When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Watch to Make Into Something

jmb

I picked up a rather inaccurate COMEX Sea Dweller for use as the basis of a project. For the price it would make a good beater unless somebody that knew about such things decided to give it more than a quick glance. Now I just need to figure out what to make out of it! :lol:

The Bad:

The COMEX logo is all wrong in size as well as font. Really nothing more needs to be said.

The case back really isn't correct for a COMEX Sea Dweller from what I can research.

The Crystal does not match any COMEX Sea Dwellers with this style dial that I can find.

The Good:

I think it has a fairly nice non-SEL band

Nice dome plexi crystal

Case has thru lug holes. Even though they will need to be drilled it's easier/quicker when these pilot holes are there.

An OK case back for a regular Sea Dweller.

Case has old style He valve.

For your viewing pleasure or displeasure as the case may be. :bicycle:

COMEX SD 1.jpg

COMEX SD 3.jpg

COMEX SD 5.jpg

COMEX SD 6.jpg

COMEX SD 7.jpg

Ditto Alligoat.

The (main) problem with these esoteric models is that the small handful of people who know enough about them to appreciate seeing 1 will call it out as a fake in a heartbeat. To everyone else, it is either just a Sub or another fake Rolex, depending on the context.

To be fair, even the most accurate reps (and even gens) are still going to be considered as reps to anyone who cares to notice, so from that point of view, if it's going to be questioned anyway, accuracy is a redundant concern: What I mean by that, is the questioner probably doesn't know one type of Sub from another, all they see, is the word 'Rolex' on the dial (or recognize the style of watch) and know that Rolex = Fake :bangin: I take more comfort in knowing that most observers simply don't care, and wear what I like the look of :drinks:

The folks I work with would neither know or care if something is real or not but I do like things to be "reasonable" as long as a firstborn or body part does not have to be parted with!

The folks I work with would neither know or care if something is real or not

True. The crackers I work and mingle with will notice any watch I wear only to the extent; "Hey Dems, what time is it?" :lol:

I would imagine the members here that are monetarily successful professionals are more looking over their shoulders. Breaking a sweat in mixed company more than likely. Ewwww. What's that like I wonder? :lol: