When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comparison V1.. V3... Ultimate DSSD

lanikai

If you have not viewed the Ultimate full DSSD review fo here>Ultimate DSSD review

This is a comparison of the V1~V3 and Ultimate.. so those of you who are wondering what the V1 and V3 was all about.. some of us bought the 3 versions.. I'm not bragging this fact.. believe me.. :lol:

the most glaring issues were fixed on the DSSD Ultimate..

Mainly on the dial.. the sandwich date window.. imo the biggest flaw on the V1 and 3 was the date window, and important to me is that it is a "sandwich" and not just beveled.

The improvement in the rehaut engraving is very obvious to the naked eye.. the V1 and V3 used the same rehaut.. the engraving was too deep and evident,.. the Ultimate is very hard to view.. it disappears at angles as the genuine does.. it is ..imo not 1:1.. but very, very close, and when it's this close it becomes a non issue for me... the date window could not be hidden. The biggest upgrade also, is of course the brighter steel with more sheen.

but this is just an info post.. cause if you see any of the issues on the V1 and V3 on other reps it would be old factory parts being used which does us no good as far as spending more money on corrected dials ..etc.

these parts may pop up down the road in other versions claiming to be better.. these would be the tells that you are looking for in choosing the best DSSD..

the He on the Ultimate could use some some work.. Our stellar member Gioarmani has fixed this issue on other reps.. I'm sure his tutorial can be used to do the same here.

This is the first ever DSSD to be released

the engraving is not too far off base but the clearance to the engraving from the case was low

v13ulti002.jpg

Of course the date window was way off

v13ulti003.jpg

The camera lens does not convey the deep engraving on the rehaut.. but view the right side of the rehaut,

you can get an idea of how deeply the engraving was done.

v13ulti004.jpg

The Ultimate..

The ring Lock engraving a little thinner on the Ultimate, the one mod that I could see, is polishing the finish more

around the inner bezel.. a cape cod cloth would loose the "brushed" look... not too hard to do. ..imo..and if the engraving needs repainting .. just a permanent marker would do it.

this is if your into "fiddling" with the rep as a hobby, for a more genuine look... one thing that makes this hobby so much fun..

v13ulti013.jpg

again the date window fix

dssdreview031.jpg

The rehaut was much harder to capture on the Ultimate

dssdreview064.jpg

the V1 and V3 has a very flat crystal.. the slight dome was almost absent on both

dssdreview160.jpg

the Ultimate has a definite dome to the crystal, and a better spacing with the insert

dssdreview156.jpg

I need to mention the choice of inserts for the Ultimate.. the 10 spacing is definitely off... the dealer that was coordinating the making of the Ultimate had the choice of the corrected bezel.. but, the inconsistency in the pearl being off centered is what opted the incorrect 10 spacing to be used..thinking about it I would choose the incorrect 10 over an offset pearl... my dealer could source me the correct insert, but it is hit and miss for the pearl.. I noted to the dealer that if the insert I ordered does not have a centered pearl I would take a refund before shipping.. fingers crossed that the pearl is centered.

This is the V3, the same rehaut engraving was used as the V1.. the clearance seems a little better, but still thicker engraving in the ring lock, the same crystal was used, the same dial.. the only difference I think at first glance was the clearance of the ring Lock engraving

v13ulti009.jpg

Finally the glide lock system on the V3 was terrible.. the V1 was better the Ultimate nailed it.

So if you see any of the issues in the rehaut on DSSD of the future .. you'll know surplus parts are being used. the Ultimate ..imo is the standard when looking at different versions

thanks for viewing.

AC/Lani

Really not a lot of difference. I would have expected a much more drastic evolution between them. Thanks, Lani...

it is the subtle differences that are huge.. when dealing with detail .. on the surface it may not seem like much.. but the little things are what make or break the rep.. attention to detail is sometimes very minute..

The Glide Lock system on my V3 works perfectly with no issue. I have compared it to the GEN and it functions the same.

You are lucky mine did not.. I used a Zulu strap which I grew to like.. my ultimate is cool though .. I like the bracelet again.

Good post 'lanikai'. These comparisons are invaluable to both the noob, and to the established membership who may want to guide a noob, but don't have the time to compose a post because of time restraints. Or, to us Seniors who are not paying attention. A 'link' to this thread, or if we are of sterner stuff; a 'Search' to this thread is, well, as I said; invaluable.

And to any noob who may be puzzling over the fact the 'ten' on the bezel is flawed, and why the factories don't surmount these 'tells' when they certainly can, and to 'flaws' in general? Well

so those of you who are wondering what the V1 and V3 was all about.. some of us bought the 3 versions..

3X watches of one model to one collector. Happens all the time. Frustrating to us, brilliant on their part. It's a business like any other. The market actually supports the practice. We support it in our western impatience and need for immediate gratification. They know their market. Oh yeah. In 'replica' patience pays. But be aware; that 'ten' may indeed be corrected in the 'Perfect Ultimate', but that sandwich date window? It may fall the way of the domed plexi Speedmaster Moon Watch crystal. It's a game and a gamble. The house always comes out ahead.