When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Swiss ETA

Guest Carl

This topic actually owes it's start to a topic on the Rolex subforum but I think it's time to get some of your opinions on this question as it applies to a wide variety of reps:

Which dealer(s) today do you trust to supply a genuine Swiss ETA movement in the reps they sell? Why?

Who do you modders trust to source a genuine Swiss ETA movement for your projects? Why?

I'm not clear on this subject and if we are asked to pay $100-$150-$200 more for a "Swiss" ETA movement over a 21j seagull how can we justify it?

Is a Chinese made ETA copy worth the price differential?

I'm interested in what you think.

Carl

One thing to consider, if you get an ETA it would most likely be an old/surplus movement and generally need servicing, at least if you get an asian clone of the 2824/36 it will only be a year old at most!

Personally these days i would go for the Asian clone.

There are many posts on here and other boards where the Asians have been stripped and compared to ETA 28xx movements with very positive results.

If i wanted a ETA, i would order it in from Bolly.

being where you are the only person i would send a watch to is Ziggy.

As far as the "genuine EA's" in Reps, who knows where they source them, if they are new, used ,stolen,etc.One recurring theme seems to be that they are dirty, dry and almost always benefit from a clean/lube.

As far asa source for movements to use for modding, common models can be gotten from various watch repair supply houses such as Ofrei. If it's a less well known or older model, probably the best sources are NOS watches, or used watches either from dealers, pawnshops or ebay. ther are literally millions of good used watches out there mostly from less well known makers that can be gotten at a very reasonable price.I purchassed two movements for old Doxa Sub 300's by buying "donor "watches from watch dealers.

Arthur

Like Panerai153 above, I also get my ETA movements from old watches, they can work out very cheap. Touch wood I've been extremely lucky with them so far and I'm happy to strip, clean and lube them myself (though I don't usually bother if they look clean), but if one packed up, I would just slot in another. If I did want to buy a brand new one, they are available from Cousins UK and there is an eBay seller in Switzerland sells them at a good price.

Guest techlogik

Maybe someone can answer this also.

Most Swiss ETA movements in the Rolex's are the 2836-2. These are put in many watch with only the date wheel. But the 2836-2 is a day/date wheel setup. I assume they must be getting this second hand and modifying them and removing the day wheel/parts and just run the date function on watches without the day, like subs etc???

Anyone got an idea why they wouldn't use the 2824-2? These make more sense since they are designed with just the date function?

Maybe for thickness consistency due to the fact that now they need to deal with a .45mm thinner 2824-2 movement?

Just wondering on this one.....

Thanks

Maybe someone can answer this also.

Most Swiss ETA movements in the Rolex's are the 2836-2. These are put in many watch with only the date wheel. But the 2836-2 is a day/date wheel setup. I assume they must be getting this second hand and modifying them and removing the day wheel/parts and just run the date function on watches without the day, like subs etc???

Anyone got an idea why they wouldn't use the 2824-2? These make more sense since they are designed with just the date function?

Maybe for thickness consistency due to the fact that now they need to deal with a .45mm thinner 2824-2 movement?

Just wondering on this one.....

Thanks

Maybe it's availability, but most cases are made for the 2836, so a 2824 won't fit. Also a 2836 is similar to a DG2813. But I don't know why the rep mfrs chose the 2836 over the 2824, unless it is because it's interchangeable w/ a 2813- one case fit both.