When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do some have a problem ?

lanikai

I definitely see your point and agree. However, should you feel pressured to join? Is donating $30/yr enough, or will you be made to feel guilty for "only" donating $30 when you saved hundreds? If so, then by that logic I need to go make a huge donation to a particular forum that really helped us out this year, so much so that it'll make us go broke (in essence, it's a site that helped my wife find extra work). I'd probably actually pay for that particular forum, except that it's a Delphi forum and the one running the forum would get nada (the company hosting the forum would get all the $$$).

Josetann.. you can end your wondering and guessing (because that is what your doing .. or following docs lead) what to do, and what not to do in one phrase.. "shtick around some".. you cannot gauge what is going on in one day.. look at the members who over time.. post and give to all.. look at the members who whine and take.. after time you may see a pattern.. takers and givers..and some that find a balance.

Jose.. we tried ads.. we have tried everything in your absence.. don't you think that if it would of worked we would need to ask for membership donations??

this subject is getting as old as dirt and as boring too.

if we don't get members awareness.. if I don't contribute and you don't contribute.. who will.. like all things in the world there will be those who "wait for the other guy to step up"... easy for some to just move to another forum.. this is OUR HOME .. it may not be yours.. but to some of us it is more than 30 fricken dollars a year.

sorry doc.. you need a thick skin, and a reality check to get around these forums..and since you only get 2% of your info and support here.. Why the fudge do you stick around??.. if there are so many other foras that give you so much ??? why come here as you announced on another fora when you started your first thread..? .. just to stir up shit??.. why not go to the other fora's and try the same.. I'll tell you why.. you would get the boot so far up your arse you'd go blind..this forum is one of the most free speech fora's on the net.. both good and bad..

common sense tells you if your only getting 2% outta something why use it??

Nuff of this Bull Crap.,. either shit or get off the can Doc :rolleyes:

but for every time you whine this crap.. your not thinking of this community.. just your values of getting a deal .. like I stated when you started your thread.. why not work for free and see how far that will get you.. when the mortgage is due.. when the utilities are due.. you can tell all the collectors... it should be free to all..

nuff said.. on to the next review.. raffle.. giveaway.. pictorial.. anything but this topic.. it does no one any good..

Josetann.. you can end your wondering and guessing (because that is what your doing .. or following docs lead) what to do, and what not to do in one phrase.. "shtick around some".. you cannot gauge what is going on in one day.. look at the members who over time.. post and give to all.. look at the members who whine and take.. after time you may see a pattern.. takers and givers..and some that find a balance.

Jose.. we tried ads.. we have tried everything in your absence.. don['t you think that if it would of worked we would need to ask for membership donations??

Ok...how about this?

A lot of non-paying members are feeling alienated/annoyed/whatever (I'm not sure of the correct term to use) because they're not contributing. Why not simply annoy them by making them look at ads instead? Six of one, half dozen of the other. I must note that I do not know how many users actually feel alienated due to this issue. From reading the other 10+ page thread, looks like it might be a big problem.

If you don't care what the free-loaders think (the "takers"), then who cares if they get [censored] off by a few ads?

Paying members wouldn't see the ads. So the members who you believe matter the most (and I'm not arguing with you) won't be affected by this at all. It'd also be one more incentive to become a paying member; in addition to extra forums and the prestige of being a paying member, no more "Click the Monkey!" banner ads.

I'm not sure what kinds of ads could be run though, I have a feeling many ad networks would not want to be associated with RWG. Perhaps the dealers here could buy banner-space to advertise for their sites? I dunno.

I definitely see your point and agree. However, should you feel pressured to join? Is donating $30/yr enough, or will you be made to feel guilty for "only" donating $30 when you saved hundreds? If so, then by that logic I need to go make a huge donation to a particular forum that really helped us out this year, so much so that it'll make us go broke (in essence, it's a site that helped my wife find extra work). I'd probably actually pay for that particular forum, except that it's a Delphi forum and the one running the forum would get nada (the company hosting the forum would get all the $$$).

I don't believe that anyone will or should put pressure on another member to "upgrade" I am a VIP (30.00 USD /year) member and I have never felt the slightest hint of pressure from anyone to upgrade. I believe that one should contribute to the level that they feel comfortable with and can afford. I also believe that if you utilize the sales forum to make a particularly good sale, or you are feeling flush, a donation would be very much appreciated, but certanly not mandatory. To me it's sort of like contributing to your particular church. Some folks give 1.00 dollar others give 100.00 Dollars, quite often depending on the individuals philosophy and financial situation. The 5.00 Donation is just as big and just as important from the fellow who makes minimum wage, as the 100.00 Dollar donation by a Lawyer or banker. All are important whether large or small.

Arthur

I will add one thing and then it's off to be. it's late and after 2 glasses of wine, I'm probably not making a whole helluva lot of sense. It takes X number of dollars each month to keep the forum up and running. If it's not there, the alternatives are 1) Email the "regulars" and ask for donations to cover the expenses 2) do as some forums have done, continuously search for cheaper servers that promise the moon, but often end up having all sorts of problems, down often, databases lost, etc. 3) Shut it down and everyone goes home! That basically is the range of choices available.So in order to have a viable forum, hosted by a relaible server, we have to be willing to pay the freight. Ads don't work, that was tried by the old RWG and TRC as well if I recall correctly. Sponsorships are out. This isn't Watch U Seek with a bunch of official corporate sponsorships, this is a forum that basically is dealing with illicit, illigal goods!!And on top of that, If you have ever been a member of a sponsored genuine forum, free speech is nil. Everything is fine as long as you sing the company song and always say wonderful complimentary things about the product. Try being critical of the watches, repairs customer service, etc, and the Draconian hand of the censor slaps you down so fast, you don't know what hit you. If you don't believe it, go to WUS and post a flame thread on one of the "official" forums. You thread will be deleted almost immediately.

Having said all that, I think that if the forum is valuable to you. If it's saved you money, helped you get a better watch than what you would have gotten without input from members here, kept you from getting scammed, allowed you to have a marketplace for your surplus watches, parts, accessories, etc. then you should feel and obligation to support it. If it does nothing for you, then I suppose you have no justification to contribute. In the end it's all about your sense of duty and affiliation.

Good night All

Arthur

I don't believe that anyone will or should put pressure on another member to "upgrade" I am a VIP (30.00 USD /year) member and I have never felt the slightest hint of pressure from anyone to upgrade. I believe that one should contribute to the level that they feel comfortable with and can afford. I also believe that if you utilize the sales forum to make a particularly good sale, or you are feeling flush, a donation would be very much appreciated, but certanly not mandatory. To me it's sort of like contributing to your particular church. Some folks give 1.00 dollar others give 100.00 Dollars, quite often depending on the individuals philosophy and financial situation. The 5.00 Donation is just as big and just as important from the fellow who makes minimum wage, as the 100.00 Dollar donation by a Lawyer or banker. All are important whether large or small.

Arthur

Well, two things have been said about me just in this thread:

A member who states he is more into gens. now and only visits here twice a year seems to have a problem with the cost of keeping this forum online..

I can't believe that those who are into GENS (meaning they have the funds koz they could AFFORD da GENS) are the ones complaining about supporting RWG....this place.........I say: "AMEN to Lani!"

I take it that these members have a problem with me not donating to the site since I "obviously" have the funds. I'd say that's in the realm of pressuring people to donate. I explained why it wasn't worth it to me at this point in time in the other thread. It has nothing to do with our bank account (I'm sure many here have much larger accounts than I ever will). Rather, I'm not getting that much value from the forum at this time (haven't bought a rep since the new site, don't visit often, etc.). Again, not saying it's not a great forum, that no one should bother upgrading their membership, etc. Just saying that not every person who uses the forum should feel obligated to pony up $30/yr. If we had to do that for every forum that we found the least bit useful/entertaining/etc., it'd add up pretty quickly. Then again...if every user on my forum ponied up $30/yr...hey that's not a bad idea!

I'm not trying to fan any flames, I'll try to bow out of this discussion now. Let's see how long that lasts :)

Josetann.. you can end your wondering and guessing (because that is what your doing .. or following docs lead) ...

sorry doc.. you need a thick skin, and a reality check to get around these forums..and since you only get 2% of your info and support here.. Why the fudge do you stick around??.. if there are so many other foras that give you so much ??? why come here as you announced on another fora when you started your first thread..? .. just to stir up [censored]??.. why not go to the other fora's and try the same.. I'll tell you why.. you would get the boot so far up your [censored] you'd go blind..this forum is one of the most free speech fora's on the net.. both good and bad..

common sense tells you if your only getting 2% outta something why use it??

Nuff of this Bull Crap.,. either [censored] or get off the can Doc :rolleyes:

but for every time you whine this crap.. your not thinking of this community.. just your values of getting a deal .. like I stated when you started your thread.. why not work for free and see how far that will get you.. when the mortgage is due.. when the utilities are due.. you can tell all the collectors... it should be free to all..

You know what? I've bent over backwards to accommodate your fragile ego, Lani. I said I always liked you. Well, I don't anymore. You're an idiot.

Sometimes I wonder if you can speak or write English. Someone posts--me, Josetann, Corgi, or anyone who doesn't kowtow to YOUR opinion--and your reply doesn't make any sense. It's gibberish. You ignore pretty much everything that's written and make up your own sh!t. Gibberish.

I HAVE a thick skin, and I've been on the fora. Maybe not since 2006, as you have, but I've been on MORE fora than you have. I don't bash people for not paying up. How the fook do I know what their circumstances are? I don't. And neither do you.

But why do I bother explaining anything to you? You either won't understand it, or you'll simply ignore it and go off on some irrational rant.

As for why I continue to visit this board, frankly, it's none of your business, as is whether I sH!t or get off the can. I've been here since 2007, paid up, and unless I'm banned, I'll visit and post here as often as I like. And when I don't want to come here, I'll stop.

Block my posts if you can't handle them, or when you can't resist the urge to reply irrationally, frankly I don't care.

You know what? I've bent over backwards to accommodate your fragile ego, Lani. I said I always liked you. Well, I don't anymore. You're an idiot.

Sometimes I wonder if you can speak or write English. Someone posts--me, Josetann, Corgi, or anyone who doesn't kowtow to YOUR opinion--and your reply doesn't make any sense. It's gibberish. You ignore pretty much everything that's written and make up your own sh!t. Gibberish.

I HAVE a thick skin, and I've been on the fora. Maybe not since 2006, as you have, but I've been on MORE fora than you have. I don't bash people for not paying up. How the fook do I know what their circumstances are? I don't. And neither do you.

But why do I bother explaining anything to you? You either won't understand it, or you'll simply ignore it and go off on some irrational rant.

As for why I continue to visit this board, frankly, it's none of your business, as is whether I sH!t or get off the can. I've been here since 2007, paid up, and unless I'm banned, I'll visit and post here as often as I like. And when I don't want to come here, I'll stop.

Block my posts if you can't handle them, or when you can't resist the urge to reply irrationally, frankly I don't care.

tis not my ego your attacking Allergy.. :lol:

to me it is the principles of what we are trying to accomplish.. (without your help of course)

and obviously when your ego or, akine to what can be called an ego is hurt you resort to pety name calling and insignificant semantics..

the bottom line is... you really don't bother me with your childlike phrases..

I value intelligent opinions .. but a drunk that goes off with his emotions does not quantify as a learned mans point of view.. your absolutely correct in that I will never understand people talking out the side of their throats..

and please do better than claiming I'm some tyrant that bashes people in need, that cannot afford tomorrows bread for their family.. you can do better than that I'm sure.. that it's below the belt only proves your petty thought's..

do what you want, no ones stopping you.. but if you can make assumptions, and if it's me that is causing all the pain then I should be able to repute.. I just brought up your own statement that you only get 2% off this forum ?... I just wondered why you bother if it's so mundane... and the other fora's have so much more to offer.

I speak and understand a little English .. still trying to understand your higher mentality though..that in and of itself may take an abstract view on reality.. but .. I may get a hint of it if I try and understand how children think..

Or as the saying goes... "Sticks and stones may hurt ma bones.......... but whips and chains excite me".. :lol:

And for the record my opinion will always be.. this forum is here for all to gain knowledge and benefit from.. supporter or not.. and if you have gained as much as I or many others have, then give back .. many do everyday.. helping others.. donating ... all sorts of ways.. .. I will always stand by.. "take what you need and leave the rest"..

Cause after nearly seeing my maker this year.. your words is like wind in my face...... not an issue one way or the other..

so do what you do Doc.. I never hold grudges.. it's a waste of good energy for me to do so..

I've been called worse by better people... :yu:

AC/Lani

At the end of the day, something which I feel might be going over people's heads, is that there are more ways to contribute to the community of this forum, than cold hard cash. Someone might donate a Benjamin towards the cause, but never write reviews, never put items up for auction or raffle, never give parts to members in need, never actually just 'hang out and shoot the breeze'. Sure, they're paying their way financially, but in terms of actually contributing something to the community, they do nothing. A review might not help to keep the lights on, but if it saves someone cash from buying overpriced junk, then that's helping someone, and at the end of the day, that's what this community is all about: Helping its brothers. :drinks:

OK now I'm composing a PM to 'AllergyDoc' and I am going to send it. :)

LMAO! I laughed so hard I woke up my wife. BTW you're in big trouble for that. Certainly not that it came at 'lanikai' 's expense, but because you now live where 'Demsey' lives (lived).

Part and parcel to the PM I wrote but deleted was an anecdote from the old RWG;

A new member from Turkey '******' posted a strap he had made for a Panerai. I complimented him on that (even tho' I hate Panerai, hate them even more on 'straps' but it was good work) welcomed him as a noob and made mention, as an aside, that I appreciated his country as being secular Muslim as functioning capitalist. I went on to say, that the Middle East would be far better off if the Turks were still in the seat of present day Iraq, the old center of the Ottoman Empire.

'******' came alive ranting that he had just come here to share his 'skills' as a leather craftsman (uh OK) and not to read the comments of a 'racist'. Ummmm, huh? Then all the usual trolls jumped in on his bandwagon; "Yeah Demsey, WTF? Can't you just put the politics aside just ONCE? Never mind Demsey '******' he's just a troll." I went into damage control mode for about three pages to no avail. I pulled out all the 'Demsey' stops to illustrate that my original post was a [censored] compliment. Then Clive jumped in with; "You know the best part 'Dimsey'? You dug this hole yourself. Tsk, tsk." It was fun actually. Better than the Soduku. Anyhoo I defused the entire thread with a comment:

"You know, it's not the fact that everybody in this thread is stark raving ignorant, and you all are, that I find frustrating, it's the fact that the majority of you come from English speaking countries and you have zero command of rhetorical English. Honestly, trying to communicate with you people is like playing Poker with my kids. They are 5 and 7".

I'm not so sure they understood that passage anymore than all the rest but that pretty much put the cap on it.

You know what Doc? I'm going to post this PM on the board myself. Just to illustrate; as soon as I do, someone will read it and come to the errant conclusion here;

"So Dems, you think we are all ignorant too huh? Well you and 'AllergyDoc' can both go [censored] off!" Sigh. You just know that's coming. Everyone posts, nobody reads.

I don't have any problem with Doc's original premise. If he has the links to the specifics I would like to examine them. I would like to think I pay attention here, but perhaps not enough. I just don't see the purported elitism that is the impetus of Doc's OP. But the fall out has been absolutely ridiculous. Let me get this straight, there are now no less than three separate threads with regard? Me thinks we all doth protest too much. Page after page of folk not so much trying to prove to Doc we are awesome, as much as page after page trying to convince ourselves we are. It's all pretty [censored] stupid.

Entertaining the notion to this extent is a waste. Somewhere there is a noob left hanging because of it. I'm not so sure what I would make of all this if I registered yesterday and came across it looking for the best Sub. I'd probably just get George's email addy, my WM9 and scoot.