When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone ride a scooter in an urban environment?

rek001

Hi all, hope you are having a nice weekend getting ready for the holidays.

I live in Chicago, the congested North Side to be exact, and am thinking of getting a scooter to get to work. I'm getting fed up with CTA, our public transit, we have the highest fares in the nation, and now they will be cutting service on top of that. Enough already!

Ideally I should ride my bike around town, but, to be honest, I am leery. I've seen too many near-accidents involving bikes and cars. A scooter, being motorized, would be perceived as more of a vehicle in city streets, I think.

But again, I am a bit leery of having all my limbs exposed while piloting a scooter. Also, the condition of a lot of our streets is not the best, lots of potholes and crumbling asphalt.

I see more and more people riding scooters in downtown Chicago, and I am a bit envious, it looks very cool. I would have a nice, dry space to park it too - we have an indoor parking space for our car and I could park it at end, behind the car. Of course I'd wait until spring to get one, right now we have about 2 inches of slush on the streets.

So, what do you guys think of riding a scooter in the city?

I thank you in advance for your responses.

Sod that buy a harley, put a loud exhaust on it to keep the people away from you and ride it like you stole it.

Serriosly, Small bikes in biult up areas are a great solution with conjetion and fuel but you have to have you eyes and easr open to avoid the loon car drivers,

Speaking from bike experience in Paris, london, new york, bermingham and many more

A mtn bike and Ruger Redhawk strapped on. "An armed society is a polite society".

Hey it works here, but we also can legally carry concealed w/o a permit.

Prepare to have it bruise the heck out of your hip!

A scooter is a very effective way to zip around.. the one issue to remember is, motorist don't "see" you.. be very aware of intersections.. as scooters are very quiet.. the reason for loud pipes on my Harley is to be heard especially when your hidden behind large delivery trucks etc...

never take for granted traveling through intersections.. idiots are plentiful..left turns .. etc.

better to have a healthy fear than none at all..

take a safety course if your never been on 2 wheels with a motor.. it may seem too basic .. but ... experienced riders get that way form not making too many mistakes.. "ah shit" is not something you wanna say on the road..

keep the rubber side down and you'll be fine :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

Thanks for replies, guys.

I'm def not a Harley type, and don't want to invest that much money into it.

I'm thinking it over, sounds like it would be exhilarating...but with an overlay of caution.

Not sure it would be worth it.