When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC Issues

Frankie

Is it just that I am unlucky or are more and more watches having a lack of Quality Control.

I am not particularly talking about the Cartel but dealers that say they do QC before sending them out.

I am not getting at anyone in particular as the dealers I use are all very good and have worked very hard to correct all problems, but the last 4 watches I,ve had all have had QC issues.

1. Porsche Flat 6 - chrono hand is very difficult to reset if its been running for more than a few minutes and the crown is very wobbly when pulled out.

2. Breitling Super Avenger. Stopped shortly after I got it and had to go to a repairers

3. Pam 111. The amazing backwards ticking watch (video posted on this site) This is now resolved

4. U-Boat. This arrived with a cracked crystal. Put this down to bad handling in transit but the main issue was the hour hand did,nt line up on the hour mark but halfway between the hour marks. Watch sent back.

As previously said, I have no issues with the dealers after sales care as they have always helped which is why I use them, however apart from the cracked crystal most of the above faults could of been avoided with correct QC.

I know QC issues are part of the world of reps and perhaps I,ve just been unlucky but I now open a new parcel with anticipation of a problem rather than joy of a new watch.

Suppose its my advancing years I,m begining to be a cup half empty kind of guy.

Dealers please help me get my confidence back for my 2010 purchses :)

I have been through the same sort of problems, though not as many watches mate.

Hopefully things will turn for you next year and the glass will get half full again.

I suppose we can expect these sorts of problems but it doesnt stop the disappointment when it happens, the problem is its all hit and miss but at least your getting it sorted and will be able to enjoy your buys eventually.

Just enjoy your christmas tomorrows another day :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Im sorry to hear about your qc problems. I think most of this Is due to DS. I have been lucky so far, out of eleven watches I only had to send one back,pam FB. The other issues I have had are one Breitling SA with a scratched outer AR. I also had scratches on my breitling Motors T bracelet clasp. So by and large I think I have been pretty lucky. I have to agree with PeteM, "It's a crap shoot". I wish you the best of luck In 2010 :drinks: Mike

Is it just that I am unlucky or are more and more watches having a lack of Quality Control.

I am not particularly talking about the Cartel but dealers that say they do QC before sending them out.

I am not getting at anyone in particular as the dealers I use are all very good and have worked very hard to correct all problems, but the last 4 watches I,ve had all have had QC issues.

1. Porsche Flat 6 - chrono hand is very difficult to reset if its been running for more than a few minutes and the crown is very wobbly when pulled out.

2. Breitling Super Avenger. Stopped shortly after I got it and had to go to a repairers

3. Pam 111. The amazing backwards ticking watch (video posted on this site) This is now resolved

4. U-Boat. This arrived with a cracked crystal. Put this down to bad handling in transit but the main issue was the hour hand did,nt line up on the hour mark but halfway between the hour marks. Watch sent back.

As previously said, I have no issues with the dealers after sales care as they have always helped which is why I use them, however apart from the cracked crystal most of the above faults could of been avoided with correct QC.

I know QC issues are part of the world of reps and perhaps I,ve just been unlucky but I now open a new parcel with anticipation of a problem rather than joy of a new watch.

Suppose its my advancing years I,m begining to be a cup half empty kind of guy.

Dealers please help me get my confidence back for my 2010 purchses :) Everyone have a wonderful Christmas :thumbsupsmileyanim:

this issue seems to be coming up more and more these days, possibly it's bacause more and more reps are expensive, up in the 400+ dollar range as opposed to the 100-200 dollar range a few years back, the other thing may be some of the dealers touting their QC, their "ultimate, Best, Copied from a genuine, 1:1, etc.obviously lead to higher expectations of quality by the buyer.Years ago, the dealers were pretty up front that things may not be "perfect". I remember years ago Eddie Lee's waterproof warranty "Waterproof to run through a rain shower". In reality, QC with most is a myth. there are some dealers who inspect every watch, tweak them, and reject the ones that have problems. i would guess that this is the exception rather than the rule.Watches in China are assembled by "on the job" trained people, probably working on a "Piece Rate" basis, which rewards speed over quality. These aren't trained Swiss watchmakers who will not let a watch leave their bench until it's perfect.

We expect a 300 dollar copy of a 7000 dollar watch to be exactly like the real deal, and unfortunately, it isn't going to happen.Sometimes you are fortunate to receive a watch that is as good as they can make it, sometimes the watch Gods are frowning and you get one that has a lot of problems, as you said it's a crap shoot.

Arthur

this issue seems to be coming up more and more these days, possibly it's bacause more and more reps are expensive, up in the 400+ dollar range as opposed to the 100-200 dollar range a few years back, the other thing may be some of the dealers touting their QC, their "ultimate, Best, Copied from a genuine, 1:1, etc.obviously lead to higher expectations of quality by the buyer.Years ago, the dealers were pretty up front that things may not be "perfect". I remember years ago Eddie Lee's waterproof warranty "Waterproof to run through a rain shower". In reality, QC with most is a myth. there are some dealers who inspect every watch, tweak them, and reject the ones that have problems. i would guess that this is the exception rather than the rule.Watches in China are assembled by "on the job" trained people, probably working on a "Piece Rate" basis, which rewards speed over quality. These aren't trained Swiss watchmakers who will not let a watch leave their bench until it's perfect.

We expect a 300 dollar copy of a 7000 dollar watch to be exactly like the real deal, and unfortunately, it isn't going to happen.Sometimes you are fortunate to receive a watch that is as good as they can make it, sometimes the watch Gods are frowning and you get one that has a lot of problems, as you said it's a crap shoot.

Arthur

I totally agree with that but it is infuriating to pay the additional cost of some of these watches from big dealers who continue to justify that cost by claiming a premium service through great QC, communication etc yet it doesnt happen. The imperfections I can accept and in most cases expect but the inconsistencies undermine the justification of the additional premiums to price. If you go to the smaller dealer like Hont you get the same watch cheaper and he, yes he does the QC and wont send it out unless he is happy with it. There are others also that do this but the majority of us still use the bigger dealers mainly I think because the shopping process is easier. You know the site has a large selection of watches you can see what you hope you will get and you can order and buy there and then. With the others like Hont you need to Em ail him describe it or send a link then he sources it etc etc the whole thing is more protracted.

I think this is more to do with how we as customers shop nowadays and we need to put aside our normal shopping habits and treat this shopping process in a different way with more thought and care with a willingness to protract the process through E mails etc and be ready for replies not being as quick as we would like.

Certainly the more experienced guys here do that and are happy with that. Its noobies like me that learn the hard way but thats changing I hope and now the kid in the sweet store attitude has been diluted in me I can start to see this is a completely different shopping experience to what I am use to and if I want to get the best I can at the right price I need to adjust accordingly.

All below not directed to OP - but Gen obs.

1:1

Ultimate

Full Q.C

Swiss ETA

No Dropship

etc

etc

All the above are majoritive dealer waffle to help you part with your $$

Simple fact of the matter is that we are just fry in the big pond in relation to what the 'Cartel' sell - Unless a dealer has a solid reputation for physical checking over watches and has the backup of his reputation to know exact what flaws are in his watches + sells in a small enough volume to do this then I would take the rest as sales tosh.

Are our Dealers fully trained in what they are looking for in terms of Q.C ? ? ? or is Q.C just "Strap"-check - "dial"-check - etc.

The Rep world will never be any different - It all revolves around the Dollar signs - and to the Dealer you are only as good as your last purchase, cos for everyone one of you he has hundreds lined up to take your place.

Lets welcome 2010 and to the next wave of ultimates and V.2, v.3. v.3's etc etc

Sadly, your experience is the norm with rep watches, which are constructed with little or no QC. Your options are to contact the seller for repair/exchange options or have them serviced locally (a good idea since the movements in rep watches are neither new nor serviced & are likely to fail sooner rather than later - all mechanical movements should be serviced every 5-7 years).