When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to build with an E series Movement?

Watchmeister

Hi Guys-

Thinking about projects for 2010. I have a really good E series movement from a past trade laying around and want to put it to use. What would you build? Fiddy is out - been there and done that. Remember the movement can be used as Base or Marina (with or without sub-seconds). I am open-minded to just about anything and am typically fairly resourceful at getting parts. So feel free to think outside the box. In truth I am on vacation so being lazy but I thought I would get other folks thoughts.

Thanks in advance-

Kruz

Thanks for the suggestions. The 172 has always intrigued me but it would bother me to have a Tantalum watch not made of tantalum(i.e. without Tantalum the watch is not deserving of a gen movement). The ti 118 is definitely intriguing though. I don't currently own a ti PAM (other than a 170) so that may be the ticket. Any other ideas? :)

Yep, something in ti would be cool. 116 or 118 would be my choice.

I'd stay away from the Tantalium Pams. Even if you go with a steel case the weight is a dead give away, much more so with a ti case. Tantalium is 16.6 grams per cubiccentimetre, steel is 7.9 and titanium 4.5.

A tantalium 172 should weigh about twice as much as a normal steel pam.

The ti with brown dial sounds very intriguing. I have an old Josh 36 lying about so I have a case and so now the question is what the best dial and case back combo? I hadn't thought about a Destro but that is intriguing. I can't go with a 111 because I already have the ultimate 111 - a Fiddy. :lol: Can't go with standard ss base as I had a gen for quite a while before sending it off to another esteemed member.

I'd stay away from the Tantalium Pams. Even if you go with a steel case the weight is a dead give away, much more so with a ti case. Tantalium is 16.6 grams per cubiccentimetre, steel is 7.9 and titanium 4.5.

A tantalium 172 should weigh about twice as much as a normal steel pam.

Perhaps drilling a few "dimples" on the inner surface of the case and filling them with lead :lol:

That and an Oxi bath.

Lead is a whole lot lighter than tantalium :D - 11.3 g / cm^3

Making a movement ring from tungsten could be something. A tungsten movement ring would weigh about 22g wheres the same ring from steel is about 9.3g. I think it is possible to add about 15g with this trick if one makes a as big as possible movement ring.

EDIT:

I just put a 44mm case with crownguard and crown on a scale. To replicate the weight of a tantalium case additional 46g are needed. For a 18k gold pam additional 60g are needed. Much more than possible with a steel case...