When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Audemars Piguet ROO Rubens Barrichello review!

gioarmani

My first Audemars Piguet. :)

This is part II of my review of eight pieces from my Euromtimez Christmas order. First was the Tag SLR chrono, then this piece, tomorrow or Saturday will be my IWC 06 Cousteau and the AP ROO quartz. I also ordered a couple of Hublots, but since the order was so large it was split into three packages (apparently for Florida, nothing shipped after Dec 4th made it before Christmas...)

Here is the gen:

http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Offshore-Rubens-Barrichello-Chronograph-2792.html

26078POOOD018CR01.jpg

The rep is amazingly close to the gen. On to the pictures:

IMG_4944.jpg

This is the piece in stainless steel, not titanium; blue crocodile strap, blue dial with black underlay, silver sub-dials, silver hands, black chrono-hands, ceramic bezels, ceramic chrono-pushers, and a steel crown with a ceramic AP branding. All the chrono-hands reset as they should.

To be frank, I don't know anything about AP, other than the correct pronunciation. But after looking at pics of the gen I decided this was close enough to the real thing to actually spring for it. So, since I am uneducated as to the ins & outs of the ROO, I'll just let the pics do most of the speaking.

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

The pushers:

IMG_4965.jpg

Side of the case with crown:

IMG_4952.jpg

Side of the case & ceramic bezel:

IMG_4958.jpg

The inside of the croc band:

IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

The band's clasp is also simplistic, but effective. I thought I was going to have to wear kid-gloves with it, but whatever the material & construction, it's quite strong and doesn't seem to want to give.

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4946.jpg

The end is nicely engraved as well--very crisp & sharp.

IMG_4969.jpg

The AP engraving on the case, near the case-back.

IMG_4964.jpg

And the case-back itself; held onto the case with eight hex-screws. Even though I haven't had this tested, I imagine after lubricating it would be waterproof; the crown screws down tight, and the case-back was a royal pain in the ass to get off.

IMG_4951.jpg

And the case-back markings:

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

And the lume:

IMG_5040.jpg

All in all, that's pretty much it. I've also worried about the look of this piece on a smaller wrist, but this watch (as the cliche' goes) truly does disappear on the wrist. Even being a 44mm, it doesn't feel much bigger than the DSSD--which up to last week, was the largest profile watch I owned. The leather strap is also quite comfortable--more so than even the rubber strap.

IMG_4973.jpg

Anyway, hoped you liked this quasi-noob AP review, and feel free to educate me with the AP trivia (so I don't sound like a fool if someone asks me about this piece). :)

Take care & Happy New Year!

Guest Sql_pl

That's a beauty but I think you should know that genuine of this with blue face is available only in platinum so you got yourself the most expensive RB2 available :)

Wear it well!