When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO Survivor quartz review!

gioarmani

As stated in my last (and only other) AP review, this is the less-expensive quartz version of the Royal Oak Offshore from Eurotimez.

This is the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Survivor Ltd:

IMG_4974.jpg

This is only my second AP, and more to the point, my first quartz watch. This was intended to be a Christmas gift, but thanks to our glorious US Postal Service, didn't show until Dec 26th...

Not knowing anything about the ROO, I naturally figured being a quartz model, the chrono's sub-dials would be a bit off, as with most other models.

The shape & build of the case & ceramic bezel certainly leave nothing to be desired. Sharp, crisp, clean lines as they should be, and a beautiful dial to boot.

IMG_4976.jpg

As you can see, the most prominent aesthetic feature of this piece are the chrono-pusher guards.

Closed:

IMG_4975.jpg

And open:

IMG_4984.jpg

And from the back:

IMG_4982.jpg

The case-back is nicely detailed with the ribbed center and all markings/engravings.

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

The branding on the interior of the rubber straps is extremely crisp and damn-near flawless looking as well:

IMG_4978.jpg

IMG_4979.jpg

The buckle is superb as well:

IMG_4996.jpg

IMG_4995.jpg

The crown is just like the one on the Barrichello I reviewed--a ceramic inlay with the AP branding, nice & sharp:

IMG_4985.jpg

The case's side--here's the lug-side & band:

IMG_4998.jpg

And here's the case side, at 9 o'clock:

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

And finally, the ubiquitous lume-shot:

IMG_5037.jpg

Being quartz, of course it keeps perfect time and all chrono hands realign properly. The seconds sub-dial does tick, not sweep, btw. This being my first quartz, I'm unsure as to whether or not there are any sweeping second-hand quartz sub-dials, so we shall see.

All in all, a very nice piece and a definite value for the money, indeed. :D

Enjoy, and have a wonderful 2010!

Take care.

IMG_4997.jpg