When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Help On Decision With A Daytona

Steve G

I've read a lot of info on the Daytona's, the issues with the 7750 movement etc, and Ive pretty much stayed away from them.

Then along comes that meteorite dial :wub: It kind of has me interested. I guess my questions are: How accurate is this watch currently. It's sort of hard to tell the dial detail from dealer pictures, hand color seems to vary also, they should be black?

Also the 7750 movement is it the old or new. I have a 187 and Navi both with the newer movement, it's real nice and smooth no reset issues. Is that because of running seconds at 9 vs. 6? Damn so much info out there i've confused myself.

So just asking for guidance please. Is the daytona a problem watch due to seconds at six regardlsess of the 7750 movement inside?

All help is much appreciated as always.

Thanks

I think the issue with the 1165xx's with mod 7750's is more of an issue on WHEN they will fail, not a question of if. The extra gears and wheels add a lot of resistance to the original gear train... Imagine a Toyota Corolla motor in a Yukon Denali body, pulling another car up a mountain pass with 7 passengers inside. That would be the equivalent in my perspective. The problem is likely with any movement- New Asian 7750, old 7750 B1, Swiss 7750, etc. And since parts are not exactly easy to get for this bastardized movement, the issue of repair becomes a problem if new parts are needed, especially if it's to replace one of the added parts to shift subdial output.

Having owned a number of these models myself in the past, I've had more problems than success with these movements. To date... I own none, and it will most likely remain that way. The only way I'll own a 116520 is if I ever decide to buy the gen, or if I'm able to get my hands on a genuine 4130 to build another frankenstein like the El Primero.

Thanks Randy I respect your input and advice. That's why I've sort of stayed away from the daytona's, the extra gears and all to achieve the seconds as at six. So far the two 7750's 28,000 bph are doing well, maybe they're more reliable with seconds at nine??

It's just that damn meteroite dial has me stoked!!

I think the issue with the 1165xx's with mod 7750's is more of an issue on WHEN they will fail, not a question of if. The extra gears and wheels add a lot of resistance to the original gear train... Imagine a Toyota Corolla motor in a Yukon Denali body, pulling another car up a mountain pass with 7 passengers inside. That would be the equivalent in my perspective. The problem is likely with any movement- New Asian 7750, old 7750 B1, Swiss 7750, etc. And since parts are not exactly easy to get for this bastardized movement, the issue of repair becomes a problem if new parts are needed, especially if it's to replace one of the added parts to shift subdial output.

Having owned a number of these models myself in the past, I've had more problems than success with these movements. To date... I own none, and it will most likely remain that way. The only way I'll own a 116520 is if I ever decide to buy the gen, or if I'm able to get my hands on a genuine 4130 to build another frankenstein like the El Primero.

mine worked fine in the beginning and stopped working after about 7 months....I won't even consider to get it fixed :(

Thanks Randy I respect your input and advice. That's why I've sort of stayed away from the daytona's, the extra gears and all to achieve the seconds as at six. So far the two 7750's 28,000 bph are doing well, maybe they're more reliable with seconds at nine??

It's just that damn meteroite dial has me stoked!!

ok, i don't know if this will hurt you or help. i to liked this dial so i sent ruby a picture of the gen and she went to the factory and looked at it for me because the pictures don't show enough light on the dial to see what it really looks like. she told me the dial doesn't have that white silvery glow like the gen. it was a little more gray and didn't have that glow.

now with all of that said, razor over at rwi has 2 of them comming and said he would post some good pics for all to see, so i am still intrested to see. i guess it is just one of those things that i want to see with my own eyes. lol :blink: