When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam196 A Little Tidbit

rolli

hey man,

my watchmaker-master build-in a gen swiss valjoux 7750.

i know that , he's a friend of mine. you have to know there is a trick mixed with experiences.

rolli

a beauty :-)

It must be an Asian 7750 Valijoux though since the SWISS 7750 Valjoux can't be fitted into the 196 would have to be a 7753 and looking at your date window tells me it is not.

Hope you didn't get scammed by the seller

Please, tell us more.

Did he use the gears from the Asian 7750?

Her is what I just sent to Rolli in a PM:

"so he must have taken the Swiss 7750 and mixed it with parts of the Asian 7750? The date shows clearly that ther is a gear above the date disc (which is uniques to the Asian 7750) the original date disc has the gear below, hence the date is closer to the date window. The Zigmeister worte a report about this and I own an Asian 7750 version of the 196 and a Swiss 7753 one. Furthermore he would have to have transfered the subdials with extra gears. He must really be good your watchmaker ;-)"

hi pugwash and hi lovepanerai,

my watchmaker-master is a friend of mine.

of course ther is a trick with experience.

he used first the main-plate ( block ) from asia movt.

the gear at the 12 to the 3 position ( asia gear )

the gear at the 6 position changed to the asia gear.

the gear at the 9 position must stayed.

this gear at 9 ( little second ) is very important, thats one of the whole wheelwork. the asia on this position makes trouble. it works imprecise.

this gear is important that must be from the valjoux.

the hand-axle is a little bit too short.

my watchmaker changed the hand-tube to a longer tube,

so the new hand-tube fits on the valjoux second gear-axle.

the black date wheel from the asia in the swiss valjoux.

we can talk one year long. in my 196 is an real swiss valjoux 7750 in.

i get each movement from well known watch factory. the 7753 comes in the new 250 and 251.

trust me.

rolli

Please, tell us more.

Did he use the gears from the Asian 7750?

@Pugwash

compare your watch with pictures of my old 196 Here and you will notice the differences:

New 196 subdials are smaller than gen/old rep, AR coated crystal on yours :thumbsupsmileyanim: , correct seconds tick marks on yours :thumbsupsmileyanim: , bezel wider/flatter the gen/old rep, not sure about the case back, but I believe yours doesn't have the Gxxxx/xxxx on it does it?, the old rep doesn't have the Luminor engarving on the back :thumbdown:

This all shows the old story about replica makers fixing flaws and introduce new ones at the same time :D

As far as I know there are only two high end factories making PAM's . The new one came after the orginal factory quit production. The new factory elected to cheap out with lighter case, less accurate bezel, etc. but did make it better in ways that cost them nothing (tick marks, etc.). They did add a light AR coat though. By the way, Luminor is not on the caseback of all gen 196's. Depends on the year and probably the sub-contractor. :)

By the way it is not difficult for an experienced watchsmith to swap out the Asian 7750 for a Swiss 7750. Just keep the Asian gearing to manipulate the date.