When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cannot screw the crown!

marcoxxx1984

The stem screws into the crown. This also means that it can come unscrewed. If it does, maybe you can rescrew it back into the crown, or if it's too short, you may need to get a new stem. You'll have to open the case and remove the stem from the backside- depress the release, etc. At that point you might want to consider a watchmaker. ETA stems are easy to get, not so sure about the asian 21j's though...

I did have the stem threads on a gen 1680 sub crown strip out- had to get a new crown at that point. Stem was OK.

...or it could be that you have a damaged clutch or whatever it's called in the crown (i.e. damaged crown) that should just spin when not pushed in...and will turn the stem when pushed in. My busted one only turned the stem when pulled out or down...a bit tricky to turn re-insert/re-install the stem.

I had a post on this somewhere...I'll look for it later if you PM me if you want...I had to replace the crown on mine...the trick was finding one that fit the existing tube.

Is the problem that the crown comes unscrewed from the stem or is it that the crown does not screw down on the tube?

I wouldn't think this with a gen crown and tube, however, with others the threads in the crown wears out to the point that you can't screw it down on the tube. A new crown would fix that problem.