When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick Build Help, Securing Dial To 7750 Movement

HEWLIO

Happy to say that I just received my 6263 parts about 10 minutes ago. The only thing I do not know how to do is secure the Dial to the Movement. There are little hooks on the side of the movement as you can see in the pictures. Im not going screw around with it if I don't know what to do. So what do i have to do with those little hooks? Thanks for the help.

DSC03590.jpg

DSC03589.jpg

DSC03588.jpg

With the dial seated, simply press those hooks/clamps into the movement. They will seat against the dial feet and hold it in place.

As long as the dial feet are in the correct locations & they are long enough to reach beyond the point where the locks come in from the side. I have had more than 1 aftermarket dial that failed on either or both points. :bicycle:

ok one more problem. its all together except the stem. I cant get either stems to stay in. Same problem i had last time I took a 6263 apart. which is why im in this situation building one. I can get one stem to wind it but it will not stay in. What am i doing wrong?

As per the Zigmeister from a previous post:

On the 7750, you have to press the release to get the stem to lock in place.

If you didn't press the release to get the stem to seat in place, but managed to get the stem to lock, then I suspect that you have damage to the keyless works.

I would remove the stem, the slowly and carefully put it back in place, turn it as you insert it, until it stops, then while pressing on the crown, press down on the release pin, to allow the stem to engage and lock in place. On some 7750's you have to press quite hard to get it to go back in place. You should feel and hear it click when it's seated.

Test it and see if it works. If not, then your left to take it apart, but on the 7750, you have to take a big bridge off to get at the keyless works, and getting this bridge back in place, is very difficult...

BTW how hard was it to get the hands on? I have that in front of me for yet another 6263 project....

It also came with 2 stems. one with the case and one with the movement. They both wind it if i lightly put it in there and turn. Am i supposed to switch the crowns or just use the one that came with the case. They are different lengths and the one that came with the movement is a bit thicker.

As per the Zigmeister from a previous post:

On the 7750, you have to press the release to get the stem to lock in place.

If you didn't press the release to get the stem to seat in place, but managed to get the stem to lock, then I suspect that you have damage to the keyless works.

BTW how hard was it to get the hands on? I have that in front of me for yet another 6263 project....

Ill try that. dident get it stuck yet. but i did that last time.

The hands were not hard to get on. It was the subdial hands that were a pain in the A. I dropped one on my rug and it took me a half hour to find it

DSC03598.jpg

I think the stem is too long? no? I also cant seem to secure the pushers. Is there something that im missing?

Well i screwed it up yet again. I got the stem in fine but realized it was way too long. And when i removed it i did not realize i was in the setting position. I can get the stem to go back in and go through the winding position and the setting position but the movement just wont start. I must have screwed up the keyless or some other crap. I am about spent on this project. does anyone have any options for me like an easy fix?

The good thing is that you're trying (and learning). The bad thing is that if you messed up the keyless works, it's not an 'easy' fix, but in repairing it yourself you'll learn a LOT. I suppose the easiest thing is to send it out to be repaired, but where's the fun in that?

The good thing is that you're trying (and learning). The bad thing is that if you messed up the keyless works, it's not an 'easy' fix, but in repairing it yourself you'll learn a LOT. I suppose the easiest thing is to send it out to be repaired, but where's the fun in that?

I asked 2 of the repairers on here how much they would charge to fix me problems with this. Depending on the price and if i think I can fix it myself, I will decide. Are there any tutorials on how to fix my problem?

There's a nice guide on how to disassemble and reassemble a 7750. If you'll pm me your email, I'll send it to you. There is, however 'technique' in doing it that they don't explain (so you don't have springs flying across the room). That's just something that you'll have to learn by doing. If you're going to tear it down, it would be good to clean and lubricate it at the same time (but you need the right tools and lube).

It's not a movement for the faint of heart, but it's a nice challenge. You'll run into problems, but you'll learn so much.

There's a nice guide on how to disassemble and reassemble a 7750. If you'll pm me your email, I'll send it to you. There is, however 'technique' in doing it that they don't explain (so you don't have springs flying across the room). That's just something that you'll have to learn by doing. If you're going to tear it down, it would be good to clean and lubricate it at the same time (but you need the right tools and lube).

It's not a movement for the faint of heart, but it's a nice challenge. You'll run into problems, but you'll learn so much.

Screw it. Im not taking this thing apart. Im just ganna send it to get repaired and hope it doesnt cost me too much. Ive had enough frustration in this project.

That stem is about 4 times too long. It should be cut to approximately 12 mm. Start a little longer and work your way down to the right size.

If you don't have some experience taking apart movements, I would not attempt the keyless works repair yourself. You obviously know how to remove the dial and hands. Once they are off, you will need to remove the date platform (3 screws) and the setting lever jumper (two screws). Then you need to push the sliding pinion up against the winding pinion (they both have gears that need to mesh) and secure the two in position with the yoke. Assuming you get the pinions back in place, you may have problems with the hour counter wheel moving out of position, as it sits free when the date platform is off (putting it back in position can be fun) and the hour hammer and hour hammer operating lever (and spring) are a PIA to put back if they jump out of position. It happens to me very time. Putting the date platform back on takes a little finesse and practice. I doesn't just drop back into place. The first time doing it is tough. You need to make sure that the hour counter wheel stays aligned, as well as two gears (don't know their names) that stay in the date platform and mesh with a third gear which is on stays on the main platform. As you can see, it is a little more complicated than you might think. If you are feeling brave and have the tools, you will need this.

http://www.eta.ch/sw.../7750/7750.html

Have fun :)

Marty

I was looking at your pic of the movement. It looks a little bit different than mine, which is a slow beat 7750. The basics of the repair job will still be the same.

I am asking the repairers how much it will cost to secure the pushers, shorten the stem and fix the movement. There is no way im ganna talk myself into taking that whole movement apart. But i appreciate the help. That link you sent is pretty interesting, ganna have to save that one.