When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Visusally accurate Daytona 16520

andygt

My favorite watch that I have seen on RWG is by far Ubi's beautiful white dialled 16520.

Unfortunately I think that the costs involved in building a Zenith based rep are beyond my reach.

Has anyone ever seen an accurate A21j version running secs at 9 with frozen big seconds hand?

Wish the factories would utilise the modified 7750 movement and build an accurate 16520 and save me the headache...

Wish the factories would utilise the modified 7750 movement and build an accurate 16520 and save me the headache...

When I read the title of your post Andy, I was going to chime in on this ^^^^^^^^^. AGAIN!

Other than waiting for the factories to get it together with regard to that 7750, there simple answer to your question is; "no".

As much as I try to pay attention, I'll just never understand what 'moves the wheels of forward progress' of replica. The UPO chrono with correct subdial spacing is out there, but not the Speedmasters, 6263, or the 16520? I thought 'demand' drove commerce? No, I'll never understand.

I guess the demand must be for the new versions of the daytona and whilst the timebomb secs @ 6 is still selling then maybe the factories think why bother.

I'm suprised nobody has taken on a project similar to Ubi's but using the modded closer subdial 7750 movement instead of the zenith.

I'd be interested to hear the dealers opinion on this and maybe one of them could pressure the factories...

I wouldn't hold your breath. Knowledgeable forum folks are a very small part of the rep market and most buyers will go with the newer seconds at 6. They sell fine the way they are. So I would start saving your pennies for that El Primero movement. Although I am hearing it is now very difficult to get the aftermarket cases for the El Primero so even that party may be over with.

The older Daytonas with the running seconds at 9 used to be available- they had the a7750 but the subdial spacing was wrong- too close together. In fact, Silix still has one:

http://www.silix-prime.com/rols012-p-1477.html

Once you service the a7750 you should be ready to go, but that's as close as you can get to a 16520 w/o using a Zenith/movado/ebel movement. I'm afraid moving the subdial pinions would be too much work for such a small audience.

It's the same thing w/ the vintage Daytonas w/ the a7750- wrong subdial spacing, but you can always go w/ a V72 if you're a stickler.

Yeah I've already got one of the secs @ 9 7750 but like you say the subdial spacing is way out as the dials are too far apart.

The movement for the correct spacing has already been done and is used in reps like this one:

http://perfect2clones.com/omse01021-planet-ocean-455-chrono-ssss-blkbezorg-7750-mod-p-3487.html

All it would take would be a new dial as the current 7750 case should be fine.

The 7750 in a vintage doesn't bother me so much as it looks much closer to the gen than the modern secs at 9.

Wow that's a good looking dial Ubi, is that the one you have in your black 16520?

I've got a 21j with frozen subdials on it's way from T4D so will have to see what the dial spacing is like when it arrives.

I'd be interested to know the subdial spacing dimensions of the omega I posted as it may be a possibility as a donor watch for that dial too.