When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Purchasing ETA 7750 in EU?

lukes

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a gen ETA 7750 movement in EU, to transplant into my IWC 3717. The watch was purchased from PT (UK) last fall.

Do you guys know if it will fit?

I thought about the ebay, but would be worried I am stuck with another Asian 7750 with all its problems and worries.

I have a good watchsmith to do the transplant, I just have to get the movement.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by lukes

ETA 7750 will fit the case, but the subdial and center seconds hands will need to be modified to fit the pinions.

Sorry for hijacking the thread somewhat, but what does "need to be modified" mean exactly? I have tried to search for a Howto but been to stupid (search does not seem to work for me anymore).

I have a Gen ETA 7750 I'd like to transplant into my 3717. Do I have to be a master watch maker to do this?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Val.

Val-

If I recall correct, the subdials hand tubes need to be reduced in size, and the center seconds hand needs to be broached (or it's the other way around). The pinions for these hands differ between the Swiss and Asian 28800bph 7750 movements. Zigmeister did mine for me; the process for reducing tubes is best done with a collet and I believe broaching requires some experience as well, especially considering the small size of the tube for this hand.

Wish I could double check this for you; since I upgraded to a genuine dial and hands on mine, I ended up sending my old hand set off to Lanikai, so I don't have a point of reference any longer.

Thanks very much for your kind answer, Ubi. :)

I guess I'm gonna have to think about upgrading my hands and dial as well. I have never made a movement swap before and still have to set my first set of hands. So starting with modding the hands might be a bit hefty. :animal_rooster:

Have a great Sunday.

Val.

Gen hands definitely make things much more simple, as they're a direct fit. Gen dial just adds to the overall picture :) Add some chief AR, and it's a keeper!

IMG_7974.jpg

The gen hand set also eliminates the brass tubes, which is a nice touch as well:

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

IMG_9130.jpg

IMG_8966.jpg

:)

If you like, I have an extra set of rep hands I can send to you; perhaps you can have this extra set sent out for modification to fit the Swiss 7750 ahead of time. When you get them back, you'll be able to have a 1:1 swap without the need for any downtime.

If you like, I have an extra set of rep hands I can send to you; perhaps you can have this extra set sent out for modification to fit the Swiss 7750 ahead of time. When you get them back, you'll be able to have a 1:1 swap without the need for any downtime.

:shock:

Ubi, you're really one of a kind. This is really a great offer.

Let's discuss this in PM.

Val.

To add Val.. their is a vendor in Switzerland on the bay that sells eta 7750's for around 350 usd.. right in your back yard..

they appear to be new although not in the factory sealed package.

Hmmm. That sounds very interesting, Lani. I have got one swiss 7750 already but two watches in need of a swap (the other being a PAM 164 that doesn't get around changing the date anymore).

Thanks very much for the hint! :)

Kind regards

Val.

Wow, great replies. Thanks you guys...

Can you post a link to this ebay guy?

Also, how difficult is the modification? My watchmaker seems quite good and seems willing to work on my rep, but probably doesn't know as much about reps as Zig.

Thanks again for your assistance!

• 1 month later...

I was under the impression that a serviced Asian 7750 is just as reliable as a serviced ETA 7750. If the watch ships with an Asian 7750, why not just get that serviced? Would that not be cheaper and simpler overall? I'm asking because I have a 3717 arriving in the next few days. Is it a piece of mind thing knowing there is a swiss ETA 7750 inside?

M.

I found this on RWI while researching the same question:

Genuine ETA 7750 all variants (all):

Hour 2.00mm

Minute 1.20mm

Center Seconds 0.25mm

Subdials 0.17mm

Old Asian 7750 version all variants(21,600 BPH):

Hour 2.00mm

Minute 1.20mm

Center Seconds 0.25mm

Subdials 0.17mm

New Asian 7750 (28,800 BPH) Normal ones - NOT the Daytona model (don't have one to measure):

Hour 2.00mm

Minute 1.20mm

Center Seconds 0.20mm

Subdial 0.20mm

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/3717-and-swiss-movement-26754.html?t=26754

So as you can see, the old A7750 was a direct fit but the new one has some differences.

As to servicing the A7750 vs replacing with ETA, the A7750 service costs about $200+ and a new ETA 7750 can be had for less than $400. It depends on how much you want to put into it. The gen ETA has the advantage that it may come with the day/date wheels which are a popular mod for the 3717. Concepta had a good deal going on the ETA 7750 and he is in the EU.

I decided I wouldn't worry about it either way until there was an issue. That is...if I ever get this watch. I can't seem to get any response from the dealers.

Not to take this too off-topic though $200+ to service an asian 7750 or $400 for a new ETA 7750. Considering the date wheel (approx $30 shipped for a day + date from cousins.uk) you still have to swap the asian 7750 for the ETA which isn't free unless you do it yourself. You're still over by around $150 or so by going the ETA route and all things considered, you get the same functionality from a serviced asian 7750 as you get with a new sealed package ETA 7750.

My question I suppose, is that spending an additional $150+ for the ETA 7750 really worth it? You'd have to get either movement serviced regularly going forward and either future service would be equal in price. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

M.

My question I suppose, is that spending an additional $150+ for the ETA 7750 really worth it? You'd have to get either movement serviced regularly going forward and either future service would be equal in price. Am I missing anything?

If you look at resale, gen ETA adds a lot of value. If you look at macro shots of the guts on the movements there is a huge difference in finish between the Swiss and Asian movements. Obviously, it's nothing you would see wearing it, but the movement is the "heart and soul" of the watch. So it's certainly not a waste of $150 but again, it depends on how much you want to put into it.

EDIT: I just remembered another benefit with the ETA swap. You can easily sell your A7750 (assuming there isn't anything wrong with it) making the cost difference negligible.

Edited by Hammy1

Great, thank you for your insight. I was nervous about the reliability of the Asian 7750 after seeing post after post on this board with members "swapping" for an ETA. I can now rest assured the reasoning is as per the individual preference and not born out of necessity.

Cheers!

M.