When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

His and Hers

JoJo35

Two beautiful gens :)

Both Cartier, although the first is certainly a change from all of the other pieces in my collection. While doing the research into this piece before acquiring it, I was lucky enough to find this article. My initial interest in this piece was fleeting at best, although that was before I read about the heart that beats within this particular watch. The Cartier Tank Basculante is unique in not only its reversible feature, but (quoting from the article), "it employs a movement that is nothing less than a Frederic Piguet caliber 6.10. A diminutive 6.5 lignes (15.2 millimeters) and 2.1 millimeters thick, the movement runs at 21,600 beats per hour in 21 jewels. While not the form movement we might have hoped for in a rectangular watch, the Piguet is nevertheless a first-class job, through and through. It is, for example, a much finer, much more sophisticated piece of work than Jaeger LeCoultre's basic Reverso movement, the caliber 846".

The second piece is one which I have posted here before, and is a 1570 powered, double-name Oyster Perpetual Date. At a diminutive 34mm case diameter, by today's standards it is small for a man, yet perfectly acceptable as a womans watch. A gift to L this past Christmas, it looks great on her. When I compared the two side by side, the 1570 case is easily twice as thick as the 6.10's.

Yeh, the closest you can get to a OP Date is the 6694 OysterDate from Silix

Rolex6694jpg.jpg

And the real OysterDate 6694 is actually a manual wind watch- the rep has an auto 2836-2 and small date mag, but the case is OK and I was able to build this watch as a result- a 5500 MKII"mini"-Explorer

MKIIexplorer.jpg

It's not too hard to pick up 1500 Date cases on ebay, etc. Someone already will have taken the 1570 movement out of it, of course. And you can buy a gen 1500 Date for $1000 and up.

• 1 month later...