When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage omega - info required..

catboy

quick question for you knowledgable folk.. can you throw any light on this piece? any information really appreciated, a friend got it from his grandfather, but has been told its a fake, however im not convinced..

if you can throw any light on it re: rep, gen, what model, movement, etc., that would be great..

dont have any movement pictures but might be able to get some

P10007351.jpg

P10007361.jpg

P10007371.jpg

thanks in advance

b :)

No engraving on the caseback is not a good sign.

The watch certainly has a lot of wear indicating the age at circa

1960's, but it is possible that it is a fake.

Checking vintage Omega forums might be the best bet. The dial and indices look pretty good, however.

There is a Canadian vintage watch dealer (Dorian??) that features many vintage Semasters, might be worth checking thier stock, for clues.

I believe most markings are on the inside case back.

So you will need to remove the case back, and I guess all will be revealed.

Once you have some numbers to work with, you can actually submit an enquiry on the Omega site.

Typically you will get an answer in 24-48 hours.

O/S

no engraving on the caseback outside is not necessarily a bad sign. A lot of gen omega casebacks were not signed on the outside. All you have to do is crack open the case and look at the movement. Even some gen crowns were not signed either.

I do not believe anyone was making vintage Omega replicas of these kinds. There are some rep vintage Omegas available from some of the trusted dealers, but they are really bad.

The lack of engravings on case back is really no problem. You can find the full range from no logo on caseback to etched to engraved. It looks like a fully legit seamaster automatic. I'd say mid-fifties. The case is the right one as is the crown (suppose there is an omega logo on it). Hour, and minute hands are original as is the seconds hand (exactly the same as on two of my constellations from -53. Nice dial w small arrowheads and numerals. As someone earlier pointed out, open the case and post the model number from inside of caseback as well as serial number and caliber on movement.