When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Omega Closed Cases are back !

triplehd

One of the best reps ever made as well as one of the most sought after reps were always the closed case Seamasters. The reps were built with the correct HE vavle, Crown Guards and bracelets I have ever seen. However, all good things must come to an end. The factory was shut-down and we were then forced to get reps with incorrect HE valves, crappy CGs and crappier bracelets. I was able to buy a couple where I then proceeded to sell them for other projects (I was a young noob back then - didnt know better :) ).

Then, about a year or two, a seller on Ioffer was selling SMPs with the correct HE valve. A number of members did receive the correct case, however many of us received inferior versions. So the search continued.

I was able to manage to get about 3-4 more closed cases where I then created some franken Seamasters - including my white & blue Seamasters (see Omega Section) and a couple of Electric Blue Seamasters. However, there were no more cases.

Until now.....

There is a dealer under the Apprentice Dealers named Watch International. When viewing her photos, I noticed a Seamaster (v2531) with the correct HE valve and better CGs. I sent her mail requesting pics. She did indeed confirm that the HE valve was past the 10 marker.

So I ordered an ETA Clone 2531 (even though I already have a closed case with the gen dial).

Here's a pic of the watch from her forum - SMP

The bracelet is not the same, in terms of quality & detail, as the bracelets from years past, but big deal. I rather have then correct HE valve and great looking CGs - you can always swap the bracelet for something else (i.e. rubber strap, leather strap, etc.)

Good advice, thanks a lot. I can vote for Mary who is the person behind watch international. She is taking care of her customers and always replying quickly your PMs. There was a never ending story due to my UPO case back but she was patient and always tried to help me out.

BTW: Will a genuine bezel from ref. 2254.50 (diver 300M) fit the case of that watch Mary has on offer?

Man, these are very nice, but I've learned my lesson with Omega :( After modding and building with gen parts, the finished project usually comes out costing only slightly less than buying a used gen :wounded1:

Still, might be nice just to pick one up...

Regarding Mary- She is indeed a fantastic dealer. Great communication and a pleasure to work with. I rank her up there among the best!

Man, these are very nice, but I've learned my lesson with Omega :( After modding and building with gen parts, the finished project usually comes out costing only slightly less than buying a used gen :wounded1:

Tell me about it !!! :)

used Gen is the way to go with OMEGA, the price puts ownership within reach of any collector really, and you feel the sense and pride of gen ownership for little cost.

I hear people say this all the time, but this hasn't been my experience. The going rate for a used large case SMP seems to be in the $950 - $1,250 range right now, unless you're willing to take something that is seriously beat up.

The prices just seem to be climbing ever since the red logo dial that nobody likes was released. I recall just a few years ago when $700 - $850 was the typical used range for an SMP. Considering this rep is under $200 and quite good out of the box, I don't see much need to consider a gen at $950.

I think the model offered by Mary is a good base to mod because of the right position of the he valve. But as I already own a limited BOND 007 ref. 2537.80.00 I don't want to go for another blue face watch.

I am considering to buy Mary's closed case SMP to transform it into a 2254.50.00 with black dial. But I don't know if the gen bezel will fit and furthermore I will need a gen dial and hand set which means at least 250 bucks extra.... Probably I better should go for a gen 2254.50.00 because these models will discontinue and surely become nice collector's items :whistling:

I think the model offered by Mary is a good base to mod because of the right position of the he valve. But as I already own a limited BOND 007 ref. 2537.80.00 I don't want to go for another blue face watch.

I am considering to buy Mary's closed case SMP to transform it into a 2254.50.00 with black dial. But I don't know if the gen bezel will fit and furthermore I will need a gen dial and hand set which means at least 250 bucks extra.... Probably I better should go for a gen 2254.50.00 because these models will discontinue and surely become nice collector's items :whistling:

How about a dead on pic of the watch. Mary's pics are slightly slanted.