When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

any 6538 with correct bezel out there ?

docdoc

The closest you'll find without spending your grandkids' inheritance is the MBW/K model. Unfortunately it comes with the same bizarre bezel they ship with the Milgauss.

Most people that go this route wind up replacing the stock pieces with a CWP bezel and new crystal. So far I haven't seen how that attaches... dunno if the CWP piece clicks onto the crystal retaining ring, or if other work is needed there.

The CWP bezel comes straight from the machine shop so its edges are very squared and sharp. If you smooth it off it will look more realistic. Then try Freddy333's trick of baking it with a batch of cookies to get a subtle golden hue. That's what you're looking for.

press.jpg

During the initial research for my 6542 project, I noted that some of Silix's CG-less Subs had reasonable-looking (though not 100% accurate) bezels. The model I ultimately ended up using came with a bezel which, after enhanced patination, turned out to be a near-perfect match & fit for a 6542 GMT (but wrong for a Bond Sub). But the main problem with mixing bezels is whether the bezel from watch A will fit on the case/crystal retaining ring on watch B. Because rep factories tend to use whatever components are available (or cheap), trial-&-error (with no guarantee of success) is the only rule.

Wow, Forrestal - that's a NICE insert. Did you age it yourself?

That looks like the bezel from CWP. Smooth it with a mild abrasive to remove the sharp edges, then do the Freddy333 oven/cookies baking trick, and you'll get close to the look of the original "white copper" bezel with the plating worn off.

I wonder if a good rep (with the correct bezel) is available somewhere. I know the crown will always be off, but at least I am looking for the correct bezel. I have look around but with no luck. Thanks for any info.

Hi There docdoc i got my parts from yukiwatch my bezel insert was to bond spec without the 15 minute graduation markings this was an expensive project for me its worth noting that the bond 6538 in goldfinger/thunderball has a none correct bezel insert for this model the bond insert is from an ealier model from the 50s thin cased model, bonds 6538 must have been replaced with an older insert sometime when it was serviced even AD rolex service centres were guilty of replacing or upgrading with parts that were meant for other models and many times without the owner consent, dont forget back then these were tool watches not vintage so any updating to the watch was seen as a good thing with the result that many vintage watches are not to original factory spec.

most early bezel inserts had a red triangle at the top(pearl) this was later changed due to divers complaining that they could not see it at depths.

some were square fond older ones were round fond.

so do we build our 6538 to bond spec or to factory spec this is only our decision!

Edited by aeromatic

Wow, Forrestal - that's a NICE insert. Did you age it yourself?

That looks like the bezel from CWP. Smooth it with a mild abrasive to remove the sharp edges, then do the Freddy333 oven/cookies baking trick, and you'll get close to the look of the original "white copper" bezel with the plating worn off.

hi i want more details about ageing a bezel not to extream measures just take off the blacker that black new look

and be left with a old watchlook that says the watch has been well cared for with a (nice old patina)

Edited by aeromatic

Guys, don't want to go OT, as we're talking 'bout bezel, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a tropic 16 glass. I have a gen 6536 case with gen movement and crown, I'm going to buy a NDT dial and bezel and Yuky 7206 riveted bracelet, but I still miss the crystal. I tried Clark and CWP (and NDT and Yuky), with no results. Any advice?