When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the BK/WM9 LV Sub

tomhorn

My WM9 LV Submariner arrived from BK today. Here's a quick review and some pics for those awaiting theirs ... :)

bk-wm9_lv.jpg

Let me begin by saying I am not a Rolex expert by any stretch of the imagination, nor I am I familiar with all the minutia that makes or breaks a great Rolex rep. I have held many a gen, and have read many reviews here (and on other forums) and looked at many pictures. In short, what follows might be a whole lot of hooey to the trained eye, but it's the best I can do ... :D

I was never a big Submariner fan until I saw the LV for the first time. Maybe it's because the black bezeled Sub is so common, but I have always loved the LV. I got on the pre-order list for this rep on day one (I think) and it's been a long wait. I knew going in that WM9 always underestimated his release dates, but I think even BK would admit this one took a little longer than it should have. Even though I was on the pre-order list, I was still number one on the list for Tanya's raffle for the gen LV, which unfortunately never filled up. Call me crazy, but I just loved the look of the LV and knew I wanted one.

Granted, it's been a little over a month since I've last held a gen LV Sub in my hands, but if you had the BK WM9 on your wrist and showed it to me, I'd never be able to tell you it wasn't a gen. Looking at a bunch of macro photos or holding a gen and this rep side by side maybe, but on the wrist I know I couldn't do it. Even holding it, the only thing that gives it away for me is the bracelet is a little stiff right out of the package from BK. Of course we all know this is common for the rep Rolex bracelets (and not BK's fault), and there are many threads here that have simple remedies to rectify that issue. Once I get through taking some more pictures, mine will be undergoing the treatment.

As for the details ...

The Case, Crown Guards, Endlinks and Crown:

bk-wm9_lv_1.jpg

bk-wm9_lv_6.jpg

The case looks spot on to my untrained eye. The crown-guards are shaped well enough to pass close inspection, and surprisingly (after all the *****ing on some other threads) the end links on mine look very well machined and are as close to perfect as I think I can expect from a rep 1/10th the cost of the gen. While I'm sure someone will point something out in the macro photos, on the wrist you don't really see any gaps. Of the four places where the case meets the endlinks, I can slide a sheet of paper between them in only one spot, and even then it's tough to do. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe some people are making a bigger deal out of it than necessary. I don't know, but at least on my watch they are fine. I wouldn't let the perceived endlink problem keep you from buying.

bk-wm9_lv_3.jpg

The crown is well done, with the logo well defined and what appears to be the correct height and diameter (at least it fits well within the crown guards). The case tube and gasket look good, and the crown screws in and out easily. and appears to seat firmly with the gasket. I have no doubt that it seals well enough to keep water out.

The rehaut looks correct as far as height and lack of 'wokiness' goes, and the height of the Clark's crystal is correct from what I can tell.

The Movement:

I am not comfortable removing the caseback and taking a peak 'under the hood' so I'll be trusting BK that the engine is an ETA 2824 as advertised. It sure feels like my other 2824's when winding and adjusting the time. Those functions are buttery smooth, and several hours after originally setting the time, it hasn't lost any seconds yet.

The Dial and Hands:

bk-wm9_lv_2.jpg

The dial is excellent. Crisp printing of the text, and great lume on the markers and hands. I am not good at lume shots, but this thing really glows in the dark and the lume looks consistant in terms of color and intensity between the dial and hands. All of my dates center nicely in the window, and look to be properly magnified by the Clark's crystal. I was a little concerned about the surrounds for the hour markers being slightly too thick compared to the gen, and while they certainly can look that way in the macro shots, on the wrist you don't really notice it.

The Bezel, Insert and Pearl:

bk-wm9_lv_7.jpg

The pearl on the WM9 LV appears to be ever so slightly smaller than the gen. I had to look at Tanya's pick to be sure, but I think it is. It actually might be the metal surround is thicker, so the lume dot looks smaller. For a watch geek into Rolex, it may be a tell. What's interesting to me is that in this case, it seems to actually look better in the macro shots than it does on the wrist. Most of the time, it's the other way around. Certainly just a nit-pick if anything, as it doesn't look bad. We're probably talking less than 1 mm here, if it's not just my eyes playing tricks on me. The insert color is beautiful. I know it was reported to be a significant reason for the release delay, but IMO they got it as close to the gen as it can possibly be. It's nicely recessed in the bezel.

My only minor complaint is that the bezel on mine is very stiff. I'm sure it will loosen up over time, and BK has already told me he'll take care of it if things persist.

The Bracelet:

bk-wm9_lv_4.jpg

As I mentioned before, the bracelet does come out of the package a little stiff and one could argue the link's edges can be less refined than the gen. It's a common issue with rep bracelets and in no way should reflect on BK (or WM9 for that matter). There are certainly enough tutorials to get even me (a noob with this kind of thing) through working out the kinks.

bk-wm9_lv_5.jpg

Having said that, the overall finish of the bracelet is very good. The clasp is excellent on mine, with the Rolex logos well defined and are also stamped/engraved very well into the various places they belong. There are also an abundance of links included. I haven't sized the bracelet yet since my wrists are small and a longer bracelet is better for pictures, but I'd suspect I'm going to be taking out at least four links to get it down to 6.75". I'd say you're safe all the way out to 8" (or more) including the clasp adjustments. Every one of my screws sits perfectly flush to the links.

In Conclusion:

The short version of this review is that the just released WM9 LV Submariner by BK is by far the best rep I own. Bar none. Whether or not it is the most accurate rep available today I'll leave to others to decide, but as a watch (irregardless of being a rep) it is an extremely high quality piece. For me, it was well worth the wait, and if you like the look, I can't imagine you being disappointed in this rep.

BK has treated me well during the sales process, and during my after sale questions today. He's a top notch dealer as his customers know.

My only problem now is waiting for the SD ... :)

Hey tomhorn! Congratulations on your beautiful LV my friend. I came across a gen LV on the wrist of my local BMW dealer.....and I must say (if the BK / WM9 rep is anything like the gen) then its a truly stunning watch. In reality the green is so so beautiful........

Enjoy your new watch in good health.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Always love reviews like the one you've just done, tom! tasteful, excellent & so befitting of an excellent product & even more wonderful collector such as bk! :good: I also have the same problem as you... & that is waiting for the SD...buy after enjoying your review, I think it's gonna be well worth the wait! ;)

Wear this beauty in great health!

Excellent review

this is by far the best sub rep available. Infact I emailed BK yesterday about getting one myself. It's time to upgrade from my Franken MBW. I also just bought a preowned gen 16610 so it will make for a good comparison review. I can't wait to see the WM9 in person. I'm more excited about the WM9 than I am about the gen! Ha ha

Dizz

The fit, the finish, the color of the steel... The bracelet screws, those crown guards, so impressive. Really. Bravo. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

These little things, the "minutia" as you so eloquently put it, the minor details that get even some damn good sub reps instantly outted are just simply not present on the WM9.

Simply put, I'd be hard pressed to say "REP". That is quite a feat, given the model in question. Isn't that the most beautiful thing about this? Admittedly, I haven't been a fan of the price of these watches; having been known to say "we're supposed to be protecting ourselves from dropping $500 on a fake Rolex". I'm stubborn and By-Tor thanks for biting your lip with me (no pun intended [You too BK]).

Truth is, with all these hair across your ass nuances finally being rectified, there's no question about "who has the best sub" outside of Geneva. The extra pocket full of pence on this rep seems well worth it for anyone that is leary of the $6,000+ double edged and ungreased buy-in to the Swiss crown facade.

Needs a WM pearl though. Dead giveaway otherwise. :lol: