When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Daytona 16520

alkaline

Actually there are many Daytona replicas. You need to decide how much you want to spend and then folks can give you suggestions. The range goes from an Asian 21j to an asian based 7750 for reasonable prices to significantly more for a Zenith movement franken. And there are reps in between. I started with a lower end rep ($200-300) years ago and ended up with an El Primero franken which I am loving. ;)

For a good Daytona... My advice is to build one using genuine parts and an El Primero 400. That's the path I took...

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

It's an expensive project to endure, but the end results are worthwhile (in my opinion).

:)

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::1a:

Only the best.........and it shows! Love your Tonas, my friend!

The Daytona pair in my pictures above are called frankensteins; these are self made on my workspace at home. I basically found all the parts and assembled everything.

Below are some old pictures... Old camera and less than optimal lighting set up, so please forgive the quality of these images:

174_7498.jpg

176_7636.jpg

176_7647.jpg

176_7671.jpg

176_7689.jpg

194_9473.jpg

196_9652.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5805.jpg

IMG_8510.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

This would be the first option I would suggest, as the current variety of replicas available are not great; the El Primero movement is difficult to replicate correctly. However, there is a new A7750 movement out there with the subsidiary dial outputs configured to a more similar layout and spacing format as the El Primero, but it's still a little thick in profile/height (resulting in a thicker watch) and it has yet to show up in a Daytona replica. Still, this would make for a far more visually accurate replication, at least from the topside (and should be substantially less expensive than going with a franken project)...

Why dealers doesn't provide the latest A7750 with more correct subdial spacing??!!!

I hate them! :)

I suspect it's because they're still selling plenty of those 116520 V7750 seconds at 6:00 time bombs :bangin: What people here really want is a low cost, reliable alternative that looks good. The 116520 rep is very pretty to look at, but unless you do a graphite and/or DLC mod, it will be nothing more than a nice paper weight before long. I'm not entirely sure that the new A7750 with the Zenith style subsidiary spacing will be a reliable alternative either; I wonder if anyone has sent this movement into Zig yet for a tear down/analysis yet?

watchmakers ;)

I am excited by the quality of your objects and your photos.

but where can I buy these replicas

you are so kind to list some excellent dealer?

or should build it in house ...

piece by piece? :)

My first suggestion, if you want a reliable and accurate Daytona inside and out is to build. Otherwise, there aren't many options for accuracy and reliability.

If you look at the 'Watches, Clothing & Accessories' sub forum, River has an El Primero 400 movement, genuine dial and hands for offer right now to build a similar project. You'll still need a proper case and bracelet, but that's a substantial portion of the project right there in one shot...

For this project, you'll need a case that is specific to the El Primero. Aftermarket cases typically sell for around $1100 - $1700 depending on how complete the package is. Some are just the midcase and caseback; complete kits include the case, caseback, crystal, bezel gaskets, crown, tube, pushers, aftermarket dial and hands set...

• 4 weeks later...