When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Damaged Classic Cars at Russo Steele Auction

Martyd3

I work in the E&S insurance industry. This is the type of special event that we insure. Finding parts for some of these cars will be like trying to find a bakelite bezel for a GMT or an original hand set for a Bond sub. The claims will be out of this world!

Wow - that's huge. How disappointing if you'd just bought your dream car.

It is much worse for those who perform the restorations, which can take months or years. No amount of money can mend the emotional pain that must be plaguing the restorers/owners of some of those cars. I spent a number of years in the classic car restoration business (yes, alot of those skills translate over to watches)&, while I never suffered anything as bad as that, I have a good idea what they must be going through. And no amount of money (as if a lawyer will actually leave the owner with anything meaningful) will put that right.

As long as nobody got hurt, cars can be repaired, loss of life is permanent. That being said, holy cow!!! Assuming that all the cars were authentic, the Hemi 'Cuda convertible, the red Chevelle LS6, the Sox & Martin drag 'Cuda, the multitude of damaged Shelby Mustangs and all those Corvettes are particularly big dollar losses. Getting dented and scratched fenders and doors is one thing, crushing a roof or bending an "A" pillar is something else. I'll be at the Mecuum auction here in Florida this Saturday, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for approaching storm clouds!!

Damn!!!

As long as nobody got hurt, cars can be repaired, loss of life is permanent. That being said, holy cow!!! Assuming that all the cars were authentic, the Hemi 'Cuda convertible, the red Chevelle LS6, the Sox & Martin drag 'Cuda, the multitude of damaged Shelby Mustangs and all those Corvettes are particularly big dollar losses. Getting dented and scratched fenders and doors is one thing, crushing a roof or bending an "A" pillar is something else. I'll be at the Mecuum auction here in Florida this Saturday, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for approaching storm clouds!!

Damn!!!

There were a few clones or should I say rep's :), but most were the real deal.

It will cost way more than 1.5 mil when all is said and done, and some of those cars have serious enough structural damage to warrant writing off the restoration and starting over.

The Barrett Jackson auction was a couple of miles down the road. They took precautions and had no damage at all! I guess in the end it is all about who you deal with.

It will cost way more than 1.5 mil when all is said and done, and some of those cars have serious enough structural damage to warrant writing off the restoration and starting over.

I agree from the looks of it there is a lot of damage to quite a few cars there. if they were the typical used cars you could just repair the damaged parts and move on but with the word done on them I am sure there will be stuff that the photos don't show that will need repaired. Add to it finding the parts and I am sure the million in damage will be looked at as a low ball offer lol.