When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Homemade Watchmakers Bench

redwatch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also think about having a drop sheet attached to the bench, that can spread out onto your lap. (I just drawing pinned a tea towel to the bench and throw it onto my lap as I sit down) You will be amazed at how much you catch!

O/S

I was actually think about using an apron or something like that. Put it on the desk, drop the table top bench on to it, and then wear it. Probably look a little silly, but lord knows it won't look any worse than I do with the headband magnifying lens and light on my head! :D

Ok, per Andy's comment, here is a V3 drawing of the bench. Same angled front end and designed to fit an AF Switzerland or Bergeon work mat. Now has a side tray for tools like a dust blower so it doesn't roll around on your work area and damage or move the small bits. :D Oh, and a small drawer in the front of the unit too.

Screenshot2010-02-01at70818PM.png

This is the look I am going for. I want it to look like a vintage/modern wood machinists tool chest like the Gerstner chests:

gerstner.jpg

I registered, but I guess I have to wait for the manual activation. Any chance you can post some pics?

Here's one, but you gotta read the story with it. The member may start making them for customers

With the bench by itself measuring 10H x 16D x 24L", the detachable tool rack adds another 12" of height, and the entire unit weighs in at a sturdy 32 pounds.

post-19100-126509406306_thumb.jpg

Here's one, but you gotta read the story with it. The member may start making them for customers

With the bench by itself measuring 10H x 16D x 24L", the detachable tool rack adds another 12" of height, and the entire unit weighs in at a sturdy 32 pounds.

post-19100-126509406306_thumb.jpg

That's a very nicely crafted piece. Makes me yearn to get back out in the wood shop!

A new thought. Attach a pair of these rotating arm rests to the angle section of the bench. :D

Screenshot2010-02-02at10346PM.png

They are a product out of Canada. Google "restman 2". A pair can be had for about $32 Canadian. I figure I can chop the screw piece off with a dremel tool, drill some holes into the vertical section and mount it to the angled section of the bench. Should do the trick nicely (and they are removable if they get in the way)

The only issue I am worried about is the cost. The more drawers and such that I add to this the more expensive it will be to build. I will talk with my wood worker and see what he thinks. I thought about making the shelf a slide out and then having a storage drawer below it and another drawer on the side. Or even splitting the front drawer into two drawers. I just don't want it get too crazy on the cost. I am going to head over there now and I will check in with him.

Thanks for all the input everyone!!! Definitely a community effort! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 month later...

The bench is now finished and I just need to stain it, add the brass hardware (drawer knobs & handles) and add the wrist rests. It's looking really good so far. I used Red Oak with a really nice flamey grain. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here's some pics of the progress so far:

DSC_0945.jpg

DSC_0946.jpg

DSC_0947.jpg

DSC_0948.jpg