When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen RG Montoya v/s Rep RG ROO

exper

No problem, I was gonna get the rep but decided not too only because it would be too close for comfort having two of the exact same watches in the same circle. The rep does look good but the noticeable difference in the color of the gold is one of the the main reasons I have stopped wearing my RG AP ROO around these guys as well, will pick up the Montoya for when im traveling though as have worn the gen Montoya for a couple days and have grown very fond of it.

No problem, I was gonna get the rep but decided not too only because it would be too close for comfort having two of the exact same watches in the same circle. The rep does look good but the noticeable difference in the color of the gold is one of the the main reasons I have stopped wearing my RG AP ROO around these guys as well, will pick up the Montoya for when im traveling though as have worn the gen Montoya for a couple days and have grown very fond of it.

what would they do if they found out your AP was a rep!??????

In any case.. i doubt EVEN then.. that they would be able to tell the difference in color.

You could always get a nice silver or grey themes! i love that watch. :)

p.s. how's it goin exper. long time no talk. big shout out from madrid! if you're ever around europe i love drinking beer and talkin watches :)

They wouldn't do anything, just wonder why its a different colour and slate off AP ;) First thing I do on most of my reps is put on a gen strap which makes a huge difference as I often have my watch taken off my wrist as we all love watches. I have quite a few gen's as well but its just a personal choice as its not a nice feeling to get caught out as I have several watch collectors / dealers with whom I often meet up socially. The main reason I buy rep's is to decide if I want the gen and sadly with AP's im not really feeling it as don't find them very comfy on the wrist even with buckle so have decided to keep it with reps.

I am in Europe for the summer actually (I can't deal with the summer heat there), will see if im going to Madrid - was gonna go last week actually but decided on Italy instead. Would be good to meet up for a drink or three!

They wouldn't do anything, just wonder why its a different colour and slate off AP ;) First thing I do on most of my reps is put on a gen strap which makes a huge difference as I often have my watch taken off my wrist as we all love watches. I have quite a few gen's as well but its just a personal choice as its not a nice feeling to get caught out as I have several watch collectors / dealers with whom I often meet up socially. The main reason I buy rep's is to decide if I want the gen and sadly with AP's im not really feeling it as don't find them very comfy on the wrist even with buckle so have decided to keep it with reps.

I am in Europe for the summer actually (I can't deal with the summer heat there), will see if im going to Madrid - was gonna go last week actually but decided on Italy instead. Would be good to meet up for a drink or three!

keep me posted.... If i could afford even one gen Montoya.. i'd be happy.... downside is that for the price of most ap's you can usually get various nice gens.. and to be honest, for what they are.. they're not worth the money as far as craftsmanship and complications are concerned. A piece of steel designed by Gerald Genta the same guy responsible for the Royal Oak and several other watches, Vacheron etc. (ingeneur as well i think), with a Valjoux 7750 thrown in there.... I'd rather spend that money on something a bit more unique like an A. Lange & Sohne or something :).

If you decide to come to madrid keep me posted, not sure but we might be taking a trip down to marbella, spain, but apart from that.. i'm usually around the capital :)

Nice AP... only thing putting me off getting the titanium one is the movement seen through the back. Is there any version with a closed back?

PS. Exper, long time no see, hope things are going well!

Hey Chronus, All well here mate, hope you are good as well! It's been a very long time - hows the AP RO you made me drool over at the GTG back in '06 (?) - still got it? :) As for the closed case back, no I don't believe there is one for the Montoya

Hey Chronus, All well here mate, hope you are good as well! It's been a very long time - hows the AP RO you made me drool over at the GTG back in '06 (?) - still got it? :) As for the closed case back, no I don't believe there is one for the Montoya

Yeah I still have it, I'm not really one for selling watches (or anything for that matter). I been enjoying the Survivor though, real tempted by the JPM, just that back... How bad is the rep movement compared to that? I see the oscillating weight has the circles but they always have it in such a way you can't see the parts you want to.

Wasn't there someone selling the AP RO Jumbos nowadays? I'm sure you could pick one up :)

Yeah I still have it, I'm not really one for selling watches (or anything for that matter). I been enjoying the Survivor though, real tempted by the JPM, just that back... How bad is the rep movement compared to that? I see the oscillating weight has the circles but they always have it in such a way you can't see the parts you want to.

Wasn't there someone selling the AP RO Jumbos nowadays? I'm sure you could pick one up :)

Haha yeap I got on that group order only because of yours that I had seen that long ago! TBH I think I just outgrew it and decided to part with it after waiting absolutely ages for it.. I think it must have been the chase more then anything.

Not too sure about the rep movement TBH, I have only handled the gen and had borrowed it for a few days but never managed to get a rep to do a side by side comparison as the rep had only just come out then. I haven't seen any complaints in regards to the movement tbh but then again I imagine this probably isint as popular as the normal ROO's which is probably why. Though having seen alanytical and some more pics on here it doesn't seem too bad.