When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do your rep/s go on holiday/vaction with you?

PeteM

I wonder if anyone has had problems at customs going in to a country?

and with the ones you guys take are they the good reps you own or the ones you wouldnt mind so much if you lost?

Sorry I missed this at the time...

The ones I've taken abroad, have all been watches I have liked and I would not have wanted to lose them, but, I did say to Emily when we went to Tokyo that if customs took an interest in the watch, just let them take it without argument. I wouldn't want to lose a watch at customs, but I wouldn't argue over keeping one.

I travel from the US to Germany on a regular basis and have never had a problem. I usually wear my WM9 V2 sub and carry my Junkers gen beater in my carry on for everyday use.

the customs official would have to be pretty sharp to spot the WM9 sub as a rep..;)

What do you all think about taking reps into, and more importantly, leaving a country known for having a fake market with your reps?

I got stopped by a US customs guy who asked about the Bentley I had on my wrist coming back from the Caymans - he seemed more concerned that it might be a Gen that I was trying to beat the import duty on. When he saw that it had reasonable wear for a two-year old watch he let me go. They did hold me up for a few minutes, I suspect they were checking my credit report for an $8,000 charge to one of the Cayman Jewelers.

Never even seemed to give a thought that it might be a rep, or just didn't care.

Now I always make it a point never to bring a brandy-new rep on a trip out of CONUS.

But I usually bring two, a sport and a dresser for dinner out.

I have brought reps into and new out of Italy and Egypt via NYC onto Canda and have never had a problem at US or Canada customs.

I have a 5 watch roll and take:

Omega SMP (gen)

Rado Ceramica (dressy)

Submariner (rep)

Orient Diver (beach)

Tag Bently (rep)

Woody99

My travel/ holiday watch is usually digital Suunto Core, or quartz gen Jacques Farel

I love my replicas and I don`t want to "hurt" them. Mechanical movement ( rep movement) is not "work horse" so I will stick with Suunto Core or quartz when there will be some activity or fun or drinking :drinks: ... :D