When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello and Farewell

Viennawatch

Hello folks!

Some might not know me at all, some may not remember me! I've been a member for quite some time, was more active in the early part of this decade you could say. And have amassed quite a collection of reps in the last few years.

This is however my final farewell to the forum. Although I may still check in to see the latest, my money will now only be dedicated to originals.

I just wanted to send out a BIG THANK YOU to RWG and all of its admins, expert residents and the trolls and noobs for keeping it interesting! Although I still consider myself a noob, I have never learned more about watches than I have on this forum. You guys truly rock.

I have jumped the gun and purchased two originals (Oris Chronoris (Orange) and the Omega Speedmaster Reduced) with my next purchase already in mind for a Tag Heuer Monaco.

So another thank you and may RWG and its fan's prosper!!!

Farewell! Best of luck!

Edited by Viennawatch

Hi

I find it very decent of you to bid as goodbye, most people simply fade away (old soldiers do, you know).

But why leave just because of the change to gens? I'm on some gen forums too, they're fun but if I gotta know *why* my gen is truly great I mostly come here. People here appreciate the true value of a watch and of course (you sure have noticed) showing a gen here does not get you sneers but a heartfelt applause.

I understand that one must not hold back travellers and it's of course up to you. But me, I'd be very happy if you came back from time to time not only to have a look but also to tell us about your adventures in gen land. :)

Just my two cents

I wish you all the best and if you really must: Farewell.

Val.

Hi MM and Val,

Good to see that you guys are still around!

Well its not so much about never loading up this page again...

I guess its just that I have often said hello, I am back and then disappear without notice... The times have changed and I am extremly busy these days with work, that I barely find any time to come on to the forum, unless its just to look around. I am not cancelling my account if thats what you are thinking! :)

Honestly, you hit the spot on the nail Val, I honestly thought that people may think that since I now have moved on to gens and start showing pics of my purchases that it would not give off a good image of myself.

I will try occassionally to come back and say hello! I will also try to snap a few shots of my gen purchases of late!

Once again thanks a lot for your warm replies and I guess... See you around!

:)

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin

Honestly, you hit the spot on the nail Val, I honestly thought that people may think that since I now have moved on to gens and start showing pics of my purchases that it would not give off a good image of myself.

Ah shucks! :) Most of the veterans here have their safes stuffed full with gens and from time to time flash 'em in the Wristie Threads. It's like "nanana, bet you didn't know that I own this baby, did you?". Even Lani, who owns more reps than China ever produced (it's number four of the Seven Great Misteries of Rep World) has some gens. :)

You do that and I promise we'll envy you accordingly.

I will try occassionally to come back and say hello! I will also try to snap a few shots of my gen purchases of late!

Once again thanks a lot for your warm replies and I guess... See you around!

I'll take you by your word, Martin. ^_^ And I appreciate that you answered once more. It would have been easy to be just silent.

Do you have a pic of one of your gens? I'd love to get to know one of them.

Take care.

Val.

Haha! Ok ok! Thanks guys!

I will take a few snap shots of my watches and will post them up here in the next couple of days!! Bear with me! :)

Regards,

Martin

Super

Truly great to hear that you have moved on to Genuines... ..even so I think having people that collect genuines on this board board is a big pluss and hope that you will continue here and post your genuines and tell us whats great about them

all the best

Gunnar:drinks:

Hello all again!

Thanks once more for the nice replies! Its great to be a part of such a community of experts and enthusiasts!

Although my purchase of reps will cease for the time being, (until perhaps they start churning out reps which are truly identical to the originals and I'm talking just visually not whats on the inside, but that would be great too!) I will drop in from time to time! I am thinking of having the reps I do own pimped out to perfection, as much as possible, but then again they are already so old, it may not make sense to spend so much money for that! After all you modders aren't exactly cheap, but hands down, you do amazing!

As promised I have uploaded some pics of my genuine watches... Excuse me for the poor pictures. That's a skill I am really bad at!!!

The two watches I own are the Oris Chronoris (01 672 7564 4154-Set) and the Omega Speedmaster Reduced (3539.50.00).

I am very satisfied with both of these watches and these are two models I have had my eye on for a long time. The Chronoris was a bit difficult to source. I was living in Dubai at the time I purchased it, which was at the Rivoli Group, which is a large watch and jewelry chain and they only had two pieces in the entire country, both which were in scratched condition at the dealer. It was painful to see the watch in its previous condition and the salesman had said it was due to people trying it on so often. I don't know how they could let it get so scratched by people trying it on. Anyways I got this watch for about 850 Euros due to an offer and was able to bargain out a free servicing. They were able to get out about 95% of the scratches, the remaining 5% you can only see if the light shines at them at a specific angle. I believe the retail price is about 2000 euros or perhaps more. I am not exactly sure, but for what I was able to get it for was damn good. So I am quite happy with that.

The Omega Speedmaster Reduced was also purchased in Dubai, but by my sister who now lives there. Of course she didn't pay for it... I did, but since it was cheaper in Dubai as compared to Austria, I had her get it for me. It was around 2000 Euros in Austria, but I was able to bag it just a few weeks back for around 1400 Euros in Dubai during DSF (Dubai Shopping Festival). By the way folks, it really is worth checking out the Dubai Shopping Festival for watches if you are ever around this region. Its usually around end of January for a month and almost every store heavily discounts their items. Funny thing is, in 2009 when I was checking out watches during DSF, every Rivoli chain I went to was flooded with Chinese tourists holding stacks of 100 dollars bills (10000 dollars per stack and sometimes 3 to 4 stacks!!!) They were literally buying out the watch stores!! I wonder whether they bought the watches to then take them to their factories back in China to make our reps!??? :p

Anyways I had a bigger budget than I spent on the Reduced. When I was diligently doing my research pre-purchase, I was first thinking of the Omega Speedmaster Professional and the 50th Anniversary .... At the end I chose the Reduced because I saved some money and it was an automatic.

50th Anniversary would have cost me about 2000 Euros and the Professional is a hand wind with Hesalite crystal which i think is very scratchable... I've had my share of hand winding with the PAM reps and all I can say madame's and sir's, I've had enough of that! Plus I am paranoid that the watch will wear out faster with hand winding models.. For example the crown on my rep PAM Blackseal does not screw in anymore, but then again its a rep... :S

Now I am not going to attempt to review these watches in terms of movements, etc... I used to be somewhat knowledgeable enough to make an attempt, but my recent absence from RWG as drained away whatever knowledge I did have... So all I will say is, they keeps good time, although the Speedmaster does lose more time than the Oris, (I will have that checked out soon at a dealer) but overall I am very happy with both of them! And I shall show them love and respect and treat them with extreme care! :) My next purchase won't come anytime soon as I'm short of dough, perhaps in a few years again... Which watch I will go for next.. I'm not sure, but I've already begun to pick up a taste for a few Tag Heuer watches! :) Let us see!!!

Anyways enjoy folks and see you around!!

Regards,

Martin

post-730-126597009323_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597012256_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597014781_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597017484_thumb.jpg

post-730-12659702127_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597042994_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597045629_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597088757_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597112901_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597119907_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597140477_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597155465_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597166466_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597170868_thumb.jpg

post-730-126597177542_thumb.jpg

I also want to wish the OP the best of luck, but I have admitt that I find this thread somewhat Insulting. I mean after all this Is a Replica watch community. No offense to the OP but how would a Gen forum feel If you were to say "farewell Im off to pursue replicated timepieces". I just dont feel that the "goodbuy Im off to play In the Gen sandbox" was nessasary. Am I the only one who feels this way? :g: Good luck with your Gens Martin :mellow: Mike