When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen RXW MM20 Mini Review

Martyd3

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Sorry for the crappy indoor pics. We got another foot and a half of snow today, so no outdoor pics :(

So ... is a gen RXW MM20 worth twice as much as a modded DSN fiddy? I would say yes and no. Yes in that you do get a better made watch with a Swiss movement, no in that the Panerai purist will hate this much as much as your modded rep fiddy.

Some observations about the MM20.

I think the case work is better than what DSN offers. The level of finish is better and then screw bars, which have screws at both ends, are nicer. I am using screw spring bars because of strap changes.

The finish on the CG is nicer and it has beefier screws. The lever is as floppy as any on rep. I am tempted to fix it, but the pin is recessed so nicely, I don't want to mess with it.

The crown is more like a regular PAM crown. It is slightly thinner and larger. It makes winding easier. The CG lever just keeps it from being pulled out when the crown is in the winding position (closed) . It does not apply any real pressure. You can tell that there are some significant gaskets in the crown tube. You do feel resistance when winding and setting the watch. I am not sure what the water resistance of the watch is.

The crystal seems to be sapphire (using the scientific water drop test). I do not believe it is AR coated. If it is, the AR must be close to colorless. The distortion is very low. Much better than on any rep I have handled. I have had fiddy's with EL and Rex mineral, as well as DSN sapphire crystals. This crystal is far superior.

The dial and hands are perfect. No flaws or imperfection. The dial and hands are superluminova. They glow as brightly as the Vac lumed fiddy that I recently sold.

The movement is a gen Swiss Unitas 6497. It winds smoothly and keeps accurate time.

Not sure what else to say. If anyone has any questions please ask away.

Very nice watch Marty.

What's a little disappointing IMO is the recessed canon pinion.

But overall a great watch

Wear it well.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Cats,

Maybe some of the other owners can chime in, but I don't think the pin is recessed, as much as the hands are designed that way.

Marty

I dunno if the pin is recessed on purpose. I do like that the hands are held on the pin by a the hexagon center of the hands. I think that was a unique touch. As far as lume, I thought my The Zigmeister lumed 127 was brighter, but I never had the two side by side. I feel this watch is well worth the money. Sure it's double the price of a rep fiddy, but I think the quality makes it worth the extra cost.

I like mine CP the way it is, although I had all my other 127s CP fixed. I wondered if your crystal was sapphire because there were actually two "models" of MM20 were made. The earlier ones with mineral crystal said to give less distortion (vitually none) of the dial than the later sapphire ones. With the sapphire crystal, the number "6" gets pretty distorted virtically. The crystal is more domed.

Edited by cougaree

I'm certain that mine is a saphire x-tal and, yes, there is noticable distortion on the edges. It actually give it a unique look to the watch overall.

Maybe mine is mineral then. There is little to no distortion. The odd thing is that a drop of water beads on the crystal like it is sapphire for sure.

Am usure if the crystal is an original. I have checked many mm20 from rg members and the net and have never seen any crystal that looks like your unless you are one of the lucky ones to be able to source the first run mm20s. The curvature of the crystal reminds me of my dsn but with its ar strpped. You may want to double check from your seller. looks great anyways.

Edited by paneristi

am usure if the crystal is original. I have checked many mm20 from members and the net and have never seen any crystal tat looks like your unless you are one of the lucky ones to be able to source the first run mm20s. The curvature of the sapphire reminds me of my dsn but with its ar strpped. You may want to double check from your seller. looks great anyways.

The watch was produced in Jan 2005. I personally know the seller. The crystal is original to the watch. I am 100% sure it was not swapped out.

Marty