When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ugh. Looking for a "real" crystal tester

RickHiC

I just went through 231 auctions on ebay looking for a non-fake "Diamond Selector II".

This link shows the tells:

http://www.gem.or.jp/culti/products/diafake.html

As far as I can tell after reviewing the pictures, every auction on the bay, regardless of price, is selling the fake one. crazy.

Are these "fake" ones still good enough to 100% reliably tell mineral from sapphire? I obviously don't care about diamonds. If this is the case, I'll spend the ~$20 for one from an HK auction. Otherwise, why bother.

Well, that makes for most interesting reading!

When I looked at these units in China last year, I was shown "genuine" and copy units, at wildly varying pricing, by a number of sellers.(I could have had a version selling at $20!)

http://watchbitz.com...d&productId=114

When you consider that the selling price for a "genuine" can be as much as $200+, obviously you do need to question a tester which is being sold for only 25% or less of this price.

The one which we tested and which gave ongoing correct results, we were told was the "genuine" Japanese model. In checking my stocks, all my current testers would fail the "tells" test as reproduced here.

Yet I do know that we have sold a good number of these units and the buyers are most satisfied.

I have also just now reconducted some tests on known sapphire and mineral lense, and am still getting a 100% success rate with these "fake" testers.

I also wonder if the test for sapphire vs mineral glass is not as demanding as the test for diamonds?

Are all the full and complete details being given by the manufacturer here?, by a manufacturer who is obviously trying to protect his brand.(although I did read somewhere else that this particular model is now "discontinued")

The real facts, I believe, are that there are a number of "fake" models, some good, and some not so good (Sound familiar?)

We actually see the same thing in the Chinese manufactured timing machines- a "genuine", and then a number of copies, some branded identically and some with same appearance but different branding.

Although none of the copies come up to scratch in that case.

I do know, we will only deal with one supplier on these in China, and I do know I have a right of return if a problem arose. Unfortunately like most things, the cost to return and be resupplied would far exceed the cost of the item.

Like you, I must take at face value what my supplier tells me.

And I do know my supplier values my business, so I can only trust that I am not mislead.

However it wouldn't be the first time that shipments of goods from China have "dropped off" in quality after an initial supply of better grade product.

We can only continue to monitor the quality of all the goods which are supplied to us.

I suppose there is something in the statement, "First select your seller, then select your watch"rolleyes.gif

Offshore

Mineral (glass) always has a green tint when viewed from the side, while sapphire is always clear or white.

Glass (mineral) tends to feel cool to the touch, while sapphire tends to match the room temperature. ;)

They sound different when tapped with a fingernail. Learn the sound.

No kidding! Yeah I found that link to the manufacturer via google and I can't really say who is right or wrong. Interesting that the folks on ebay selling them have just fine feedback, so those devices must still work on some level for customers to be satisfied.

Re: other posts, I've heard that a good AR coat can influence the water drop test. As far as the clink test, I think I listened to too much loud rock and roll as a teen. I can't seem to get consistent results with either of these comparing reps to my one gen with known sapphire (and no AR I think). That was the point for trying to find a cheap sure-fire tool.

Well, that makes for most interesting reading!

I'm not sure if those on ebay are reliable. My previous jewellery work place has the tester it has a series of lights with indicator. Haha so now you all know I had some fun time testing my watches! Maybe those sold by jewellers or those selling tools to jewellers would be a more reliable source.

Actually its the other way around. Saphire stays cold much longer. Mineral adjust rapidly to room temperature.

+1

ill second that... thats the way these electronic tester work.

Saphire is a much better conductor for temperature as mineral is...

Anyway id like to here "more" from ppl familiar with the FAKE testers.

ive been told, they work too (talking about the diamond selector II now)

the fake just tends to be a little less sensitive than the gen tester.

Can anyone with experience confirm??

B/R

george

while sapphire is always clear or white.

Except for when it has a pinkish tint, which is common.

The feel of the crystal, and the sound as Pug mentions, is the best way to determine what it is. Temperature -- yes it's the sapphire that stays cooler -- is a good one. And after handling ... who knows how many ... crystals now I've found that weight is usually an obvious "tell". Many/most mineral crystals are simply "too light" for their size to be confused as sapphire.