When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Availability of real 'Swiss' ETA

lgking

I was viewing the site of a watch company (Orange) and came upon the following...

Welcome to Orange Watch Company

Automatic MovementOWC have been very careful in the choice of movement. ETA publicly stated that they will no longer supply to those outside of the Swatch Group. This means it will be practically IMPOSSIBLE for small bespoke makers (in fact anyone not in the Swatch Group) to buy legal ETA mechanical movements. The conclusions are obvious.

As anyone who is considering the purchase of the SOH (such a beautiful watch) from dealers like Perfect Clones who offer a 'Swiss ETA' for an up-charge of US$50.00...how does this work, how are the dealers claiming to offer real 'Swiss' ETA in these times, or at the end of the day are they just shipping Asian copies...?

http://www.perfect-h...242-p-4659.html

This an all too common mistake. The idea is completely incorrect.

ETA is absolutely NOT stopping sales of complete movements. Anyone who says this is utterly confused.

What ETA announced several years ago is that they are stopping the sale of incomplete movements to OEM makers outside of the SWATCH group. Incomplete movements are known as "ebouches" and are used by OEM makers as a foundation for their watches.

Anyone with a bag of money could FAX ETA right now and order an entire 10,000 piece pallet of complete movements and have it delivered to their door.

I'm saying that the person at "the orange" who wrote that paragraph does not understand the difference between an ebouche and a complete movement.

Small bespoke watchmakers who relied on ebouches for their process will have to buy from Selitta in the future but this option means they are not in serious trouble. They simply have to change manufacturers.

Its odd that you ask this question today, since another thread is active on this board with a large quote from the president of Selitta, outlining how he intends to scoop up all the abandoned ETA ebouche business.

Dear Zig

This is reassuring to hear, especially coming from a builder/modder such as yourself. Which leads me to my next question...

regarding the purchase of a non-chrono SOH...who is a recommended dealer offering real 'Swiss' ETA movement options (Perfect Clones not on our list)...?

Edited by lgking

Dear Zig

This is reassuring to hear, especially coming from a builder/modder such as yourself. Which leads me to my next question...

regarding the purchase of a non-chrono SOH...who is a recommended dealer offering real 'Swiss' ETA movement options (Perfect Clones not on our list)...?

But if you are asking if the movement is swiss when he says it is you will never know until it is taken apart

This an all too common mistake. The idea is completely incorrect.

ETA is absolutely NOT stopping sales of complete movements. Anyone who says this is utterly confused.

What ETA announced several years ago is that they are stopping the sale of incomplete movements to OEM makers outside of the SWATCH group. Incomplete movements are known as "ebouches" and are used by OEM makers as a foundation for their watches.

Anyone with a bag of money could FAX ETA right now and order an entire 10,000 piece pallet of complete movements and have it delivered to their door.

+ 1 Jkay speeks the truth. Many are confused by this and there are many who want them to be confused