When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sapphire Crystal Requests?

plaifender

Hey guys,

Offshore and I have been coordinating the possibility of getting some custom sapphire crystals made in a run for PAM253/212's. Offshore has contacts in china that should be able to get these crystals fabricated. If you're interested in a sapphire crystal for your PAM253 or PAM 212 join the discussion here

Offshore is going to pull the behind-the-scenes strings and i'm defacto responsible for gauging interest out here in the forum. He wanted to know if there would any interest in fabricating sapphire for other models. The interest for the PAM253/212 models is apparent since almost NO model has ever been released with domed sapphire. Are there any other popular watches out there that could use a much needed sapphire crystal? If so this is the place to suggest and sport your interest. We would need a 20 order minimum for each different crystal model. So this isn't the place to place an order for any rare pieces.

I think it's easiest if i just post what offshore emailed me. Below you guy can express any models you might be interested in getting sapphire crystals for. We'll get a running list soon. We don't know prices just yet but this post is just for gauging interest. I'm also a member of a spanish forum so we're getting interest from all over.

Here's what offshore says:

Ok,

First, we can't do anything till after Chinese New Year, so we have a bit of time.

Now I'm not at all up with the Pan scene, are there any other models which should be done?

( I figure it will make a more attractive proposition if we can ask for a few different sizes/styles.) ( If we know they are saleable, I can wear some of the volume for the shop)

We will need to investigate the AR thing, although I haven't seen much very good come out of China. ( may be better to stay with Chief...therefor we could send direct to him?)

Samples.- I am sending off a bunch of items for pricing some time after the 22nd Feb, when CNY finishes.

So lets see what eventuates as to different crystals and sizes/styles, but if you have one to send now.

Watch Bitz PO Box 1353 Oxenford, Queensland 4210 Australia,

Please make it clear to everyone that this will take some time, I reckon we could be 3 months before we see crystals.

So you understand my setup.

I have an agent who knows watches /tools and parts, who works for me in Guangzhou. Has exceptional English. I send them items for samples or requests for items with photos and as much detail as possible. They then go to the various wholesalers and get quotes. Unfortunately a lot of the wholesalers wouldn't know what a watch looked like, so you have to spell EVERYTHING out!

Offshore

I know this post is long, but better to let you guys know more than less. We've also discussed the possibility of killing two birds with one stone and sending whatever crystals there are off to Cheif directly from the factory if there's high interest in getting these crystals treated with AR.

If this is unclear at all let me know. For now, I'm just keeping tally of various watch models that people suggest and the numbers of people behind each model. I'lll report back to Offshore and let him know. If you guys have any questions about anything, don't hesitate to let me know. But just remember that we won't have an firm idea on pricing till after Chinese New Year ends on the 22nd.

Signing off,

Ryan

Edited by offshore
Remove personal info.

Guys, forgive my total ignorance, but I'm thinking about getting a Jackson Tse Mini Fiddy. These are not available with domed sapphire, I believe. Would your project help me out?

Thanks for helping a lost noob. :)

Val.

Could you find some info on the watch.. and post it Val? I think that the fiddy uses a bigger different size crystal than the 253 and 212 but i'm not sure. If it does use a different size crystal and is currently only available in mineral.. maybe we can find 19 other people on the forum that might be interested in hopping on board with you. But post some info just to be sure it is indeed different

update @valerian: Just read.. that Davidsen has sapphire crystals available for the fiddy. Send him an email and see if he's got any in stock.

Hi Plaifender

Just seen your answer, sory for late reaction. The Mini Fiddy is unlike the Fiddy. It has a 44mm diameter. I think Jackson Tse is only selling it with mineral cristal.

See here (scroll down on that page).

I might be totally lost with my idea though.

Val.

Hi Plaifender

Just seen your answer, sory for late reaction. The Mini Fiddy is unlike the Fiddy. It has a 44mm diameter. I think Jackson Tse is only selling it with mineral cristal.

See here (scroll down on that page).

I might be totally lost with my idea though.

Val.

Ok, I misread before. I just looked it up. In all honesty it APPEARS like the mini fiddy could use the same crystal and a similar case. To be 100% sure maybe you could find someone who has a spare mineral crystal from a mini-fiddy to take caliper measurements. We could then compare those measurements to the measurements of the pam253 crystals that paulw is willing to loan for the project. If they turn out to be the same crystal then obviously it will work well with for mini-fiddys as well. If you can find the measurements or a spare crystal, we can confirm its size in relation to the project model. Lemme know if you find out.

This is what i found.. confirm this as what you're talking about..

Imagen043.jpg

-pLai

That pic looks familiar. :)

I have read that Jackson's crystal is different than other (cartel) 44mm domed crystals, but I don't know for sure.

I will pull a crystal tomorrow (I have THREE Jackson mini Fiddy cases) and measure it and post it here. If they are the same I might be interested, depending on cost. Jackson's replacement crystals are $10 shipped, so no skin off my back if it gets scratched.... But it might be cool to get a sapphire crystal and have it double AR'd - the Chief owes me one from a raffle I won a while ago...

Cheers!

Edited by JohnG

• 2 weeks later...

My AR'd 253/212 crystals are in transit from GZ.. should be here next week sometime if not sooner.. so I may have a spare for sample in a bit..

Let us know when you get em.. but probably won't be necessary as Paulw's crystal should be arriving on Offshore's doorstep tomorrow. We can probably get by with just the one... but i'll consult with offshore once you get your spare to see if it could be of any use to the process.....