When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Lost Chord.............Found (at last)

freddy333

This is a continuation of my Phase 1.2 project.....

A few days ago, after a very lengthy search (the longest for any watch part in my experience), I received the final piece to my gen 6542 puzzle - the infamous 1030 24-hour (GMT) wheel, which is rarer than a hens' tooth & more sought after than a Turner (at least among collectors of vintage Rolex watches)

gmtwheel.jpg

It may look quite innocuous, but this is 1 of only a handful of parts that virtually every watchmaker, parts supplier, vintage clock/watch restorer (save for 1) considers impossible to find - at ANY price. (And before anyone asks, I cannot get any more.) Such is the demand for it. This part (along with a thimbleful of other only slightly less rare parts) is what turns the standard Rolex 1036 into the vaunted Rolex 1036GMT, which powers Rolex's original GMT-Master, the model 6542 'Pussy Galore' of James Bond fame

June-11-1963.jpg

To date, I had gone as far as I could go with my franken, which, as some of you may recall, was hand constructed as a 1-of-a-kind jewel out of various odds & ends along with a few gen parts (crown, crystal & bracelet, if memory serves me)

036a-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

gmt27march0091.jpg

Unfortunately, I will need to track down a 2nd 1036 donor watch since, in the interim, I have fallen in love with my previous donor & decided to keep it in my permanent collection

OPD3002a1.jpg

Hopefully, my next update will also be my last & will highlight the completion of Phase 2 of my gen 6542 project.

Now for a potentially very expensive question: with this one are you going the same route with a Silix case/bezel combo, or are you taking another route?

What I'm getting at is, once in awhile I see a gen 6542 bezel for $ale. :shock: Do you want to know about it when I find one? Same question, about gen inserts?

All - Thanks for the encouragement. It helps.

Here are all of the Phase 2 (gen) parts next to my (Silix-cased) Phase 1 watch

002-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

Now for a potentially very expensive question: with this one are you going the same route with a Silix case/bezel combo, or are you taking another route?

What I'm getting at is, once in awhile I see a gen 6542 bezel for $ale. :shock: Do you want to know about it when I find one? Same question, about gen inserts?

The bezel is already covered (see pic). In theory, I have a gen insert en route, but the jury remains open until the part arrives & I see it in person.

Other than that, unless I get REAL lucky & locate a gen dial (that I can afford), the completed Phase 2 watch will be all gen except for the dial (which is from MY). I realize it is highly unlikely, but if you (or anyone else) locate a gen 6542 dial (from a reliable source) for less than $1k, let me know. Otherwise, I will go with the MY dial for now.

An interesting tidbit that I discovered which may be of interest to anyone intending to construct an ETA-powered 6542 -

In the interim, while searching for the 2nd donor 1035, I tried fitting the guts of my Phase 1 watch (ETA 2846-powered) into the gen case/caseback. Unfortunately, it should come as no surprise that the dial is 1-2mm too wide to fit the case, but what I did not realize (& figured out just in time to avoid needlessly grinding a beautiful dial) is that the cyclops on the T115 used for the (1036-powered) 6542 is located 2mm to the left (or right, I cannot recall which) of its location on the T116, which is used for the (15xx-powered) 1675. Both lenses are the same except for the location of the cyclops. Although 2mm does not sound like a big deal, it makes quite a difference when you view a 2.5X magnified date through it. With the correct crystal, the date fills & appears perfectly centered in the cyclops. With the other crystal, it is clearly off.

So, for anyone constructing a gen-powered vintage GMT, remember, T115 for 1030/6542 & T116 for 15xx/1675. Very important.

Nicely done, my friend. My hat's off to you. :hi:

I saw a new/unused 6542 dial last week for $5,000. I'll keep my eyes open for anything in your price range.

Of course this all raises the question, what are you going to do with Phase-I once the Phase-II is complete?

Yes, I'm begging here. :notworthy:

I saw a new/unused 6542 dial last week for $5,000. I'll keep my eyes open for anything in your price range.

I consider myself quite lucky in finding all of the parts I have so far, but dials (at reasonable prices) seem to be alot more elusive. I almost picked up a water damaged dial a few months ago for a great price, but, after close inspection, the underlying metal appeared to be in slow decay, so, in the end, I had to pass.

Of course this all raises the question, what are you going to do with Phase-I once the Phase-II is complete?

Yes, I'm begging here. :notworthy:

No final decision yet, but duly noted.