When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega PO Crown issues

aclachey

Hello all.... I currently have a PO that keeps great time and I dont want to part with it but the screw down crown will not catch the threads. I can wind and correct the date and time on the watch but I cannot screw the crown down. Has anyone experienced this same issue? If so what can I do to correct it?

Thanks!h

Hello all.... I currently have a PO that keeps great time and I dont want to part with it but the screw down crown will not catch the threads. I can wind and correct the date and time on the watch but I cannot screw the crown down. Has anyone experienced this same issue? If so what can I do to correct it?

Thanks!h

Is it a UPO? If it is, then, yes this is a fairly common problem. Most people fix it buy buying a GEN crown and tube. Together both parts will cost you between 30 and 50usd if i'm not mistaken. You'll hvae to remove the old stem and insert the gen one with gen crown. Should literally take you about 10 minutes.

www.offrei for the parts. Not sure about the part numbers though.. you could probably do a search and find that out :)

Good luck!

Is it a UPO? If it is, then, yes this is a fairly common problem. Most people fix it buy buying a GEN crown and tube. Together both parts will cost you between 30 and 50usd if i'm not mistaken. You'll hvae to remove the old stem and insert the gen one with gen crown. Should literally take you about 10 minutes.

www.offrei for the parts. Not sure about the part numbers though.. you could probably do a search and find that out :)

Good luck!

Yup its UPO... sorry forgot to mention that... Thanks Ill check out Offrei!

Should literally take you about 10 minutes.

Not true. A gen tube is not the same size as the rep one, the case needs to be modified to accept the gen tube, you can try epoxy, but it will only work for a while before it pulls out of the case. The only permanent fix is to either weld the tube in the case, or make a bushing out of brass, press the bushing into the case, then press the tube into the bushing.

If that wasn't enough to take on, the stem will normally be too short for the gen crown, and a new stem doesn't always work either and you may have to use a stem extender to make it all work...

Not a 10 minute job, and certainly not a job for someone who hasn't the experience or tooling to do it...

OOPS.. i should eat my words... i thought it was fairly simple.. i thought i'd seen a tutorial on here a while back.

secondly i'm pretty dumb*** :bangin: for not noticing that dluddy had listed the part numbers before i responded... duhhh

I know there's a tutorial around here. Maybe you should order the parts and see if you can get them installed by a watchmaker/repair shop in your area. If zigg says something.. it's better to shut up and listen.. My mouth is shut on this thread! :brow:

@The Zigmeister

Is that what you do to mine. Because it feels rock solid. this will also keeps the water out?

I have been doing this mod for about the last year or so, so if it was done in that time frame, that is what you ended up with.

It should keep water and air out, the brass bushing is hammered into the case, then the tube pressed (or screwed depending on the model) into the brass. It is a very tight fit, so if yours feels rock solid, it's probably got the brass insert, if you look closely with the crown unscrewed, you can probably see the bushing...

OOPS.. i should eat my words... i thought it was fairly simple.. i thought i'd seen a tutorial on here a while back.

secondly i'm pretty dumb*** :bangin: for not noticing that dluddy had listed the part numbers before i responded... duhhh

I know there's a tutorial around here. Maybe you should order the parts and see if you can get them installed by a watchmaker/repair shop in your area. If zigg says something.. it's better to shut up and listen.. My mouth is shut on this thread! :brow:

I would not say dumb at all, while it seems simple, the big problem is the gen parts are not the same size as the rep ones, so the replacement requires quite a bit of re-work, certainly not a mod for someone who doesn't have the tooling or experience.

I would not say dumb at all, while it seems simple, the big problem is the gen parts are not the same size as the rep ones, so the replacement requires quite a bit of re-work, certainly not a mod for someone who doesn't have the tooling or experience.

Thanks Zig! seems like an intense job.... Any recommendations who can get this fixed for a fairly cheap price?? My debacle is I got a good deal on the watch but I dont want to spend more to get it fixed than what I paid for it..

This is the one mod that is not even close to cost effective on this watch. That being said I've only bushed two and it took me just under three hours for each one. If you cut corners you'll end up with a crooked crown and probably a damp movement.

My best advice is to think about how fragile the threads are when you get any screw down crown. Make sure they have a light coating of oil and just close until contact is made. Rotating slightly counterclockwise as you start also helps.

@Jimster,

I will have to disagree with you, The Zigmeister did this to my 45 PO and at the same time he relume the dial and hands. I could not be more pleased with the results. you can feel the different when screwing down the crown. My UPO has an ETA movement, Bought the watch in 2007. one of the best out there.

Well worth it and is not that expensive after all.

Cheers