When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3714 (Portu Chrono) Registry

ubiquitous

@JOERG

Thank you for the info, i was not sure if it was a flaw or an older version. good to know its accurate to pre 2003 models, but one have to keep in mind that by that time IWC 3714 had no AR and a 79240 movement. I also inquired about the difference between the 79240 and the new 79350 and the difference is only the finishing of the movements. The old one has a gold finishing and the new a nickel finishing. I was explained that the nickel one is less prone to scratches and more in line with other IWC movements therefore they decided to change it.

Hi Hugo,

now I can. This week I went to an AD because I want to purchase the gen 3714 with blue hands. As I own the rep portu with the rose gold hands and numbers, I also wanted to take a look at the gen. The gen has really yellowish gold hands and numbers instead of our rose gold ones.

But then: an older man came in and wanted to have his watch serviced. As he stands beside me, I was able to take a look at his watch, and surprisingly it was a 3714 white dial rose gold hands and numbs. I asked him very polite, If I can take a closer look for comparison btween the two models. His one ws exactly the same rose gold and numbers, as all our 3714 here. Also the crown has a fish, instead the new one "probus scafusia". The AD told us, because I asked, that the color of the hands and numbers, also the size and height of the numbers was slightly changed between 2001 and 2003 without any infos to ADs or customers. The pictures in the IWC catalogues were shot in 2002.

All in all I can say, that the whitedial rose golds are all models pre 09/2003 and very accurate. Even the white dial/blue and the all black reps are such a high quality ( excep the shitty movement), that if ARed you can hardly tell the difference between gen and rep.

The dials are replicated in such incredible high quality, that I must think twice if to go for a gen or a concepta franken. But because of a good sales commission, I guess I will go for the gen ;-)

No worries about color and fish: this is the old combi and also accurate.

Cheers, J

@JOERG

Thank you for the info, i was not sure if it was a flaw or an older version. good to know its accurate to pre 2003 models, but one have to keep in mind that by that time IWC 3714 had no AR and a 79240 movement. I also inquired about the difference between the 79240 and the new 79350 and the difference is only the finishing of the movements. The old one has a gold finishing and the new a nickel finishing. I was explained that the nickel one is less prone to scratches and more in line with other IWC movements therefore they decided to change it.

the AR pre 2003 was a very slight AR, single sided and with a more yellow/brown tint. You can see this in side by side comparison under white light. and you are right when you say " no AR", cause it is not really noticeable and not as strong as the newer ones. To be exact, I will ask my source in Switzerland on Tuesday about the AR issue.

Have a nice WE,

J

Guest avitt

Close up of Gen Gold Numerals

DSCF2477.jpg

This is a great shot to show the differences of the gen dial. Aside from the "bite" that's taken out of the "6", there is also a difference to the shape of the numerals. On the gen dial, the numbers are stamped from the back of the dial (they're actually part of the dial). This leaves the top edge of the numbers slightly rounded (in contrast with rep dials, where the numbers are applied like markers, and have square edges).

Rep dials can always be detected under close inspection, but are just fine for normal use...