When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Important Change to the Sales Area Request

ThinkBachs

Sales area editing allowance  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Allow members to edit their sales information to remove some or all sales details

• YES! I like knowing that the seller can change or remove any information about their item- especially when they claim one thing and I get another.
    • NO! Sellers should be able to remove information. Having this information available is a valuable resource and helps hold sellers accountable as well as protecting them from buyer misunderstandings.

While reviewing the sales area, I've noticed for a long time that people have the ability to either remove all information or replace the asking price to SOLD. This is very disappointing to see. For myself, I like to know what the fair market value is for watches being sold here. From a sellers standpoint, it's very convenient to have this information available in that sellers research the forums previous sales to determine if their asking price is in line. Likewise, a buyer can research an item to ensure they are paying a fair price. For sellers to remove this information is a disservice to the community and the forum that allows them to sell here.

Some might argue that when offers are made, the asking price is not accurate. To this, I would suggest that seeing comments and length of time on the board would then be taken into consideration when determining a pricing strategy.

Others might argue that it may not be anyone's business. To that I suggest that if you have a public offering, it is, at least as much as the information that was presented publicly.

There is one other benefit to preventing members from editing their sales posts, which is the ability of the buyer to review the listing once the item is received and the item has been inspected. Discrepancies can then be challenged and protects both the buyer and seller from any misunderstandings.

Removing the ability to edit in the sales area, in my opinion, far outweighs any benefits of keeping it as it is and I urge the admins to consider changing this feature which in the end will provide a more valuable service to the community as a whole.

I am torn. It is nice to have the history and watch out for scammers.

On the other hand, it is nice to remove, shall we say, incriminating evidence... (tin-foil hat)

Maybe a compromise is in order, that either rolls them off / expires them (like Craigslist)...

My take is this...we should adopt a policy that allows edits when more information is needed...for mistakes...to add more info and/or pix...but request - via policy - that prices and sales info stay as advertised when sold...many of us also change the price of sales when we reduce the item cost...

one other thing that i always do, is print the sales thread to a pdf after i buy an item...using a shareware program called cutepdf.com ...i also download the pix from the sales thread...RG changes the prices to SOLD - so having a copy of the sales thread in pdf helps me when i sell or just want to recall the price advertised...

R-

+1 HackR. I always print a copy of what I am buying, and if I negotiated a different price than asking, I just write that price down on the top of the page. I have a file with all of the watches I have ever bought just so that if I ever decide to sell one, I have a very accurate description of the watch that I bought.

As for the OP's original comments, I agree with HackR to be able to edit the listing is crucial to fix mistakes or to add/change pictures, but maybe once the watch is sold there is a way to lock the page? I too like to review past sales offerings to see what the going market rates are etc.....

I just read the poll again. I think the wording is a bit confusing by attempting to interject your feelings in the questions.

IMHO the poll should simply read:

Yes - Sellers should be allowed to edit their sales threads at any time.

No - Sellers should not be allowed to edit their sales threads.

:victory: