When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to ship to / from EU from CONUS ?

Panther917

Now that I have been a member for a couple of months and have accumulated some great reps (thanks to you guys) but now, this hobby, has turned into a quest for the holy grail-watch and getting a little out of control....ha!

I am starting to sell off some to fund others on that quest and had some questions about shipping options and how to best handle an international transaction.

Any suggestions on how best to ship to the UK or other EU country? How do you best determine the exchange rate? Do you ship through USPS through the Priority Mail flat rate box? What about customs issues?

I have two watches that need to get shipped tomorrow so any advice would be appreciated....

Good advice, although with the X-ray equipment they use these days, hiding it may not do the trick. For sure never mention the word replica anywhere.

Make sure that the buyers understand and agree that you aren't responsible for customs problems, seizures, etc. You are shipping to EU or other non-EU countries at the buyers risk, Period.Also before you ship, I would ask about shipping to individual countries. I know that most sellers of genuine watches will only ship to Italy for instance, via FedEx, mainly because the pilferage rate in the Italian Postal System is a real problem. Unfortunately, FedEx is not a good option for reps, as they have their own in house customs control, and they check packages pretty thoroughly.

I have shipped Reps to EU in the past, I always used USPS Priority international with tracking and delivery confirmation. Tracking sucks, but usually you can see if the watch made it to the buyer. I also put on the customs declaration, "Broken horological instrument, repaired and returned to sender"

As far as the exchange rate, if they pay with Paypal, they can select dollars when they pay. Paypal will convert at their going rate, otherwise, use one of the free currency converters on the internet. Google "Currency converter" and lots will show up.

Well wrapped.. and hidden inside something if possible. A cheap toy or teddy bear would be preferable. Otherwise..

Definitely NOT a good idea!Every cutoms has a x-ray machine. If something is hidden into some toy or ...that what it really is is probably very interesting for customs also. If it is needed to sent used watch from EU to Conus ( or reverse)then I will use that: watch will be sent with some fake "repairing sheet". If custom will open package then they can not tell that buyer are real buyer. Buyer will just receive watch for "fixing some problems", he is like a "watchmaker".

And use registered airmail. It is slower but better.

Definitely NOT a good idea!Every cutoms has a x-ray machine. If something is hidden into some toy or ...that what it really is is probably very interesting for customs also. If it is needed to sent used watch from EU to Conus ( or reverse)then I will use that: watch will be sent with some fake "repairing sheet". If custom will open package then they can not tell that buyer are real buyer. Buyer will just receive watch for "fixing some problems", he is like a "watchmaker".

And use registered airmail. It is slower but better.

Although you're right that maybe it will look less assuming if you send a watch with "repair work" on it. Most customs agents that seize a watch would probably be wondering why the hell you're sending a watch across the sea to "repair" it. Secondly.. if it's really worth repairing... why are you insuring it for only 10 or 20euros/dollars? Although it sounds harmless enough.. the best way to get a watch through customs is well disguised and well hidden. I've received 4 watches from china inside of toys..... Never had a problem :whistling:

For shipping within EU or CONUS there's no problem shipping the rep.. but crossing lines.. i wouldn't risk it.. especially if the watch is a precious franken or has alot of money invested into it. Trust me.. I wouldn't be sending a franken worth $1200 for it's parts across the ocean declared as "broken watch parts" unless I was willing to pay the insurance costs of declaring it a $1200 watch. (which many people are not willing to do) for fear of the receptor having to pay high tarriffs upon the package's arrival.

Better to be safe than sorry..

I'm going to Europe next week. I can't be the only one that travels a lot (I fly back and forth across the ocean to France/Switzerland ~15 times a year) here at RWG. Probably the safest thing to do is find someone who's going across the pond and ask him to mail it when they get there...?

If anyone needs something sent to Switzerland or the EU and isn't in a huge hurry, I'd be happy to ship it for them.

If you intend to send a rep watch to Germany, DO NOT hide it inside something! German customs x-rays almost everything now and if they find you're hiding something, at least the adressee will be in a lot of trouble - and maybe even you. German customs are the strictest in Europe, if not worldwide - believe me, personal experience... :black_eye:

The best way is of course to have someone relay it from Europe.

Cheers,

Whatever

Why is the addressee responsible in Germany? Doesn't make any sense... :g:

Without proof of purchase or a receipt (which reps never have), how can the german customs punish a recipient? Who's to say the watch wasn't a surprise gift?

It's not that easy... you get punished for importing fake products. The first time you only get a warning letter but you're "blacklisted" then. What they also do is inform the owner of the trademark, e.g. Panerai. Then you'll also get a letter from them warning you off...

The next time they'll catch you, you will be prosecuted and maybe even sued by the trademark owner civilly. You'll have to proof somehow you didn't order that watch and this could become a little difficult. Maybe you can get out of that, but surely you don't want that kind of trouble...

I've been through the first part (the warning letters) myself and I also know someone who has actually been prosecuted. He came off with a penalty.

Cheers,

Whatever

Thanks for the tips.....I sent using USPS priority international flat rate box as a broken watch for repair, to be returned. Cost was abut $15.00 to the UK....We'll hope for the best....