When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Keep it or send it back?

Gorilladame

Hi!

I bought a 127 crystal from the Bay a couple of days ago.

This was the auction image:

Bildschirmfoto2010-03-02um095328.png

Seller got many Rolex crystals, 1172 feedback, 100% positiv

Payed 61 Euro.

This is what I got:

12d288b9.jpg

Doesn´t the "o" on Rolex look totally wrong??

f7bd8202.jpg

e031c7ea.jpg

Not a Flat Hat at all....

Keep it or send it back?

BTW: This is a Daytona Dial he sells for 18.000 Euro:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ROLEX-Cosmograph-DAYTONA-6239-6263-6265-NEWMAN-dial-top_W0QQitemZ110500193699QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item19ba5325a3#ht_1693wt_1167

what is the magnification of cyclops like? If its 3x then it could be gen. I ve got an aftermarket crystal on my 1680 and the cyclops is only 2x so that is why I want to upgrade mine to a gen crystal. I am hoping that this will fix the problem.

The crystal that you received is actually better if you're going for period correct accuracy (e.g. a Red 1680); the slightly angled top is true old stock as it was used in earlier production; the straight, top hat style is the version that was used in later production, and as service replacements.

what is the magnification of cyclops like? If its 3x then it could be gen. I ve got an aftermarket crystal on my 1680 and the cyclops is only 2x so that is why I want to upgrade mine to a gen crystal. I am hoping that this will fix the problem.

How can I tell the magnification of the cyclops?

2e60d3de.jpg

Upper one is the eBay one

Down one is a 25 127 Clark one...

The crystal that you received is actually better if you're going for period correct accuracy (e.g. a Red 1680); the slightly angled top is true old stock as it was used in earlier production; the straight, top hat style is the version that was used in later production, and as service replacements.

Thanks for the advice!

Actually after cooling down a bit, it doesn

Interesting RS, I actually thought it was the other way around.

I was also of that understanding for a long time, M. Then I got to talking with a couple of vintage guys and learned that the angled tops were first and original on a lot of the old Reds. That explains why a number of those 1680s still fitted with their original 127s had come to look almost like domed crystals with a cyclops; 3 - 4 decades worth of polishing and general wear and tear had worn them down to be domed in shape. That kind of profile would be easier achieved with the angled top. Plus, I had seen some 1680s in near-never polished, near mint all original state with the same 127 fitted which further supported this line of thought for me.

I was also of that understanding for a long time, M. Then I got to talking with a couple of vintage guys and learned that the angled tops were first and original on a lot of the old Reds. That explains why a number of those 1680s still fitted with their original 127s had come to look almost like domed crystals with a cyclops; 3 - 4 decades worth of polishing and general wear and tear had worn them down to be domed in shape. That kind of profile would be easier achieved with the angled top. Plus, I had seen some 1680s in near-never polished, near mint all original state with the same 127 fitted which further supported this line of thought for me.

I agree; in fact, I just looked at probably a half a million dollars worth of vintage rolex yesterday, and one of the pieces was a red 1680 with the original angled crystal that had worn down to almost a dome shape around the edges.

Or maybe it is 2.5x and the clark's is 3x. When you install the crystal, you'll get a .5x boost or so because the crystal sits on the top of the case and the dial will be a mm or 2 below the top.

But the gen is a bit higher then the clark and they will both have the same space do the dial.

The clark is a 25 127 and as I can remember the 25 means 2.5 magnifikation, right?