When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Keep it or send it back?

Gorilladame

I agree; in fact, I just looked at probably a half a million dollars worth of vintage rolex yesterday, and one of the pieces was a red 1680 with the original angled crystal that had worn down to almost a dome shape around the edges.

To quote Nanuq from an other Thread, you can also make the flat hat look dome:

I hear you, my friend. Check this out... it started life as a "square" tropic 127 and look at the "dome" it turned into!

2.jpg

4.jpg

Axel probably didn't like the idea that a top hat sold for so little so he thought he'd try a switcheroo. He's been known to do stuff like that in the past. Got in a lot of trouble on the vintage rolex forum. Don't think he can sell there anymore because of that stuff.

As for which is older, I don't know Ubi, I've never heard that nor have I heard it discussed on the rolex forums. I have always heard that the top hat is older. I've had numerous vintage date subs over the years that had the top hat. A couple of Tudor 7021's, 3 9411's, a couple of 76100's and 1 1680. All had the original crystals and all were top hats.

Why would Rolex go from beveled edge to top hat then return to beveled edge? They didn't do a switch like that with the T19's. Started Super Dome, went to High Dome then to Dome. What did the vintage guys tell you? Reason I ask is that the 7021 was around at the same time as the Red 1680's and it definately had a top hat crystal.

A couple of the watches I owned (one of the 7021's and an early 76100) had the domed crystal effect but it was clear that they were originally Top Hats, not beveled.

Axel probably didn't like the idea that a top hat sold for so little so he thought he'd try a switcheroo. He's been known to do stuff like that in the past. Got in a lot of trouble on the vintage rolex forum. Don't think he can sell there anymore because of that stuff.

As for which is older, I don't know Ubi, I've never heard that nor have I heard it discussed on the rolex forums. I have always heard that the top hat is older. I've had numerous vintage date subs over the years that had the top hat. A couple of Tudor 7021's, 3 9411's, a couple of 76100's and 1 1680. All had the original crystals and all were top hats.

Why would Rolex go from beveled edge to top hat then return to beveled edge? They didn't do a switch like that with the T19's. Started Super Dome, went to High Dome then to Dome. What did the vintage guys tell you? Reason I ask is that the 7021 was around at the same time as the Red 1680's and it definately had a top hat crystal.

A couple of the watches I owned (one of the 7021's and an early 76100) had the domed crystal effect but it was clear that they were originally Top Hats, not beveled.

I just had a look on VRF- Do a search for 'Cyclope 127 GTG'... Seems others are of the same mindset that the bevel/angle came first.