When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bezel Insert For My Mbw 1680

flyback

Anybody knows which dealer sells the best aftermarket bezel insert for a 1680 mbw?

I have bought a gen tropic 127 yesterday :p , and now i'm looking for a bezel insert!

Thanks.

Philippe.

There are no dealers who sells good aftermarket inserts....

All of them sells the Insert with wrong Pearl...

Only chance is go for a pearl sometimes the Luminos dot you can find on the Bay...

RG tribal

There are no dealers who sells good aftermarket inserts....

All of them sells the Insert with wrong Pearl...

Only chance is go for a pearl sometimes the Luminos dot you can find on the Bay...

RG tribal

Thanks Tribal!

so the following bezel is not a quality one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-BEZEL-INSERT-FOR...3QQcmdZViewItem

@flyback

If you will go down to the bottom of this page and click on Ubi's thread. comparing a modern Sub 16610 with the Red letter 1680, you will see instantly what the problem is with the pearl/surround. The pearl on the modern subs is bigger, the outside edge of the surround overlaps the edge of the silver triangle, wheras the older 1680 pearl/surround are completely contained within the silver triangle. It doesn't seem like much, but these are the kinds of things that drive me nuts, also, anyone who is a Rolex WIS can tell at a glance that the insert is incorrect, just from looking at the pearl/surround.

I'm sure that there are lots and lots of genuine Subs/SeaDwellers out there with the incorrect bezel insert/pearl, primarily because the owner sent his watch to a local watchmaker for service who did not have access to genuine Rolex parts, or the bezel insert got beaten up with everyday wear and the owner changed it and put the cheaper aftermarket bezel insert on the watch, but they are not correct for the model.

The correct bezel inserts are scarce and very expensive. Just look at the prices that genuine parts bring on Ebay. I was bidding on a set of genuine hands for my DRSD 1665, the final bid was 455.00 USD, for a set of hands!! refinished dials are anywhere from 250-600. So rebuilding a MBW with genuine parts is expensive.

@flyback

If you will go down to the bottom of this page and click on Ubi's thread. comparing a modern Sub 16610 with the Red letter 1680, you will see instantly what the problem is with the pearl/surround. The pearl on the modern subs is bigger, the outside edge of the surround overlaps the edge of the silver triangle, wheras the older 1680 pearl/surround are completely contained within the silver triangle. It doesn't seem like much, but these are the kinds of things that drive me nuts, also, anyone who is a Rolex WIS can tell at a glance that the insert is incorrect, just from looking at the pearl/surround.

I'm sure that there are lots and lots of genuine Subs/SeaDwellers out there with the incorrect bezel insert/pearl, primarily because the owner sent his watch to a local watchmaker for service who did not have access to genuine Rolex parts, or the bezel insert got beaten up with everyday wear and the owner changed it and put the cheaper aftermarket bezel insert on the watch, but they are not correct for the model.

The correct bezel inserts are scarce and very expensive. Just look at the prices that genuine parts bring on Ebay. I was bidding on a set of genuine hands for my DRSD 1665, the final bid was 455.00 USD, for a set of hands!! refinished dials are anywhere from 250-600. So rebuilding a MBW with genuine parts is expensive.

Thanks for your reply Panerai153

I'm actually studying what i will do/will not do on my 1680 project.

I have ordered a white letter submariner dial, because i don't like the font of the red letter dial.

I think i will order a set of gen Tudor sub hands too. And the dial/hands will be "vintagized".

Browsing on the bay i have seen a lot of gen subs with the incorrect bezel insert, you're right!

The datewheel must have a flat number three... the three is curved <_<

Keep in mind that the bezel insert for the 1680 is a different size than the insert for the 16800 and 16610.

Watchtrader has the sizes in their reference section. I just paid a watchmaker $65 to replace the bezel insert on my gen 1680, and it's a gen bezel insert from what I can tell (or a damn good generic!), so you might want to try to source a gen.