When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to tell if it's 21J or ETA without Opening

Harrison S

hey guys... I just got my Explorer I from trustywatchguy in the mail.

Everything looks good but oddly the rolex hologram sticker isn't present... or to be seen anywhere.

Anyway... I'm wondering if there is a way to check if the watch is a 21J asia or ETA... I ordered the "swiss" eta, version...

Oh, I mean check without opening...

I'm a complete noob at this... but I compared the tick sounds with a gen Omega seamaster pro 300m, and the speed of the ticks matches the rep Explorer I.

Does this mean it's 28,800 bph? aka ETA? I heard Asia 21J has a lower bph.

thanks

hey guys... I just got my Explorer I from trustywatchguy in the mail.

Everything looks good but oddly the rolex hologram sticker isn't present... or to be seen anywhere.

Anyway... I'm wondering if there is a way to check if the watch is a 21J asia or ETA... I ordered the "swiss" eta, version...

Oh, I mean check without opening...

I'm a complete noob at this... but I compared the tick sounds with a gen Omega seamaster pro 300m, and the speed of the ticks matches the rep Explorer I.

Does this mean it's 28,800 bph? aka ETA? I heard Asia 21J has a lower bph.

thanks

Hi there it may be the asian eta this is 28,800 bph but the vintage rolexes suite better the lower beat i replace my 5512 trustytime swiss eta 28,800 with a slower beat old 1970s 2783 eta to be closer to the gen beat!

Edited by aeromatic

There are also clone and other brands that tick 28000 bps.

The only way to find out if it's a gen ETA is to open the case back and shoot some detailed pics

of the movement.

Eurotimez once posted a pictorial on how to determine if it's a clone or a gen.

Hit the search button and you will find it.

By the way i saw another post of you where you said it was loosing 5 sec in 2 hours meaning 1 minute a day.

One thing is for sure your movement needs to be regulated ( then the caseback will opened and you will know what's inside )

Carpe Diem

Cats

Thanks Cats (and aeromatic)

(that's what I was fearing for; cloned ETA movements but at least it rules out the Asia 21J)

I got this from Andrew, I heard he was a reputable dealer, so I hope he kept his word.

I think I need to take this to a watch repair center. Do you recommend me doing that or is there a member here that provides the same service?

I don't have a case opening tool I'm afraid. :-(

I'll take pics of the movement and have it calibrated.

Thanks Cats (and aeromatic)

(that's what I was fearing for; cloned ETA movements but at least it rules out the Asia 21J)

I got this from Andrew, I heard he was a reputable dealer, so I hope he kept his word.

I think I need to take this to a watch repair center. Do you recommend me doing that or is there a member here that provides the same service?

I don't have a case opening tool I'm afraid. :-(

I'll take pics of the movement and have it calibrated.

Andrews always shipped me watches with movements as described no problems!

Take your watch to any good repair shop! except rolex authorised dealer/service centres(smile)! good luck!

Edited by aeromatic

Hand winding an ETA movement should be smooth as silk .. the gears are so nicely designed and finished.

ETA clones are very close to the same hand feel!

Asia 21j 21k (2813) movements are rough and "buzzy" to wind.

I've never hand wound an Asia 21j 28k movement (4813) so I cant comment.

lol i emailed andrew.

this is what he said

"5 secs is still ok. For any watch which is mechanical... 5-15 secs is ok because the mechanical watch movement also fluctuate due to temperate differences. Thanks"

should i still take it to a watch center? or is this the accuracy limitation of the rep?

Edited by ratpatrolteam01

"I've never hand wound an Asia 21j 28k movement (4813) so I cant comment."

Everything is the same except the balance assembly and a few wheels. The winding parts are all the same and have the same feel. They are fairly easy to spot when the sweep second hand motion is compared to a regular 21600 beat '21 jewel' movement.

Exception:

The 28800 beat '21 jewel' movements have a leaf spring damper on the sweep second pinion just like the regular 21600 and if it is not supplying enough tension, it can stutter and make it hard to tell if it is 21600 or 28800 beats per second.

Seems like nothing is easy. <_<

Thanks for all the help guys.

Next week I'm going to get this watch regulated.

EDIT:

I tried hand winding the watch...

I'm seriously a noob at this soo... this is how it is

1. Unscrew Crown

2. If I spin the crown at this point its "buzzy" i imagine this isn't doing ANYTHING, it's just spinning on its last thread

3. Slightly pull it clicks if i spin nothing happens, very smooth. I imagine this is hand winding the watch. It's extremely smooth. It feels like nothings happening though.

4. Slightly pull it again with another click, the watch stop, if i spin the crown guard, i can control the minute/hour hand

Am I doing it right in Step 3? Lol

Edited by ratpatrolteam01