When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1680

omgiv

Hey Guys,

I almost have something to finally show you guys but it isn't quite finished yet. I still have to drill the bracelet. Hopefully tomorrow. It is a red 1680 MBW but there are a few things that bother me. The biggest is the date wheel. The font is very strange and not all of the numbers line up. Does anyone know of a better overlay? I have one of PT's new DRSD that has the silver date wheel. Do you think that would look better, if it lines up with the window? The other thing is the dial. I think I might order the white version. Anyway, I am hoping to post some pictures later when it is complete. Thanks for any ideas on the date wheel.

Do you have the standard white MBW DW? If so, the older ones used to line up fine- mine does. If yours is a white DW, it would appear that the quality may have slipped some. However, the newer DW's- like the silver one ETZ sells and the PT one in the 1665 are more correct in terms of fonts- like the flat top 3's and color- the brushed silver. The ETZ DW is $20 plus s&h- I bought one a few months ago, but I haven't installed it yet on my 2846-2 movement so I can't say if all of the dates line up. On my PT 1665, most dates are fine, but not all are perfect.

The MBW Red Sub dials main flaw is that the red sub printing is too large. The MBW white sub dial is much better. Problem is you can't fit anyone else's red sub dial in an MBW case w/o mods to either the case or the dial.

Unfortunately, unless something has changed, the ETZ datewheels aren't available any more. You must have gotten one of the last ones. I Emailed them and they said the manufacturer wasn't making any, and they would have to have a big order to make more. I was pretty bummed as I wanted one for my MBW 1680.

That little flair at the end of the numerals is a serif! It is correct on certain Rolex DW's. I'm not sure if it's correct for the 1680- I'll look at my gen tonight. As I recall, the MBW DW that I have on my red sub rep has the same serifs.

You could remove your DRSD dial and install your red sub dial and see how the PT DW works out- it should be fine. You'd also have the 2846-2 movt which is more correct- 21600bph vs 19800 on the 1570 Rolex movt. The 2836-2 is 28800 bph.