When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 (Pics as Promised)

omgiv

Hey Guys,

Well, it isn't perfect but it is as close as I can get it today. I took my DRSD from PT apart today to see if the date wheel will go into my MBW 1680 sub. Unfortunately, the window on the MBW dial does not line up with the PT date wheel. That is really too bad since I like the font and color much better. So, I decided to put the white one back on and finish the watch. I drilled the bracelet today, installed the crystal, regulated the movement, and pressure tested it to 10 ATM. The things that bother me still are the date wheel, the red sub dial, the lume on the dial and hands, and the bezel is a bit stiff to turn. I plan on ordering a white 1680 dial from ETZ and may send the dial and hands to be relumed. I don't know what to do about the stiff bezel. It turns smoothly in a few places, but it takes a lot of force in others. A gen is much smoother. So, here is the tally for this watch:

Old MBW case previously purchased (lugs drilled, edges smoothed, crown guards shaped)

Genuine crown and tube

2846 movement with hacking feature (I know it shouldn't but non hacking watches drive me crazy)

Genuine Crystal

Genuine insert (which didn't snap into the insert as securely as I liked so I glued it)

Genuine 580 end links

Drilled bracelet

I am fairly happy with it right now and it feels really good on the wrist. My plan is to turn the extra case I have into a 5513. I plan on taking some pictures and measurements of the new "old" MBW case for everyone. Thanks to everyone for all of their help. I truly appreciate it. Also, feel free to comment or make suggestions on what would make it better. Anyway, onto the poorly taken pictures.

Thanks!!!!

PT silver date wheel with MBW Red Sub dial:

th_DSC_0001-2.jpg

Date wheel side by side:

th_DSC_0003-1.jpg

th_DSC_0006.jpg

th_DSC_0008.jpg

th_DSC_0010.jpg

th_DSC_0011-1.jpg

Looks good so far!

BTW, Rolex added the hacking feature to the 1570 movt around 1972 or so. My 1978 gen hacks.

I agree with you in that the PT DW sits inboard of the MBW DW. After installing the MBW GWSD dial on my PT 1665 I noticed that.

P1000285-2-1.jpg

The 27 is pushed to the inside of the MBW window.

I've got the same red sub (from Watchmaster- same as MBW) and I don't know what to do with the dial either

P1000290-1.jpg

I even have an extra relumed MBW red sub dial from Ziggy, but I just can't get excited about it- that red Submariner print is just too large!

yeah, my 1570 from '72 hacks, so don't worry about having a watch that hacks.

If you really want to get it closer to gen, remove the quickset date and convert it to a two position stem. Then you can only set the date by advancing the hands past midnight... but it is a real pain in the ass!