When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Watch Trade-In

vlydog

I have been knocking around the idea of trading-in a gen watch for another. What can one expect to receive on a trade-in if the watch is in mint condition? It was also purchased only 5 months ago.

What percentage of the purchase price should I ask for?

Thank you for your assistance.

It really depends on the watch. I would have thought a maximum of 50% return is fairly typical but certain watches reach a higher figure if desired. The problem is that only being 5 months old you will sustain a big loss incomparison to having the watch a few years and still getting a similar figure in exchange. Omega Seamaster's are a prime example.

I believe watcher is correct. Almost every one I have ever traded, they gave me about 50% of the retail value. I have traded a few Rolex genuine quite a few years ago, and they were more like 65-70% of retail, trading up to another Rolex.

I believe that you would be better off trying to sell your watch on one of the genuine watch sales forums like TZ, WatchU Seek, etc. You can go to those forums and do a search of your particular brand, model, etc. and see what the prices look like. I have sold quite a few watches on both WUS and TZ. I found that when you price is reasonable watches generally sell pretty fast, if you're overpriced to begin with, it will sit around and get few bites. Just like our sales forum here, good sharp photos and a clear concise description and condition make for a quicker sale.

Good luck

I believe that you would be better off trying to sell your watch on one of the genuine watch sales forums like TZ, WatchU Seek, etc. You can go to those forums and do a search of your particular brand, model, etc. and see what the prices look like. I have sold quite a few watches on both WUS and TZ. I found that when you price is reasonable watches generally sell pretty fast, if you're overpriced to begin with, it will sit around and get few bites. Just like our sales forum here, good sharp photos and a clear concise description and condition make for a quicker sale.

Good luck

+1

i think you'll be much better off selling on TZ, unless the AD you're looking to buy the new watch from his really hurting and willing to give you an inflated value to get you into a new watch.

deltatahoe

yes Vly, I agree with others, and try to sell it via the gen forums. if you take it to an AD, they will pay you less than what you would get from the forums, and then jack up to a higher price and sell it to their customers. good luck, and having been at the gen forums for a bit, and I hate to admit this, rolex holds their value better than other brands. don't ask me why, but that's just something that I have noticed. good luck.