When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Questions for modding a SOSF

cougaree

I have a first generation "Swiss" SOSF, and so far I only had a gen Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement, gen rotor and gen dw installed. I'm planning to install a gen dial later. Does anyone know where I can get a set of gen hands? Mine second hand's the square and dot are too close to the end. Do the later SOSF have better case, better pearl? If so, should I also change the case? Does the case accept a gen bezel (or a better made rep bezel)?

Thanks!

Don't think you'll get a gen bezel on there, the rep doesn't go on like the gen does far as I know (not really screwed on like the gen is).

From the things I have read around here its best to leave the bezel alone, some people cant get theirs off, others that got it off broke something on the way. Its rough terrain.

Guys, thanks for the replies!

Opti: As for the bezel, I know with some Breitling models, the bezel is very hard to get it off, but it seems to me that with the first or second generation ones the bezel is more likely able to be removed without too much effort. On the rep bezel, what troubles me is the pearl. It's really not bad, but since I have already done a lot on the watch, it would be great if I can also replace the bezel... I may be daydreaming...

BT: I got a black one on ebay. I know they are really hard to find. In fact this is the only one I have seen for sale...ever. Hopefully there are some come up soon. I will keep an eye out for you.

Ah... you got that dial then. I had a local Scandinavian RWG friend bidding for it too. Damn... :D:bangin:

Yeah that was the first one I ever saw. Someone would make a MINT if he found a source for gen Fish dials. I'd build 2 frankens instantly... black and white.

Breitling dials are nearly impossible to get. Sure you can find plenty of Super Avenger dials and some Evo dials, but only because they are often replaced by the "bling" crowd, but you will rarely see any other current dials available. The OP is very lucky indeed to have been able to snag an SFSO dial, that is the only one I've ever seen available!

From what I have been told about Breitling hands, is that they use such a tight press fit to the pinions, that they are literally destroyed when removed. I have heard of some having to cut the pinions to just to remove the hands in order not to destroy the dial. I tend to believe this as Breitling puts on new hands during full services.

cougs - have you considered figuring out if the 12 o'clock tab can be removed and replaced?...that might solve your pearl issue...i have an a21j fish with a swiss case - yet larger pearl...but the engravings are great on this one...my t4d fish is an asian "lite" model and the pearl is good, but the bezel engravings aren't as nice as the swiss fish...looking at my two fish, the best configuration is the thinner swiss case where the case extends slightly past the bezel (like the gen), the swiss bezel and the asian 12 o'clock tab and pearl...i have no idea if this could be assembled easily or not...

R-

hackR: Thanks for your suggestion. The 12o'clock tab is a part of the bezel, cannot be removed, unlike the windrider tabs on BCE. I wish it's the same, but...no. My pearl is not really too bad. It's ok, it's just not great. I mean if I can't change it, then I can't change it. Really, I should be more realistic, not expecting perfections.

Is this steelfish black or blue on youtube? I'm confused.

heh, I've been using youtube a lot lately to get the feel of the rep watches

That's black and it's gen. The violet tint comes from AR.

Gen blue model is very different. It's much lighter.

2.jpg

PS: Nice vid.

Anyone know which version of SOSF has the best case?

Thanks!

I think the ETA "Ultimate" version had the exact same case since the day one. It hasn't changed.

It's extremely good. I didn't notice the shorter crown guards on the gen before I shot the watches side-by-side. Review.

Some other Fish reps have smaller pearl but in my eyes that's insignificant. Of course the gen Pro2 bracelet is much nicer but the rep bracelet ain't bad at all, either. Caseback markings are a bit sharper on the gen but you gotta look really closely. Crown is also a bit different and gen SELs are more recessed. The dial makes the biggest difference, rest isn't that big of a deal (imho).