When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gens vs. Reps

By-Tor

Besides, reps and the sort are more interesting. It's fun to have a 5 page long thread discussing the details and dissecting the subject in question.

I enjoy building and posting my franken projects, complete with build pics and the sort, and discussing the process in which they were constructed. I very much so enjoy reading on the projects that others share on the forum as well. I would be bored to tears with posts of gen watches with 5 pages of nothing but 'oooh, looks nice! congrats' posts, simply because there's nothing technical or interesting in those types of threds. Just a lot of back patting and high fives. Internet brofist applicable as well.

I guess that's why I don't visit the gen forums much anymore (vintage forums being the exception, because there is a lot technical and interesting content contained in those forums)... But my comment is more to do with modern gens... When you have purchased perfection out of the box, there's nothing more to do except wear it. Bob's, Steve's and George's brand new gen Breitling B0s are all the same. Not much to really talk about...

i just got my gen lv, some first impressions compared to a modded wm9 v2 rep( gen insert, clark crystal, removed rehaut engravings, smooth bracelet edges), without thinking about price etc..

- overall both watches seem to be comparable in terms of quality, plus gen lv even felt cheaper out of box and bracelet sides sharper! :lol:

- i just found a quick way to tell between rep or gen, gen movt sounds very different than the eta of wm9, rolex movt has some kind of chimming sound...

-bezel on gen is much tighter and overal looks more "complete", also the clasp is noticably better quality.

- firstly lets keep it short, gen sub overall better quality and better fitted, but rep is very very close

pics will follow soon

here is one, sry about bad quality

dsc0188gf.jpg

I totally dissagree Frank, although I do respect your opinion. :) I say you get much more than you pay for. Im talking about the "cream of the crop reps" not your average medicore reps. Im wearing my Breitling SA today thats so gen like It's scary, :o my watch repair guy agrees. :thumbsupsmileyanim: The differences are all loupe stuff. This Is just one of many examples. I think these high end reps are the "best bang for the buck" that one could hope to find. To make matters even better most of my reps are keeping excellent time. :yeah: Mike

No way, bro, budget reps are "best back for the buck" as if they go wrong, there's less $$s invested in them ;):victory:

No way, bro, budget reps are "best back for the buck" as if they go wrong, there's less $$s invested in them ;):victory:

But broham ;) there so cheep looking, why would you want to put any money In them In the first place. :D I know what your saying Tee Jay but my experence has been that the better reps cost more, like most things In life. I know that this Is not always the case, exception to every rule and all that. I purchased a few cheeper reps and I really dont like to wear them. But Im sure there are some very good reps that are Inexpensive. Most times are opinions are based on are experences, It's all good my man :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

But broham ;) there so cheep looking, why would you want to put any money In them In the first place. :D I know what your saying Tee Jay but my experence has been that the better reps cost more, like most things In life. I know that this Is not always the case, exception to every rule and all that. I purchased a few cheeper reps and I really dont like to wear them. But Im sure there are some very good reps that are Inexpensive. Most times are opinions are based on are experences, It's all good my man :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

The thing to remember, is there're 'cheap reps', and there are 'cheap reps'... Much of the stuff I saw on market stalls in Spain 18 months ago, was real junk, with the occasional nice fantasy piece thrown into the mix. Some of the stuff I've bought on CQout for about

My take about reps is that todays reps are so close to the gen that probably 95% of people can't tell the diffrence specially watches like the explorer, WM9 subs and GMT, I also think that 95% of people will decide whether your watch is a rep or gen based on the way you present yourself, for example you could be wearing a TW best junk but wearing nice looking clothes or driving a fancy car or know you have a high education degree and will assume that its a gen, or on the other hand you could be wearing a gen but also wearing clothes looking like a homeless or drive a cheap car or work as a cashier in a supermarket and they would never think what your wearing is the real thing even if you show them a reciept where it was purchased from. So my point is that most people will decide if your watch is fake or real not by there knowledge about watches, by the way you are presented.

My take about reps is that todays reps are so close to the gen that probably 95% of people can't tell the diffrence specially watches like the explorer, WM9 subs and GMT, I also think that 95% of people will decide whether your watch is a rep or gen based on the way you present yourself, for example you could be wearing a TW best junk but wearing nice looking clothes or driving a fancy car or know you have a high education degree and will assume that its a gen, or on the other hand you could be wearing a gen but also wearing clothes looking like a homeless or drive a cheap car or work as a cashier in a supermarket and they would never think what your wearing is the real thing even if you show them a reciept where it was purchased from. So my point is that most people will decide if your watch is fake or real not by there knowledge about watches, by the way you are presented.

good point. This is how I assess people sometimes too ! Hey, we're all human.

Absolutely spot on :good: All the time people make judgement like that, I don't think it's worth 'getting the best rep' so as not to get called out, but getting what you personally like and feel comfortable with wearing. No greater 'tell' than someone wearing a watch and feeling self-conscious of it. Who cares what the gen is supposed to cost... It's your watch, it is supposed to be on your wrist :good::drinks:

It's a really good point here By-tor, and unfortunately I dn't have to read through all of the rpelies just yet, but will endeavour to later on as I feel it is a very itneresting topic.

Having owned watches such as the UPO and its gen counter part, an SMP gen and the rep counter part, the differences are there and the gens are definitely of better quality.....

HOWEVER, the new 'super reps' really have moved the benchmark upwards. My replica of the Tag Aquaracer is every bit as good as the genuine that I handled in the AD. It's ust absolutely brilliant for the money.

I bought a gen Navitimer recently, and everything operates really smoothly on that, but like yourself Bt, it had a small glitch on the AR,and being one of my 'grails' I have sent it off for an AR coating with Domenico. If I prefer the genuine AR when it's back, I will take it to Breitling for a new crystal, but I thought I would explore the cheaper option first.

Back to my discussion of gens vs reps, although the Breitling is finished to a higher standard than my reps, it really isn't enough to justify the price differential.....and my point here isn't that luxurious goods aren't worth the money, my point is that for the money of a rep, you really do get a bloody good bargain and that the small glitches are worth living with, and to be expected at this price point.

The only watch I have ever owned that really stood apart from the reps and gens I have owned is the Ulysse Nardin. the attention to detail and build quality is just beyond belief.

In general though, the difference between the rep and gen is actually very small.....it is just small things that are different, and for the money, enjoy the replica hobby because we really are in the age of the replica compared to when I first started collecting four years ago. I feel because some new members haven't seen the transition from 'average reps' to 'super reps', they take things for granted sometimes and expect perfection from a Chinese built rep.

The thing to remember, is there're 'cheap reps', and there are 'cheap reps'... Much of the stuff I saw on market stalls in Spain 18 months ago, was real junk, with the occasional nice fantasy piece thrown into the mix. Some of the stuff I've bought on CQout for about

Fair enough, I do know that some members here have cheeper reps that they like eveey bit as much as there more expensive reps. I guess the personality of a watch can come through reguardless of price. :drinks: Mike

Absolutely, but not so much a case of the price at purchase, just pointing out that what is available on dealer sites on the lower price brackets, are often available even cheaper 'off the beaten path', so price alone isn't always an indicator of the quality of the watch :):drinks:

[edit to add]

And to work that backwards, just because a watch costs more, doesn't always mean it is going to be better quality... ;)

Absolutely, but not so much a case of the price at purchase, just pointing out that what is available on dealer sites on the lower price brackets, are often available even cheaper 'off the beaten path', so price alone isn't always an indicator of the quality of the watch :):drinks:

[edit to add]

And to work that backwards, just because a watch costs more, doesn't always mean it is going to be better quality... ;)

This Is very true Tee Jay. But ;) the better the movement the better the rep or gen as far as that go's. at least In some peoples mind. But again exception to every rule. Im wearing the UN maxie that you and I talked about a few weeks back, It has the 23 jewel thats a fantastic movement Imho. This watch can be found for around $150.00, you might find It cheeper on one of your discount sites. Now If this watch had a ETA It would probably be twice as much. Would having a ETA make It a better watch? Im not so sure :g: The Asian 23 jewl movement Is a fantastic movement Imho. It has a decorated rotor/movement and a fully functional PR. The sweep is very smooth and It keeps excellent time. So would having the more expensive movement make It the better watch? Than there the materials used that can make a huge difference In price. Saphire vs mineral crystal, ceramic vs plastic, ect, quality of the overall fit and finish. But It;s true that the more expensive watch Is not always the better watch, not always but more times than not Imho. Preception plays a big part also. :) Mike

This Is very true Tee Jay. But ;) the better the movement the better the rep or gen as far as that go's. at least In some peoples mind. But again exception to every rule. Im wearing the UN maxie that you and I talked about a few weeks back, It has the 23 jewel thats a fantastic movement Imho. This watch can be found for around $150.00, you might find It cheeper on one of your discount sites. Now If this watch had a ETA It would probably be twice as much. Would having a ETA make It a better watch? Im not so sure :g: The Asian 23 jewl movement Is a fantastic movement Imho. It has a decorated rotor/movement and a fully functional PR. The sweep is very smooth and It keeps excellent time. So would having the more expensive movement make It the better watch? Than there the materials used that can make a huge difference In price. Saphire vs mineral crystal, ceramic vs plastic, ect, quality of the overall fit and finish. But It;s true that the more expensive watch Is not always the better watch, not always but more times than not Imho. Preception plays a big part also. :) Mike

I have to admit, I don't think I've seen any UNs on CQout, it could be that the dealers don't have the connections to the factories to get the really good stuff, or, it could mean that those dealers only stock the most commonly popular watches to make money via repeat sales, where the dealers here are actually catering to actual watch enthusiasts... Movements are a tricky issue... Personally, I find a21js acceptable, but spending that extra money does ensure a smoother sweep, so it comes down to what a person requires in the watch itself... A budget rep wouldn't pass as gen to a knowledgeable WIS, but to the untrained eye, might never raise suspicion as long as the wearer can pull off wearing the watch (which again needs the observer to recognize what they're looking at) As you say, perception is the key :)

I have to admit, I don't think I've seen any UNs on CQout, it could be that the dealers don't have the connections to the factories to get the really good stuff, or, it could mean that those dealers only stock the most commonly popular watches to make money via repeat sales, where the dealers here are actually catering to actual watch enthusiasts... Movements are a tricky issue... Personally, I find a21js acceptable, but spending that extra money does ensure a smoother sweep, so it comes down to what a person requires in the watch itself... A budget rep wouldn't pass as gen to a knowledgeable WIS, but to the untrained eye, might never raise suspicion as long as the wearer can pull off wearing the watch (which again needs the observer to recognize what they're looking at) As you say, perception is the key :)

Thats right TeeJay, perception Is the key. The bottom line Is how you feel about the watch. If you like It and enjoy wearing It then you have the right watch for you and your needs. I dont think that most people could tell the difference between a $100 rep as opposed to a $300.00 rep. Thats why when I buy a rep, I buy that rep for my own personal satisfaction. When I first arrived here I would think about what others might think, would I get called out? the horror of It all :shock: lol. This honestly never enters my mind anymore, well almost never. ;) Unless your hanging around a bunch of watch enthusiasts Its not going to happen. Some of the cheeper reps really look good, only under close scrutiny are they detectable. One of the reasons I love this hobby so much Is because there Is no wrong/right watch, not Imo anyway. If you have a watch, rep or gen, and you enjoy wearing It and working on It, then as far as Im concerned you have hit the mark. That mark Is a hobby that brings you fulfilment. :wub: I know for a fact that you and I are on the same page In this reguard :thumbsupsmileyanim:

imo just to keep in mind, rep is rep and gen is gen, the rep could be very high quality but its still a copy of something else originally...reps are nice, fun but it will never have the value of the original, no matter how close or good it is.some gens also much better investment(both wristtime and money) in long term, except thoese "disposable" fashion watches

I mean lets face it, most of us here can't afford a gen or can but won't sleep right for a month haha, and here is what we say to ourselfs "you only live once" so we want to experiance what it feels like to be wearing a rollie or other brands but mostly rolex and thats why we buy reps, now some of us are embarrased if someone comes in and tells us what we're wearing is fake, thats why we try to look for the most accurate reps and we try to mod them so we can reduce the chances of being spotted wearing fake. I'm a huge rolex fan so as 90% of people here buying reps, but we gotta admit that rolex does not make the best watches, not the best design, movement, or material but we love it just cause it makes us look professional let face it whats so nice abouth the submariner? i can design a better watch in 10 min while drinking whisky ha.

Thats right TeeJay, perception Is the key. The bottom line Is how you feel about the watch. If you like It and enjoy wearing It then you have the right watch for you and your needs. I dont think that most people could tell the difference between a $100 rep as opposed to a $300.00 rep. Thats why when I buy a rep, I buy that rep for my own personal satisfaction. When I first arrived here I would think about what others might think, would I get called out? the horror of It all :shock: lol. This honestly never enters my mind anymore, well almost never. ;) Unless your hanging around a bunch of watch enthusiasts Its not going to happen. Some of the cheeper reps really look good, only under close scrutiny are they detectable. One of the reasons I love this hobby so much Is because there Is no wrong/right watch, not Imo anyway. If you have a watch, rep or gen, and you enjoy wearing It and working on It, then as far as Im concerned you have hit the mark. That mark Is a hobby that brings you fulfilment. :wub: I know for a fact that you and I are on the same page In this reguard :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Couldn't've said it any better myself, bro :drinks: As you say, if it's the watch you like, then it's the right watch for you :) For example, I think this, is a really nice watch:

d947a03b9efed0723dadb83ad04cccc8_im.jpg

Maybe upgrade the insert and swap the bracelet for a dark brown Breitling-style leather strap, and I think it would look the nuts.

Honestly, I don't think most people (ie civilians) could tell the difference between a $100 rep and a gen as long as it doesn't have Rolex printed on the dial :whistling:

As you say, a group of real enthusiasts would know, but, if someone was wearing a well built franken, chances are they might appreciate it as a well executed project, rather than just looking down on it as a rep (that is if they're True Watch Enthusiasts, and not just gen snobs ;) ) I've think much of the reason why so many newcomers ask "Who has the best sub?" is because they want a recognizable watch, but don't want to get called out wearing it. My easiest answer to that, is to not go modern, but go vintage... Wear a watch which, although expensive, might be inherited/otherwise acquired, so the wealth of the person actually wearing it is not the defining factor. I don't look at that as trying to pass a rep off as a gen, as the person can always explain what it is if asked, instead, I look at it as 'flying under the radar'... And of course, once someone starts getting into watches, other more obscure brands start to attract the attention, and that saves the recognition factor at all :victory: I definitely believe that people should wear the watch which is right for them, not wear the watch they think will get the most attention/comments :victory:

I mean lets face it, most of us here can't afford a gen or can but won't sleep right for a month haha, and here is what we say to ourselfs "you only live once" so we want to experiance what it feels like to be wearing a rollie or other brands but mostly rolex and thats why we buy reps, now some of us are embarrased if someone comes in and tells us what we're wearing is fake, thats why we try to look for the most accurate reps and we try to mod them so we can reduce the chances of being spotted wearing fake. I'm a huge rolex fan so as 90% of people here buying reps, but we gotta admit that rolex does not make the best watches, not the best design, movement, or material but we love it just cause it makes us look professional let face it whats so nice abouth the submariner? i can design a better watch in 10 min while drinking whisky ha.

There's an advert in the UK for a brand of wood-stain who's company slogan is "Does exactly what it says on the tin..." I think much of the appeal of the Submariner (which James Bond plays a big part of) is that it is a watch, which, like the wood-stain, does exactly what it says on the tin... Sure, recent releases have been more 'fashion oriented', but the original Submariners, they were tool watches... They told the time, (sometimes the date as well) and have a timing bezel which can be used for many things... They're relatively lightweight and comfortable, but also durable and robust. I agree, not the most aesthetically pleasing of watches, but certainly a real workhorse of the horological world :)

They're relatively lightweight and comfortable, but also durable and robust. I agree, not the most aesthetically pleasing of watches, but certainly a real workhorse of the horological world :)

Your right buddy it is durable and robust, but my point is we're not spending time at RWG to look for a robust and durable watch, we're trying to get a sub rep that is close to the gen so we can get recognized by people that were wearing a rolex watch and we also know that sub is the most recognizable rolex

Couldn't've said it any better myself, bro :drinks: As you say, if it's the watch you like, then it's the right watch for you :) For example, I think this, is a really nice watch:

d947a03b9efed0723dadb83ad04cccc8_im.jpg

Maybe upgrade the insert and swap the bracelet for a dark brown Breitling-style leather strap, and I think it would look the nuts.

Honestly, I don't think most people (ie civilians) could tell the difference between a $100 rep and a gen as long as it doesn't have Rolex printed on the dial :whistling:

As you say, a group of real enthusiasts would know, but, if someone was wearing a well built franken, chances are they might appreciate it as a well executed project, rather than just looking down on it as a rep (that is if they're True Watch Enthusiasts, and not just gen snobs ;) ) I've think much of the reason why so many newcomers ask "Who has the best sub?" is because they want a recognizable watch, but don't want to get called out wearing it. My easiest answer to that, is to not go modern, but go vintage... Wear a watch which, although expensive, might be inherited/otherwise acquired, so the wealth of the person actually wearing it is not the defining factor. I don't look at that as trying to pass a rep off as a gen, as the person can always explain what it is if asked, instead, I look at it as 'flying under the radar'... And of course, once someone starts getting into watches, other more obscure brands start to attract the attention, and that saves the recognition factor at all :victory: I definitely believe that people should wear the watch which is right for them, not wear the watch they think will get the most attention/comments :victory:

To be really honest, I think It's a beautiful watch. I love the orig Omega SM case design, classic :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Your right buddy it is durable and robust, but my point is we're not spending time at RWG to look for a robust and durable watch, we're trying to get a sub rep that is close to the gen so we can get recognized by people that were wearing a rolex watch and we also know that sub is the most recognizable rolex

I know totally get what you're saying, but I'd have to disagree very slightly... That might be what people are looking for when they first come to the forum, but I think the longer folks stay around, reading the boards, seeing the different brands, they start taking an interest in different brands, not necessarily for their recognition, but because it's a good watch which suits their needs in a watch :) Personally, I was already into Omega when I got here, but then got more into Panerai, and wound up coming full circle back to Rolex and Tudor as my prefered watches. Not so much for the brandings, but the features and form. I really like the blue dial PP Nautilus, and I would be happy to wear one and have no one know what it was, in terms of brand recognition or gen value, but it lacks a timing bezel, which is an essential feature for me, so I probably won't be getting one (but who knows :D )

To be really honest, I think It's a beautiful watch. I love the orig Omega SM case design, classic :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Glad you feel the same, bro :good: The funny thing is I didn't like the dial texture on the Quantum of Solace LE watch, but the white color really works nicely with it, a bit like the dial of the VC Overseas... I definitely think this watch could be a posterchild for fantasy watches :) I think the Planet Ocean is a great 'regeneration' of the original SM cases, certainly more aesthetically pleasing than a Sub case :)

Glad you feel the same, bro :good: The funny thing is I didn't like the dial texture on the Quantum of Solace LE watch, but the white color really works nicely with it, a bit like the dial of the VC Overseas... I definitely think this watch could be a posterchild for fantasy watches :) I think the Planet Ocean is a great 'regeneration' of the original SM cases, certainly more aesthetically pleasing than a Sub case :)

Dude you have to stop reading my mind :shock: This case design Is out of this world, It went to the moon over 40yrs ago, did It not? :D One of my favorites of all time. Spot on bro :good:

Dude you have to stop reading my mind :shock: This case design Is out of this world, It went to the moon over 40yrs ago, did It not? :D One of my favorites of all time. Spot on bro :good:

Great minds, and all that :drinks::tu: Indeed it did, not quite as simple a design as a sub case, given the shape of the lugs, but given how the crownguards are integrated into the side of the case, definitely more streamlined :victory: