When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shouldn't 8 beats always be 8 beats?

niveknow

Hello all,

I picked up a Rolex with the asian 2836-2 recently. I decided on it over the swiss ETA based on the recommendations of several people on this forum. i.e. Save the $$$ and swap it out when it breaks down. I picked it up for the high-beat 28,000 which I understand is the same rate as on a gen, but it doesn't sweep as smooth as a gen. Of course, I can't expect it to be 100% as the gen, but I would expect 8 beats to be 8 beats period. Are there some high beats that run smoother than others? My sweeping hand seems to "wobble" so that makes it not sweep smooth. Thanks!

Mine wasn't a nice crisp 8 ticks either (not a rolex, but movement is what I am talking about). I was thinking it could just get sloppy or something wasn't stopping and releasing the gear as smooth as it should or as clean as it should. I kind of thought it would clear up after getting serviced. I received a PM from someone who I will have looking at this watch (power reserve problem lasts anywhere from 4-6 hours on its back, to at most near 8 or 9 hours on the side) after I get paid next. When I get it back I will try to take another photo to see if it clears up any. Also if it is the gear or something along those lines I don't think it could be resolved without getting a new gear to put in place.

link to my seconds hand moving

no not really,, and maybe even if you put a brand new eta 2836 in there you still wont be happy as you can see the ticks on that as well some times, i can see the tics on my gen IWC and on my Logines and my wifes omega aqua terra.

Some people have said that the lack of QC and improper oiling of Chinese movements causes some of this, and a full service might fix you up

I am hoping so at least with mine. It is perfectly fine other than the power reserve lol. And I really don't see the seconds hand move regardless since it is a small one and I don't run the chronograph part.

I don't expect a perfect sweep as you mentioned your gens clicking, but it should be smooth to some degree at 8 beats per sec. My second hand seems to wobble, so that also adds to the issue with the smoothness. You guys would know better than this noob, so hopefully it'll smooth out when it gets serviced. I just cant justify spending the $ on the service now when it's new. Thanks!