When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2893 Install Questions ...

Martyd3

I just got my 2393 from Andy, which is beautiful, by the way. The movement is going in a 1655. I have an issue with date wheel clearance. The enclosed spacer does not give me enough room to install the Rolex date overlay. Any thoughts on how to pick up the millimeter or two of height that I need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Marty

I think you will have more luck reducing the height of the datewheel (with overlay). Assuming you have not yet (permanently) installed the overlay onto the datewheel, I would, at the very least, sand off the exiting layer of paint on the face of the datewheel. If possible, do a test-fit to see if that provides sufficient clearance. If not, then sand a bit of the metal off the datewheel & test fit again. That, in my experience, usually does the trick.

Also, make sure you reinstall the dial spacer the correct way. If you put it in backwards, it will change the distance between the dial & top of the movement, which might also be a problem.

I'm with you, it's driving me crazy too. I don't see an answer. If you raise the date wheel you don't have enough clearance from the dial to install the GMT hand.

Freddy, the Rolex style date wheel is already attached and it is actually hitting on the little gear that is used to set the GMT hand. It won't allow it to snap over quickly and hangs it up. Sanding either the date wheel or what it's attached to won't help with the clearance. Only thing I can imagine is a different style date wheel that doesn't have the little spokes that stick out over the movement.

I think you will have more luck reducing the height of the datewheel (with overlay). Assuming you have not yet (permanently) installed the overlay onto the datewheel, I would, at the very least, sand off the exiting layer of paint on the face of the datewheel. If possible, do a test-fit to see if that provides sufficient clearance. If not, then sand a bit of the metal off the datewheel & test fit again. That, in my experience, usually does the trick.

Also, make sure you reinstall the dial spacer the correct way. If you put it in backwards, it will change the distance between the dial & top of the movement, which might also be a problem.

Nothing has been done yet, so I am in good shape. What is correct way to install the spacer?

Thanks.