When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex Explorer

ongck77

Hi guys,

I've come across the following vintage piece in the local auction site.

baywatch51a1.jpg

SDC12171-s.jpg

SDC12170-s.jpg

"UP FOR YOU TO GRAB IS A VINTAGE ROLEX EXPLORER 369 PRECISION AUTOMATIC WATCH WITH ORIGINAL ROLEX MOVEMENT CALIBER 1530.IT IS ORIGINAL AND GENUINE AND AUTHENTIC ROLEX, MODEL 1002 AND SERIAL NO. IS 1328XXX YEAR AROUND 1960.THIS ROLEX IS KEEPING ACCURATE TIME AND IN GOOD CONDITION."

According to record, model 1002 is Oyster Perpertual? So there's the possiblity of redial of this Explorer?

Could you guys confirm its authenticity and what other areas should I look into to prove its originality.

Thanks in advance :)

Confirm? Not based on pics like those. :g:

Honest sellers, who want to show off the details of their watches, provide good, clear macros. Criminals, rogues & rip-off artists provide pics like these (fuzzy, distant, shaded, etc). Ask the seller to provide a good, clear macro of the dial, movement & numbering between the lugs. Ask for a pic of his original sales receipt (you are likely to get an excuse like 'gift from....' or 'lost' or 'just got a new camera & cannot get good pics out of it').

Always buy the seller BEFORE you buy the watch.

I was watching one of those same cases last week on eBay. It went for $51 + shipping.

Like you said it's an old Oyster Perpetual case. I was trying to figure out if it would work for an Explorer. Looks like I should have bought it.

I've built one of those from left over parts from another project...

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

1002's are typically the Air King cases with 5500 correct for either Air King or Explorer Precision. My case is signed 5500 between the lugs but 1002 on the caseback (which is typical).

Funny, as I'm planning on gifting mine to a friend...

Like ubi says, 5500 is fine for an Explorer Precision, but 1002 is an Oyster Perpetual case, so I'd figure it for a franken.

But if you can pick it up for $1000-1500, and it's been serviced, it's probably not a bad deal if you want a franken. Like kbh says, with a case, a dial from Yuki and the movement and hands, you can build your own. You can use any of the non-date 1500 movements- 1530, 1560, 1520 or 1570.

Thanks guys for the replies.

It's almost certain that this is 1002 case with explorer dial palced. I've sigthed the case back (stamped 1002) and 1530 movement.

What's the case size by the way and how much does it worth? (if I would to purcase)

Case is a tiny one; 34mm unpolished.

Value for a watch complete; essentially I bought my 5500 Air King for $890, but I wanted it specifically for the Rolex movement. The case parts were left over so I just pieced together a 5500 Explorer as a residual project...

5500 and 1002s typically sell around that range, though some may sell higher depending on condition, papers, etc.