When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mini Review of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

TswissT

Ole Puretime has come through again for me... :)

Communication has really turned around...No more trying to get Peter...Although none of my communication was with someone named "Angus," Puretime sure did respond well within 24 hours of every question. Shipping and buying was just plain easy.

Anyway...

Although not the most accurate rep out there, this one is still quite nice...

The first give away on this one is that the seconds are running at 9. The gen has sec. at 6. (Notice the numbers are all wrong... (Rep: 60, 15, 30, 45) (Gen: 12, 3, 6, 9) Seeing that I have never met ANYONE who owns (much less heard of) Blancpain; I got this because their watches just look RIGHT!!!

The subdials sizes look slightly off, especially at 6.

The date is slightly sunken on this one, but definitely not the worst I have ever seen.

The rose gold is not too bad...Looks a little copper/bronze, but not bad for something other than DLC/PVD/SS... :)

The AR SUCKS!!!! It makes the dial look slightly blue and it hides the slightly innaccurate but still appealing details of the dial. :)

The bezel has pretty decent lume for being factory lume, and the clicking is just about on par with any rep bezels I have felt thus far. Not rattling, but slightly wobbly from left to right. Probably needs some floss.

Here are a few shots I just took:

P1020507.jpg

P1020508.jpg

P1020509.jpg

P1020515.jpg

P1020529.jpg

P1020532.jpg

P1020533.jpg

P1020536.jpg

Overall not bad...I would have preferred a non-chrono, but that would just be too easy/accurate for the factories to produce. ;)

Gen pic for reference:

GenFF.jpg

Feels quite nicely on the wrist... Not too big; not too small.

Strap is not too bad... Carbon Fiber-esque; but very soft and confortable.

As for the wristie... Please excuse my wristie-retardation pictures. My hands shake more than a 90 year old with parkinsons... (please don't be offended) :)

P1020535.jpg

T Swiss T-

Thanks for the review. That is one of the few recent gens that I have been lusting for for a while. The rep does look pretty good but I must confess I have to think about the wrong sub-dial functionality - that has usually been a deal killer for me. But god do I want that watch. Great pics. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If they would ONLY come out with the NON-Chrono version...

Give me a few weeks and I will have a complete side-by-side gen to rep comparison... :)

Buddy has the gen of this watch; and we really want to compare the Rose Gold finish; as well as the other details. :)

Thanks for this writeup!

I kinda like this one, and have no problem with the subidals since they make perfect sense on the rep. Who will care if it runs @6 or @9 as long as the dial looks right?

I would be more interested in knowing about the lume as this watch seems to be all about lume. Is is standard rep-lume or have they for once improved on the usual standard?

And if not, is it possible to re-lume the bezel (I guess the dial would be re-lumable...)

One of my favorite reps Is a Breitling Motors T I purchased about a yrear ago, stunning timepiece. I picked It up for around $150.00 brand new, I could not pass on the price. The running secs are at the 9 Instead of the 6, dosent bother me In the least. I have never really considerd a Blancpain FF. But after seeing yours I really want one. Beautiful watch and nice write up, thanks. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike