When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back for a Visit

Guest Carl

Guest Carl

Back from the episode which dropped me in my last real visit...

Not really important to me or you now, but, here I am:

The question is this-

What is more important to you as a rep customer:

Cost-benefit ratio of the rep or,

Perfection not primarily related to cost.

If you buy watches with modding in mind, state it.

I have lately had some time to think on this and other topics so I would appreciate anything you have to offer.

Carl

Perfection isn't my main priority, so I would say cost-benefit ratio of the rep :)

I do buy watches with modding in mind, but my take on modding is more along the model-builder's ethos of 'kit-bashing' rather than modifying a watch for the goal of bringing it closer to the genuine original.

[quote name='TeeJay' date='03 May 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1272886142' post='830986'

I do buy watches with modding in mind, but my take on modding is more along the model-builder's ethos of 'kit-bashing' rather than modifying a watch for the goal of bringing it closer to the genuine original.

Im not much of a modder so I guess the overall quailty Is whats most Important to me. I do like when a rep Is accurate, who dosent? :pardon: But when I lay down my hard earned mony I like to feel that I at least got my moneys worth. The truth Is I feel that I get much more than my moneys worth on most of my rep purchases. I purchased a Pam111 about a year ago for a little over $100.00 from Watcheden. It's not a bad watch but It dosent have that great ff that my more expensive Pams do. The cg Is cheep looking and It has a mineral crystal thats already scratched. It's difficult for me to like this watch. I dont feel that I got my moneys worth. My first nice rep was a Pam250 and the quailty of that watch Is on completely different level. I have had this discussion with my buddy TeeJay on several ocassions. We agree that there are reps available that are of good quailty that can be had for around the $100.00 mark. The only "main" difference Is the movement. I have a UN with the 25J that I absolutely love. Saphire crystal, good AR decent lume and a very nice ss bracelet. It Is also a excellent time keeper. This Is a rep of very good quailty the you can get for around $150.00 or so. I dont mind spending around $300.00 on a rep If the quailty Is there, this of course Is more about the movement. When you factor In what the gens go for I feel that this Is a no brainer. I also can understand someone buying a cheeper rep and upgrading (mod) the timepieces to bring It closer In line to the gen. I have a not modded a rep yet but i probably will someday. I just need to find that certain watch that I feel Is worth the time and effort and money to do. So my answer Is, perfection Is not my main priority, quailty Is. :drinks: Mike

Cost benefit is #1 but any serious modding tend to violate this principle

The replica should be as close to the original as possible out of the box, and obviosuly since the volums will then be larger the price will be reasonable as well....individual modding from an unaccurate staring point makes things quite expensive...

When I first got into reps, I was more into modding everything. movements, crystals, relume, bezels, inserts,gen crown/tube. As I've gotten older and more reluctant to part with my hard earned money, I am leaning more and more toward watches that are pretty good "out the box". I really don't have the time or the tools to take on anything serious. I can change/adjust bracelets, springbars, pop off bezels to change inserts, but as far as getting into the mechanicals, I'm out of my league. At this point, I prefer watches that will only require lume jobs, possibly replacing the crystal and having the movement serviced. I am willing to pay more for a higher quality rep that only requires the minimum to get it where it should be.