When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

watches held in german customs - they called - what to do

simzger

hello fellow members

today i received a call from the german custom in leipzig (they called) - they want me to declare what's in the parcel, probably to tax it.

now the thing is that there's quite a load of watches in that order (five 7750 chronos from one of trusted dealers). so if i would pay taxes on the gen prices, that would be quite a lot of money.

as my trusted dealer said he would take the customs risk, what should i do so i don't lose my money?

should i just tell them i have not ordered this and it will be returned to the initial sender? i called DHL and they said there is an address in hong kong from the sender.

or what shoud i do?

would be very glad if somone could help me and tell me what to do.

thanks a lot

simzger

[quote name='simzger' date=

or what shoud i do?

hello i wouldent let them send it back if the package is packed as watches then just tell them they are some watches i have ordered from the internet as im a watch enthusiast, they will ask you for an invoice to pay import taxes or vat tell them the watches are for your personel use but check with the site that sold you the watches to see how he has packed them they may want to open package with you present this is normal talk with member fxrAndy who is from germany he may be able to advise you dont worry!

Edited by aeromatic

dam :black_eye: man from where did he shipped ? direct from hongkong to germany???

did you didnt know that almost every package from third partys like hong kong will go to customs?

5 watches in on delivery :whistling: why you didnt split it into more deliverys?

and to your declare.. they allready know whats inside your package..and i bet they know that rep watches are in.

the office didnt opend it, but the customs at the airport did it.

im sorry but i dont think you can get this watches from them, i hope for you your dealer helps you out, cause 5 watches are a lot of money

theres no chance for you to get them when you have to open the pack and they see the fake, also when you show them how much you paid for it, you can get it in when you are in holidays somewhere..but you cant import them via mail, thats not allowed... as far as i know. im from germany too. and had also some meetings with customs, once they didnt gave me my alligator strap from hong kong,

as i said, why you have send it direct to you buddy?? did a watch made it to you when shipped from hongkong?

theres no chance for you to get them when you have to open the pack and they see the fake, also when you show them how much you paid for it, you can get it in when you are in holidays somewhere..but you cant import them via mail, thats not allowed... as far as i know. im from germany too. and had also some meetings with customs, once they didnt gave me my alligator strap from hong kong,

as i said, why you have send it direct to you buddy?? did a watch made it to you when shipped from hongkong?

hi, until now, i never had a problem with shipping from GZ to germany. and we are talking quite many parcels. sometimes the dealer shipped em via dubai, often via HK.

but lets stick to the topic and the current situation.

i think the germans will look the gen prices up in the internet and taxes on the gens would be expensive - otherwise they would find out they're fake and confiscate them.

why can't i just say i did not order anything and it goes back to the sender?

my dealer said he would take customs risk - he would not take it to switzerland but to germany. that's why i usually ship to germany. should i get in touch with my dealer and ask him?

best

simzger

they probably know`whatds in it already by laser scan

so what should i do?

yeah that would the best thing, ask your dealer what to do

are you sure this is a good idea? he may say that he only refunds if they seized and destroyed the watches. but as of now, the watches are not destroyed...

simzger

Edited by simzger

hello

BIG UPDATE from my friend in germany:

it was not customs that called, it was DHL.

they faxed a bunch of forms to my friend in germany, i think he needs to declare whats in the parcel for VAT.

1 x "avisierung einer importsendung" (DHL form) - i can choose "verzollung", "T1", or "sonstiges"...and more stuff

1 x copy of the sticker on the packet with barcodes and stuff like that (incl. sender address)

1 x commercial invoice (declared as "1 x plastic watch (sample)" with value of $30. there is an address in hong kong, too, from the sender.)

does anyone know what i should do?

thanks

simzger

Edited by simzger

I suspect that they will either charge you tax for the value of gens (if any of the watches contain the word 'Rolex', I have heard stories where they attempt to charge the buyer/importer for the total value of the gen watches) or seize the package as illegal contraband. As others have said, I would always refer these types of questions to your seller 1st (give him 24 hours to respond).

are you sure this is a good idea? he may say that he only refunds if they seized and destroyed the watches. but as of now, the watches are not destroyed...

simzger

but the customs have not said they have seized the watches? i have had this in more than one country just take an invoice and or payment slip go down there and speak to them when they open them just tell them i bought them on the internet as far as you know they are watches just watches cheap. i paid the taxes and took the watches they may only want you to pay some taxes dont forget that the customs dont know the value as there wont be an invoice in the package and they know that goods from china are always declared by the sender as a gift or low value, almost all packages go though customs are opened at recieving end when package arrive from outside europe, if you tell them you dident order them they will suspect something and think you are a counterfiet importer and distributor of fake watches. just tell them this is the first time to buy from the internet and you dont know the procedure. i hope you get your watches be calm! europe is one of the biggest importers from china! goodluck

Edited by aeromatic

but the customs have not said they have seized the watches? i have had this in more than one country just take an invoice and or payment slip go down there and speak to them when they open them just tell them i bought them on the internet as far as you know they are watches just watches cheap. i paid the taxes and took the watches they may only want you to pay some taxes dont forget that the customs dont know the value as there wont be an invoice in the package and they know that goods from china are always declared by the sender as a gift or low value, almost all packages go though customs are opened at recieving end when package arrive from outside europe, if you tell them you dident order them they will suspect something and think you are a counterfiet importer and distributor of fake watches. just tell them this is the first time to buy from the internet and you dont know the procedure. i hope you get your watches be calm! europe is one of the biggest importers from china! goodluck

hi!

yes, the watches are with DHL now.

thanks

i still am not sure what to do...sending back would not be an option? and then try again by splitting up and send via registered airmail?

thanks

simzger

sorry, i cannot help, I'm in the UK and I have never hads goods retained by customs before..

All I can sy is that the dealer is stupid to send the watches in one big package, he should know by now that single wathes go through customs much easier than a package of 5 watches which look more suspicious, and potentially commercial in nature.

Declare it "fashion jewelry" - however that translates in to German. (That also translates in to "junk" in English, ;) ) Tell them you paid 50 Euros or so. Then if it gets seized, contact your dealer. Though I am surprised there is no declaration on the parcel by the sender. Try to find out how it was valued by the sender.

My $0.02.

EU member gets customs problems:

Another chapter to the very thick book: Why didn't I use an EU-based dealer?

Precious Time might not have a big stock, his prices may be a bit higher and sourcing the watches can take a week or so. But ask yourself: Is it really worth the risk?

Sorry for being an ass, but this is exactly how I feel every time when I read these. And believe me, there have been hundreds of posts like this over the years.

Ordering more than 2 watches from far east (in EU) = it's literally begging for trouble.

EU member gets customs problems:

Another chapter to the very thick book: Why didn't I use an EU-based dealer?

Precious Time might not have a big stock, his prices may be a bit higher and sourcing the watches can take a week or so. But ask yourself: Is it really worth the risk?

Sorry for being an ass, but this is exactly how I feel every time when I read these. And believe me, there have been hundreds of posts like this over the years.

Ordering more than 2 watches from far east (in EU) = it's literally begging for trouble.

At a mere 14 posts away from the 9000 mark, BT, you've been on a roll lately! :drinks:

Wise advise, needless to say...

I agree with Chieftang.....you could also say something about using them for parts....I had a similar issue a few years back and told them I purchased two watches for pennies to use for parts....they bought it and sent them to me.

I have bought gens from the US. Yes, they got stopped by the customs and they were asking for vat 22%.

The trick: Make 2 PayPal payments. Let's say the watch costs you $2K.

Make it $400 and $1600. When the customs nazis want to see the PP receipt, of course you bring them the $400 one. It's up to you how much you want to play there... you can try a $100 receipt too, but it might be pushing it...

Tested and working. Bought my Fish that way. It might not work with Rolex watches, but you're safe with "unknown" not-so-expensive sounding brands like Breitling, TAG and even Omega.

@Chief: Damn you're right. I didn't notice the post count.

hi!

yes, the watches are with DHL now.

thanks

i still am not sure what to do...sending back would not be an option? and then try again by splitting up and send via registered airmail?

thanks

simzger

my friend speak with dhl dont worry i have bought once 20 watches from china they packed them all in one package i dident expect that but the watch faces were packed with bubblewrap they counted the watches they did not unwrapp the watches

they wanted a payment reciept and an invoice from the site and then charged me 15% vat i think that your watches will be packed like this tell them they are not for resale they are family gifts dhl have a procedure to follow with regards to customs last year alone i bought over 60 watches some for friends family and some i sold on! goodluck let us know how you got on remember think positive!

I don't know how you guys survive in the EU. In our neck of the woods all they care is that it is not a bomb. Best of luck in any case.

Rumors of a VAT being introduced here in the USA aren't dying easily. So before long, US Customs may have a "good" reason to care. GRRRR!!!!

@By-Tor - 22% is an absolute OBSCENITY! **shudder**

I don't know how you guys survive in the EU. In our neck of the woods all they care is that it is not a bomb. Best of luck in any case.

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim: mabe we should emigrate to the states! at least in the states they got there prioties right!! i mean copy right? replicas shouldent be a concern to customs we all read about companies like rolex loosing millions of dollors from lost sales? come on who are they kiddin most people who buy replicas would not buy or can not afford to buy the gen! at over 4000 usd, plus there overpriced aftersales service charges! it would only affect them if reps were sold passed off as gens mabe they should pay money to rep makers for advertising there trademark ? after all imitation is the best form of flattery! i see some repsellers in the disclaimer stating Quote: (our watches are imitation and are not exact copies please support the brand names by buying from there Authorised dealer shop )well you cant be more fair than that! No offence intended!

Edited by aeromatic

In many ways it's a blessing that I don't live in the US. I would have bought tons of gens if I did... preowned gen prices are about 30-40% less over there, and the online market is like 100X bigger.

Weird isn't it? The watches are manufactured here but we pay a lot more for them.

Here is a EU-based online watch sales site. Just test the waters with some popular model, like Steelfish. There is one 42mm version in crappy condition for 1000 Euros, but the rest are in the $2K range. TZ.uk is the only watch forum which is strictly EU-based but there isn't much happening over there...

I don't know why... the EU has bigger population and bigger economic than the US but the luxury preowned online watch market is miniscule... and generally you guys are MUCH ahead in all online business ventures anyway...